Thread: I need front upper ball joints/control arms....

Default I need front upper ball joints/control arms....

Trying to finish out my 240k mile overhaul and am thinking the front ball joints need to be replaced. The boots are either worn out or torn from replacing a spindle. Is there any place other than the dealer that carries the front upper control arms? I called Town North and their price was around $230 each! Ouch!

What discount does the Mazdaspeed account give you and how do you get one? As much as I drive and the amount of track days I go to a parts discount would be nice!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Trying to finish out my 240k mile overhaul and am thinking the front ball joints need to be replaced. The boots are either worn out or torn from replacing a spindle. Is there any place other than the dealer that carries the front upper control arms? I called Town North and their price was around $230 each! Ouch!

What discount does the Mazdaspeed account give you and how do you get one? As much as I drive and the amount of track days I go to a parts discount would be nice!
    I replaced both of the front upper control arms on my '99 due to autocross wear. IIRC, the Mazdacomp price was about $100 each. This included the front upper ball joints.

Becoming a Mazdacomp member is easy - simply fax or email them results from two competitive events every 12 months, and you'll stay eligible (FYI for those with more than one Mazda in the family, you must send results for each car, so for example if you own an NA and an NB, you need results for both cars to order parts for both cars). Unfortunately, they must be competition events - lapping days don't qualify. Autocrosses, time trials, rallycross, etc., but they must be competitive events, and you must show your finishing position on the results.

REQUIREMENTS & LIMITATIONS

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for the purchase of any parts through the MAZDASPEED MOTORSPORTS DEVELOPMENT team support program, including stock and competition parts, you must be registered in our program with current race results, or building a new car and be able to prove membership in a racing organization.

If you have results.

You must provide copies of official race results from 2 events you participated in within the past twelve months. The race results must include the following information:
    - Event name and date held
    - Sanctioning organization/club holding the event
    - Your name
    - Model of Mazda raced
    - Finishing position

If you are building your car.

If your race car is currently under construction, the race results requirement will be temporarily waived if you can provide a copy of your racing club membership card (SCCA, NASA, etc.). You will be required to provide a completion date for the first race you plan to compete in. You will need to provide race results from your first event within 30 days after the competition.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Becoming a Mazdacomp member is easy - simply fax or email them results from two competitive events every 12 months, and you'll stay eligible...
    That's strange... the last results I gave them were for 2005 but they still sold me the parts I needed recently. I wonder if they're changing the rules... or if I just got extremely lucky.

I replaced both of the front upper control arms on my '99 due to autocross wear. IIRC, the Mazdacomp price was about $100 each. This included the front upper ball joints.

Becoming a Mazdacomp member is easy - simply fax or email them results from two competitive events every 12 months, and you'll stay eligible (FYI for those with more than one Mazda in the family, you must send results for each car, so for example if you own an NA and an NB, you need results for both cars to order parts for both cars). Unfortunately, they must be competition events - lapping days don't qualify. Autocrosses, time trials, rallycross, etc., but they must be competitive events, and you must show your finishing position on the results.
    Thanks for the info. I've become pretty buddy buddy with the owners, I bet I could get Hallett to change the printout for the track day time sheets since I go almost every month! In the mean time, wonder if I could treat someone to lunch for ordering them for me.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    That's strange... the last results I gave them were for 2005 but they still sold me the parts I needed recently. I wonder if they're changing the rules... or if I just got extremely lucky.
    I'll call them Monday and let them know for ya!

So, if I plan to attend 2 autoX events later this year then I can have an account activated now? Haven't really read the link yet, but that sounds like a plan. Guess I'll have to mark the next event down.

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    So, if I plan to attend 2 autoX events later this year then I can have an account activated now? Haven't really read the link yet, but that sounds like a plan. Guess I'll have to mark the next event down.
    Yeah, but you've got to decide which two and let them know, and if they don't get results as expected within 30 days of the event, your account gets canceled.

Then again, that delayed results thing is typically for race cars in progress. Not sure how they'd handle an autocross car.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

(FYI for those with more than one Mazda in the family, you must send results for each car,
    Dang! So Can I AutoX the MPV too?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Dang! So Can I AutoX the MPV too?
    Why not. They race pickup trucks in nascar. Start a new trend.

BR's racing.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Yeah, but you've got to decide which two and let them know, and if they don't get results as expected within 30 days of the event, your account gets canceled.

Then again, that delayed results thing is typically for race cars in progress. Not sure how they'd handle an autocross car.
    Hmm...I'll have to look into it, I hope they'll allow it. I need to replace the following asap:
    • upper balljoints/control arms
    • tie rod ends as the boots are torn after replacing a spindle
    • the lower ball joints cause they have 240k miles on them
    • a front hub
    • shift boot seals/shifter springs for my new tranny to be installed