Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing dash light color

Default Changing dash light color

I have green lighted boost gauges and want to change the dash lights to green. Will these work and is it hard to get to the bulbs behind the dash?

http://corksport.com/store/item/i2gh...s_-_Green.html
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Just go buy some different color rubber/plastic caps that fit over the bulbs and give you the color you want.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I thought of that as another solution but how hard is it to get to the lights and are there any write-ups on how to do it?
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Not sure on the NBs, but the NAs don't use bulb covers for the HVAC controls. I was talking to BR about it and he said there is a film applied to the back of the whole panel.

The plastic dome over the instrument pannel is clipped on and requires being pulled up, very easy to do. Had to remove it for the factory alarm install on my 05.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Just get couple of the tiny, little red bulb condoms that came with your gauges. Gary has a bunch of them from all the kits he sells.

Maybe he'll give you a couple extra for your personal use

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    Maybe he'll give you a couple extra for your personal use
    Wouldn't they be too big?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Not sure on the NBs, but the NAs don't use bulb covers for the HVAC controls. I was talking to BR about it and he said there is a film applied to the back of the whole panel.
    Now that's interesting. Wonder if I could go blue to match my CD player and my new gauges...

Hey, colored Saran wrap!!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Wouldn't they be too big?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Now that's interesting. Wonder if I could go blue to match my CD player and my new gauges...

Hey, colored Saran wrap!!
    No.. he implied that it wasn't removable... You might have to scrape/sand it off.

Vatozone used to sell different color bulbs for instrument gauges. If not, go to Azle art supply or Michalles and get some of the 'stained glass' liquid stain and dip the bulb in whatever color you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    No.. he implied that it wasn't removable... You might have to scrape/sand it off.
    Well gee, we don't want to go through any trouble to mod our cars...

I may try it sometime, like when I grease the speedo cable to get rid of that INFERNAL SQUEAKING!!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    The plastic dome over the instrument pannel is clipped on and requires being pulled up, very easy to do. Had to remove it for the factory alarm install on my 05.
    Maybe on an 05 its easy. Most NA's, even very nice ones, have seen enough sun and miles to make pulling the gauge hood off a pita. I've had 2 crack.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Well gee, we don't want to go through any trouble to mod our cars...

I may try it sometime, like when I grease the speedo cable to get rid of that INFERNAL SQUEAKING!!
    Grafite,

By the way, you can buy a new internal part of the speedo cable at most auto parts stores for $10. Of course you may have a crack in the sleeve causing water to get in and rust the cable.

Had to replace one on the FIAT(sorry, about the four letter word).

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

grease the speedo cable to get rid of that INFERNAL SQUEAKING!!
    Hey -, you sure that's not your battery rattling around in the trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Hey -, you sure that's not your battery rattling around in the trunk?
    Hmm... I don't normally like to picked on but I don't think you guys will let me forget ANYTHING wrong with my car until I fix it. I guess that's a good thing

I'm off to get my registration done too. After I pay my brothers inspection citation for him. With his money, of course
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Hey--anyone wanna know what Timmy named his car????
    :)
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

When I was a kid I had pet bunnies and they made a squeaking noise when they mated.

Tim,

Why not just change your new gauges to match the rest of your car. Amber is better for night vision anyway and with your age you need all the help you can get with night vision.

In regards to the NA. I've changed the illumination on mine so I'll tell you what I found out.

The gauges, hazard/pop-up are easy. Just get different colored bulb covers. The HVAC is a different problem. The green is a film applied to the back. The graphic on the HVAC is actually glued to the plastic with the film a part of that applique. I know of no one who has succesfully changed the color.

My solution was the AWD HVAC panel which is permanently illuminated amber. Moss also sold a different HVAC Applique at one time.

The other issue for me is the auxillary switches. Cruise, Foglights and Dimmer. These also have a green film whish I have been unable to remove. They are still green on my car.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Hey--anyone wanna know what Timmy named his car????
    :)
    Why, yes... Yes we do!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast