Thread: Opinions please....

Default Opinions please....

For the most part I gotta say I have the car where I want it (well....cept for the IC/SC).
    It runs fantastic but does burn more gas that it used to, maybe that has to do with the oversized pistons or my lead foot.
    But....
    I started noticing after it got colder that when I start it up and even after it gets warm I hear a (as best as I can describe) whistling sound like its sucking in lots of air when I have the hood up and am giving the car gas.
    The noise is coming from the intake, I know that is what it's supposed to do but the sound is different like more higher pitched, I checked the vacumn lines and all is well, it has been a few months since I seafoamed the car though and am thinking it might just have some carbon buildup in the TB.
    I though also that the manifold gasket might be leaking but it had good pressure last time Gary checked it.

You guys ever experience anything like this?

Still runs like a bat out of hell, just sounds like someone snuck a mini SC on it....lol
    99 Miata Black

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sure sounds like a vacuum leak. Maybe the intake gasket? Have you 'split' the intake manifold and checked that?

Not since I cleaned the carbon out last year, I permatexed the thing and used the existing gasket but it was sealing tight (Gary said) he put a vacumn gauge on it and it was holding the right pressure.....i though it sounded like a leak too but sure cant fine one.

I will likely take the whole thing off this spring and clean the top and bottom last time I just cleaned the top to avoid the code, I will use a new gasket next time.....would have used one last time but it was in great shape and I was having trouble locating one locally.

I have a new TB gasket laying around I may put that on just to see if that works.
    99 Miata Black

Hey Billy,

Haven't seen you in a while. What you are probably hearing is your idle screw is out a little too far and causing the open filter intake to make more noise, this is common. Try adjusting the idle screw in some and see if this stops the noise you are talking about. Are you idling above 850 RPM right now?

Get back to me after you had a chance to adjust.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

I will likely just come over there in a couple of weeks Gary ( i will call first) and pick up some belts if you have some...i need to replace mine.
    Isn't there some kind of series of things you have to do to set the idle,...10pin ground mumble?
    99 Miata Black