Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDTV protection

Default HDTV protection

Who here uses a battery back up for their projector TV? What do you use and why? I figure it would be worth it to keep the fan running to cool the lamp if the power goes off. Especially with spring coming up, I am looking for lightning protection as well.

Make sure you get protection for any ethernet, phone, and cable tv connections to your A/V gear as well.

Back years ago when I worked in a computer store about 95% of the machines that came in with lightning/surge damage came it with it entering the machine through the modem.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Well I have a projector, and I'm thinking that pretend the fan is keeping it at 300 degrees constant, and the power goes out. Now you have a 300 degree bulb thats cooling off without air blowing on it, but its not like it'll keep going up in temperature with no power, and if it can handle that temperature while running then it won't be damaged.

But lightning protection is a big plus..
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

You can pick up a belkin UPS or an APC UPS from anywhere from $35-Whatever. The $35 one should give you about 10-15 minutes of uptime before the battery goes out. And yes, if you have any telephone wires going to any equipment they can surge the system and cause a failure. But all UPS's should be setup to allow you to run those wires through.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    Well I have a projector, and I'm thinking that pretend the fan is keeping it at 300 degrees constant, and the power goes out. Now you have a 300 degree bulb thats cooling off without air blowing on it, but its not like it'll keep going up in temperature with no power, and if it can handle that temperature while running then it won't be damaged.

But lightning protection is a big plus..

I figure that the manufacturer has the fan stay on for a few minutes after the tv is off for a reason. Maybe one time wont hurt it, but maybe it will.

I hook all the bands gear up to a Trip Lite rack mount 2400watt "line conditioner"
    It protects against brownouts, surges and just about anything else you can imagine....also and most importantly anything I have pluged into it is insured through Trip Lite for 25,000.00

I learned this lesson after frying a 2000watt power amp and 16 channel mixing console due to faulty wiring in a club resulting in a brownout during a performance....needless to say they offered no compensation for my loss.

Its worth every penny which was only 175.00
    99 Miata Black

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    I dont know how I am going to afford all of this stuff.

Are you buying your sweetie protection for Valentine's Day?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Just walk into Best Buy and ask for an HD Prophylactic.

2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Whatever you do, do not buy something of the "Monster" brand. Over-priced, over-rated crap.

Just walk into Best Buy and ask for an HD Prophylactic.
    I can see the slogan now:

"New Trojan Mega Mag!
    Now holds up to 63 inches of plasma goodness"
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Whatever you do, do not buy something of the "Monster" brand. Over-priced, over-rated crap.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    I can see the slogan now:

"New Trojan Mega Mag!
    Now holds up to 63 inches of plasma goodness"
    You said plasma....

Well according to this thread everything except the high end stuff is crap. I dont see it as a good investment to spend half the price or more of the TV. I guess I could use it forever, but those guys are crazy. BTW she already has her valentines present. I am working anyway. Hopefully if it is a good night it will pay for my plane tickets to Lake Tahoe this summer.

Ahh... Nevada... good place to get married.

Again.
    You guys are teh funnay

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Here's a 'mini' UPS and surge protector for $60. I am close to ordering one of these myself to protect my TV.

LINKIE

I would say that this is more than adequate for what you want as well. Just depends really on how many things you want to plug into it. If its just the TV then this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1122655502283

If you want TV, DVD, VCR, Surround Sound, PS3 or w/e else. I'd go with something larger. Like the APC - 900VA Battery Back-Up System
    Blah blah blah!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I would say that this is more than adequate for what you want as well. Just depends really on how many things you want to plug into it. If its just the TV then this
    At 217W of power consumption (using my TV as an example), the 325v would have less than 2 minutes of UPS battery life. The 500v would have ~10 minutes.

I'm not sure, I have a computer that has a 600 Watt Power Supply and I still get 15-20 minutes out of it durring a black out, on a APC 750 thats with a monitor and wireless router and DSL modem hooked up as well.
    Blah blah blah!

At 217W of power consumption (using my TV as an example), the 325v would have less than 2 minutes of UPS battery life. The 500v would have ~10 minutes.
    Keep in mind that a "500 watt" UPS isn't rated at putting out 500 watts worth of power. Read the fine print. Your time is less than you think. It's like the stupid rating of 1000 megabytes = 1 gigabyte. These are marketing numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I'm not sure, I have a computer that has a 600 Watt Power Supply and I still get 15-20 minutes out of it durring a black out, on a APC 750 thats with a monitor and wireless router and DSL modem hooked up as well.
    That's because you aren't pulling 600 watts from the wall... Your power supply is rated at 600 watts max output. You aren't pulling that much from it unless you really load up your computer. When you start getting close you'll feel a big increase in heat output from it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast