Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toll-Tag Question

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    +1!

Gwen is looking for it now...

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    In the Sub, mine is on the dash. It kept getting hot and falling off the windshield.
    In the Miata it is in the pouch on the front of the windblocker. Always works.
    You can order new velcro for free. Just logon to your account or call the tollfree number. Evidently, use of sun shades will cause heat to build up and the adhesive fails.

POS,

You can have up to three tags on one account. They're free. Get one for each of your most commonly driven vehicles. If you need to switch the tag to another vehicle, just notify NTTA before hand.

I'm a big fan of toll tags. I don't use the tollway often but it is nice to have when I do.

They're free (with an initial $40 balance and credit card on file), the tolls are cheaper and it's a whole heck of a lot faster. You can also use them at DFW Airport.

Our toll tags are behind the rear view mirror in both our cars.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The tollway is free on a motorcycle with the plate pushed all the way under the bike and tilted a tad.

Austin will have tollways when I get back....

The only thing worse than paying to drive on a public road is paying for a parking space owned by the public.

Chris

We have toll tags on a couple of our cars, but we don't even use them, apparently they kept charging the credit card instead of sending us the bill or some such nonsense.

Plus we don't go through the toll roads all that often, mostly to the airport and maybe only a few times a year.

They were fun when we still had them working though.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    The only thing worse than paying to drive on a public road is paying for a parking space owned by the public.

Chris
    Nah - what's worse is paying for something you don't use - like tollway maintenance, school taxes when you don't have kids, etc.

I like Reaganomics (link for the kiddies) Pay for what you use and let someone else pay for the stuff they need and you don't.

Uh-oh . . . here comes Thor
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lantis View Post
    We have toll tags on a couple of our cars, but we don't even use them, apparently they kept charging the credit card instead of sending us the bill or some such nonsense.
    Mine are set up where I don't get a bill they just ding a credit card when the balance hits $10.00 they kick it back to $40.00, piece of cake!

I did see where you could pay extra to get a bill in the mail, but I get enough of those already!

I'm like you the toll tag isn't going to be a high use item for me since I live in the part of the metroplex where tolls haven't become all the rage (yet) like they have on the East-side.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Nah - what's worse is paying for something you don't use - like tollway maintenance, school taxes when you don't have kids, etc.
    I thought you guys just had a daughter???

But I'm with you 100% on the rest of your rambling!

Now back to our regular scheduled post!

So riddle me this...

I have three toll tags, since I used to own three cars. One of them is tied to the '8, one to the CR-V, and one to a vehicle that no longer resides in North Texas. I keep this 3rd tag as a spare to give to my parents or in-laws when they're in town, so that they don't have to carry a fistful of change to drive around here.

Since I only own 2 cars but I'd like to keep the 3rd tag, what plate should the 3rd tag be tied to? Can I tie it to one of my other 2 cars? Can I tie it to an out-of-state plate (like one of my parents cars), and just switch it when they're in town? I've never bothered to contact NTTA when I've had the tags in cars other than the ones the tag is registered to (I was in a rental yesterday while the CR-V was in the shop and I used the CR-V's tag four times, for example), but I've never noticed a violation for this short-term hooliganism on my account.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hey, that goes back to my #2 question, how do ya know it works??
    Test Test 1, 2, 3 as of this AM it still doesn't show my trip home??

How often does the website update??

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    So riddle me this...
    I've never bothered to contact NTTA
    I used the CR-V's tag four times,
    short-term hooliganism
    You just announced 3 NTTA Violations on a public forum. You may notice the nylon wireties on your wrists soon

They sent me an email once because I had accidentally switched tags in vehicles and had a third, un-documented axle behind the vehicle going through the booth. YMMV, but as TC said, they are getting smarter.
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    So riddle me this...

I have three toll tags, since I used to own three cars. One of them is tied to the '8, one to the CR-V, and one to a vehicle that no longer resides in North Texas. I keep this 3rd tag as a spare to give to my parents or in-laws when they're in town, so that they don't have to carry a fistful of change to drive around here.

Since I only own 2 cars but I'd like to keep the 3rd tag, what plate should the 3rd tag be tied to? Can I tie it to one of my other 2 cars? Can I tie it to an out-of-state plate (like one of my parents cars), and just switch it when they're in town? I've never bothered to contact NTTA when I've had the tags in cars other than the ones the tag is registered to (I was in a rental yesterday while the CR-V was in the shop and I used the CR-V's tag four times, for example), but I've never noticed a violation for this short-term hooliganism on my account.
    I would be leery of tying 2 tags to one car as I could see the computer charging both tags every time your license plate is processed when a tag doesn't read.

As for the rental, I ran through 4 or 5 booths on 2 different occasions in rentals when I lived in CA and would travel to Dallas. Never heard a word from the rental company, and I watched my C.C. to make sure they never hit me for it. Perhaps they forgive rentals to prevent ticking off visitors and giving the area a bad rep?

A lady at the barn we board the horses at has two tags... one for the truck by itself and another one for when she's pulling her trailer (so they can charge her the extra $$ for two more axles). But now that I think about it, I think the second toll tag is tied to the trailer license plate.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Test Test 1, 2, 3 as of this AM it still doesn't show my trip home?? How often does the website update??
    I've noticed that it updates very fast, same day, sometimes within hours. Maybe it's just that your account is new and they are still setting it up.
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    I've noticed that it updates very fast, same day, sometimes within hours. Maybe it's just that your account is new and they are still setting it up.
    So I got a free trip back to Ft. Worth! Woot!

I keep my tag under the carpet in the back, with a clear shot through the roll bar, wither or not it picks up I have no clue, since I just pay the bill anyway. I hit 6 booths a day durring the week, so I get charged 3-4 times a month
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

This is what I know.

1. If you are using the tag in a car that isn't yours, go slower through the on and off ramps. The tag will read and the light will turn green.
    2. If you have change in your hands, and it doesn't equate to the required amount, you won't get fined. As long as you are seen throwing change they don't care.
    3. If you "accidentally" cover up 1 of your license letters/numbers, with mud or dirt or something, they can't record you license.
    4. The cameras can read clearly up to 160mph. Typically anything above that is still possibly read, but not worth the time.

My friend Kyle worked for the company contracted by the NTTA that inputs thousands of license plates daily of people who run tolls. If one letter/number was covered, it was thrown out. If change was seen being thrown, they don't do anything. Many of my friends do this and have never been fined.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    This is what I know.

4. The cameras can read clearly up to 160mph. Typically anything above that is still possibly read, but not worth the time.
    That's too fast for me to even try!
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

So I got a free trip back to Ft. Worth! Woot!
    NTTA Exec Dir quit today and took $170,000 with him. He may have given you a freebie!

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

I hated the mirror-area mount for my tag, and didn't want to put it on the back of the reg/insp sticker (theft/vandalism bait, velcro replacement). Decided to stick it on the underside of the instrument cluster binnacle, but it only registered there at super-slow speeds (angle and altitude problems, probably).

So on my NA I pulled the LF blinker and stuck it just above. Reads just dandy through the urethane and, as an added plus, is so far forward in the car that I can carry an extra 15-20mph through the gates. (In theory, of course.)

(Yeah, yeah, you have an NB. You'd have to pull a headlight.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast