Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change Tips

Default Oil Change Tips

Alrighty... I just did my first oil change on "Aku". A few things of note. 1) Terrible place for the oil filter! Damn near impossible to get to and when the oil runs out, it's all over the bloody subframe! 2) The panel under the engine... wow. What, no service flap? The whole thing had to come off to avoid getting filled with oil.

Needless to say, it was somewhat messy and I used a lot of brake cleaner to try to get the oil off of the subframe. Anyone have any solutions to the oily mess oil change? I'd be greatful.

M
    '04 Ti MSM

"Drive till you hear glass and smell sh**!"

I dont remove the panel. Instead I use a cheap baby diaper right under the oil filter. It is very absorbent. I can fit my arms between the intake manifold and take the filter out from there. It is tricky, but easier than laying on my back. Or you can reach up from behind the front wheel and get to it also. Alot of people remove the wheel to make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    I dont remove the panel. Instead I use a cheap baby diaper right under the oil filter. It is very absorbent. I can fit my arms between the intake manifold and take the filter out from there. It is tricky, but easier than laying on my back. Or you can reach up from behind the front wheel and get to it also. Alot of people remove the wheel to make it easier.
    that's what I did with the filter. takes me about 5 minutes of different maneuvering but it works.

Try replacing the filter on a 2nd gen CR-V or an RX-8 and you'll never complain about the Miata again...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Instead I use a cheap baby diaper right under the oil filter.
    Well now that you're married and have one on the way , you won't have a problem coming by cheap diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Well now that you're married and have one on the way , you won't have a problem coming by cheap diapers.

Yup! And as an added bonus his neighbors won't stare at him wondering when he takes the packages out of the car anymore.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Or you could buy a Subaru. Changing the oil on the wife's 9-2X is a breeze. The filter hangs straight down, in plain view. Reach up, unscrew it, carefully pull it down so you don't spill any over the sides, and replace it with a new one. Ridiculously easy.

The filter on the Si, on the other hand, is as much of a PITA as any Miata.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Aku View Post
    Alrighty...
    Needless to say, it was somewhat messy and I used a lot of brake cleaner to try to get the oil off of the subframe. Anyone have any solutions to the oily mess oil change? I'd be greatful.
    M
    You might try taking the right front tire off to get to the oil filter. You can control the oil drip more and clean what drips around the subframe.
    It keeps it off the belly pan also. I think taking the wheel off is a lot easier than the belly pan.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Or you could buy a Subaru. Changing the oil on the wife's 9-2X is a breeze. The filter hangs straight down, in plain view. Reach up, unscrew it, carefully pull it down so you don't spill any over the sides, and replace it with a new one. Ridiculously easy.
    The BMW 3 series is even easier. It's a cartridge filter with a canister that opens on the top of the engine bay. No need to go under the car for anything but the oil pan.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    The BMW 3 series is even easier. It's a cartridge filter with a canister that opens on the top of the engine bay. No need to go under the car for anything but the oil pan.
    Oh goody. One more reason to buy a 335i Coupe.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Same with my Fathers' Cadilac V8 CTS.

He was amazed at how easy it was to change the oil.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post

Not so much, but thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    The filter on the Si, on the other hand, is as much of a PITA as any Miata.
    Don't you just love how close it is to the header? On the Type S, there's a STB that runs along the firewall, but there's just enough room to fit my arm through the gap. It's a blind grab, and I got hold of the (Comptech) header's #1 runner.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Yes, my mechanic will do it for $10 if I supply the oil and filter. It's worth it, just because he has a lift and can see what he's doing.

S.

Talking

My Toyota 4Runner is the easiest ever! I pull into the Toyota service bay the nice folks ask what I want, they give me a pager and say they will get it done quick for me. I go check out the free snackage, they page me, I pay and drive off! The joys of NMC!

But my Miatas are tricky, I got a nice scar on my arm from a failed attempt to get the filter from above while the car was still hot.

I take the oil filter out the same was as Majik with a shop towel underneath. I use thick rubber gloves for grip and so I don't burn my forearms on the intake manifold.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I just skip changing the filter and only change the oil. I wash my car a lot, so the oil should be clean, anyway.

Yes, that was humor.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yes, that was humor.
    Are you sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast