Thread: Computer Help (ACS EMS)

Default Computer Help (ACS EMS)

Who uses the computer anti skid and anti spin?

I only use it on the over 1000 HP cars. Otherwise I can't control the car like I want to.

Thats the reason I hate the time trials, I can't figure out how to turn off the comp assistance.

Chris

I use some traction control here and there as it helps to provide more "realistic" throttle control given the limited range of the dual shock controllers. I don't use stability control.

Part of the challenge of the Time Trials is driving cars that don't behave the way you want them to... All the settings - including ASC and TCS - are fixed.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

When I have a choice? No stability control. Traction control only on 500hp and up, and even then only on level 1.

Interesting side effect of the defaults on the Time Trials... they force you to find the upper limit of conservative driving.

Consider the circumstances in which the "nannies" kick in: when you are burning rubber on the drive wheels, or when you are understeering, oversteering, or drifting. Roadracering theory suggests that (1) these circumstances are not the fastest way around the track, and (2) these conditions reduce tire life. It's not that you should avoid breaking loose at all costs, but ideally you don't want to do it all the time either.

Consider also the retardive effect of these "nannies" when they kick in: it costs you time. So, you have to tiptoe on the grip threshold without going over to get the fastest time.

(Sure, I'm a nerd. What of it?)

Interesting explanation.

I would disagree a certain amount about some grip being lost as being slower.

Handling limits are subjective and inconsistent based on tires, temp, road surface, and even fuel in the car.

I would agree your point is more correct when talking about a F1 car with alot higher PWR/WGT ratio, but that with slower cars you have to dial in a certain amount of slip to make the cars turn effectivley.

For example, I like most of my cars setup pretty loose. I like the dif. to be alot less locking to alow the car to rotate easier and to get on the throttle earlier.

It's all about that handling balance that you want to maintain.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

I agree with your disagreement. Rereading my response, I see I failed to recognize that the topic at hand is purely GT3.

Certainly there are tons of variables in The Real World, and some of them can be simulated in games like GT3. Perhaps ironically, the Time Trials remove several variables.

I might disagree with you about slower cars needing more slip, though. In my opinion, oversteer is preferable to understeer, but balance is preferable to oversteer.

Funny story (not): When I was running the stock Z06 in the domestic enduros (I forget the name now), I took to throwing it through corners with heavy oversteer (aka "drifting") because it gave me the braking I needed while balancing the tire wear. Not the fastest way around the track, and not very realistic, but it reduced my pit stops. In almost any other car, when tire wear is a factor, I wind up driving more ASM- and TCS-friendly even with them turned all the way off.