Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: miata as a daily driver?

Default miata as a daily driver?

after figuring up my taxas and filing on turbotax, i found that im getting a $973 tax return. this plus the money ive got in savings will make a decent down payment. i took nearly 1000 out a few months back and bought a new handgun, an Hechler & Koch USP Tactical in 45auto. now im wishing that i had the extra for the downpayment. i think after getting the money, im gonna start looking to buy the miata. ive seen a few MSMs for around 15K (classic mazda in denton has 3 used MSMs right now). if i can find one for around that price, ill probably spring for it, if not im looking to spend about 12-13 on an LS with around 50K miles.

ive been doing alot of thinking recently about having a miata as an only car. i could keep the saturn, but ive had it since high school and im ready to just wash my hands of it and get something new. if i were to keep it- itd mean an extra $100 a month insurance and twice the registration,inspection and maintenance costs as well.

there arent alot of cars that i am REALLY interested in. ive thought about buying a 2000 or 2001 S2000, but the insurance is rediculous. nearly as much as the car payment, and ive got a flawless driving record.

no car makes me grin as big as a miata in the same price range. im 24, no kids, so i do really see a problem with the size of the car other than a little less comfort. i have to carry equipment for work every now and then, but i guess i could take the company vans from now on when i have to.

any advice or....well....anything?

You might want to call you agent and see what the insurance is for Miata alone vs Saturn as DD and Miata as second car. I was surprised how little it was to have an extra car insured.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Get the Miata. If you ever need to haul more, then HF to the rescue
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I think you said it best, "no car makes me grin as big as a miata".
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

At 24... you should wait until you turn 25. Your insurance costs will drop like a rock.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

The Miata is great as a daily for those of us who are unencumbered by family, band equipment, spools of cable, etc.!

You might just want to put some thought into what tires you use on a daily. I've run across a few bits of road on frozen mornings that are less than inspiring on Azenis.
    Aside from that, go for it! You won't regret it!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

My 99' is a daily driver. I do have a truck for backup in case the weather sucks or I need to haul something bigger than a breadbox.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    My 99' is a daily driver. I do have a truck for backup in case the weather sucks or I need to haul something bigger than a breadbox.
    How far do you drive to work again?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post

I MOVED in a Miata. All my belongings except what wouldn't fit in it.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    The Miata is great as a daily for those of us who are unencumbered by family, band equipment, spools of cable, etc.!
    +1

I've had a wild assortment of daily drivers - from the balls-out Z28 to the $600 beater RX-7 to the Big Beast 4x4 Suburban to the 20-yr-old gray market BMW - and I finally decided that not only was I going to buy a Miata, but I was going to make it work as my daily driver. So far, it's been the best car I've had in a long while - it makes you simplify things. I'm getting ready to take it on a big 1600 mile road trip, so I'll report back on that in a couple of weeks...

Anyhow, the short of it is: GO FOR IT!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post

My day job includes transportation so my Miata is a garage queen.

But my wife has a Miata as a daily driver and she loves it!

My Miata is my only vehicle, so daily driving is a given. I love it, the top is down almost all the time, and despite the ice and snow my car has performed beautifully lately. I also loaded it to the gills when I moved out here, and it carried more than I thought. And for me, nothing is more relaxing that the 5 hour drive home with the top down.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    It's about a 20' walk from my bed to my desk.

I used mine as a daily driver for most of the five years I owned it. In fact, when I bought it I had a Civic sedan that was my daily driver, and the Miata was supposed to be the "weekends only" car. Long story short, I sold the Civic not long after buying the Miata because it was the car I always left at home!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

My MSM is my daily driver. I put about 30,000 miles a year on a vehicle and this one is no exception. My insurance rates went up $1 per six month policy when I switched from the 04 Hybrid Civic.

I love my car.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

awesome. thanks for the replies. cant wait to get my tax return and start looking.

I practically live out of my car driving all over the metro-mess to different hockey rinks and friend's places. Only problem I have is fitting my players equipment or when I need to say pick up my engine from the shop. One option for the Miata is to get the trailer hitch and you can get all types of attachements for it, such as a luggage basket thing to strap stuff to.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

this car has been sitting at Town North for 3 months- seriously. wonder if i could get them to deal? LOL.

linky

freeman mazda in irving ALWAYS has a few used miatas on hand. more than any other dealerships usually. hancock in mesquite charges more than any other stealerships ive seen. they had a 99 base model with 26k on the clock- wanted 12900 for it. drove it a few weeks ago.

im limited to buying fom dealerships because of my nonexistant credit. ive already talked to my bank (BOA). they wouldnt finance me, and if they would have itd been at 10-something %. everyone gets that rate if they qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by RX7-2nr View Post
    after figuring up my taxas and filing on turbotax, i found that im getting a $973 tax return. this plus the money ive got in savings will make a decent down payment. i took nearly 1000 out a few months back and bought a new handgun, an Hechler & Koch USP Tactical in 45auto. now im wishing that i had the extra for the downpayment. i think after getting the money, im gonna start looking to buy the miata. ive seen a few MSMs for around 15K (classic mazda in denton has 3 used MSMs right now). if i can find one for around that price, ill probably spring for it, if not im looking to spend about 12-13 on an LS with around 50K miles.

ive been doing alot of thinking recently about having a miata as an only car. i could keep the saturn, but ive had it since high school and im ready to just wash my hands of it and get something new. if i were to keep it- itd mean an extra $100 a month insurance and twice the registration,inspection and maintenance costs as well.

there arent alot of cars that i am REALLY interested in. ive thought about buying a 2000 or 2001 S2000, but the insurance is rediculous. nearly as much as the car payment, and ive got a flawless driving record.

no car makes me grin as big as a miata in the same price range. im 24, no kids, so i do really see a problem with the size of the car other than a little less comfort. i have to carry equipment for work every now and then, but i guess i could take the company vans from now on when i have to.

any advice or....well....anything?
    If there's ANY way you can hold out for the MSM do it. Trust me on this. Yes, insurance is a little higher, but perhaps that could be shopped around? That's what we did... ended up switching insurance. Ours wanted $90 a month more and I'm 37 with a clean record! Now we're on State Farm for "only" $45/mo more. At 25 your rates will drop (and then again just after 30... 32 was when mine dropped again). Find your own financing. Go to Lending Tree.com. There's an option to do an auto loan. I did that to buy my MSM and ended up with 1/2 the interest rate so that my monthly payment went up one dollar and I put nothing down. So... it can be done. Finding your own lender is easy, but dealers don't like it because they don't get the "kickback" from it.

If you're giving your next car this much thought, give some thought to your processes to make it work for you. Unless your credit is a TOTAL spiraling pit of despair, you can do it. Don't settle.

Good luck,
    Aku
    '04 Ti MSM

"Drive till you hear glass and smell sh**!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast