Thread: About that license plate frame...

Default About that license plate frame...

LiNkIe.

AUSTIN – A quick walk around the Capitol driveway proves that a lot of state leaders and policymakers are, in the eyes of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, lawbreakers. Chances are, you and many of your neighbors are scofflaws, too.

The court ruled this week that covering even the smallest star, space shuttle or cowboy – much less a number or letter – on a vehicle license plate constitutes a Class C misdemeanor under state law.

The statute prohibiting Texans from obscuring a license plate was passed four years ago as an answer to scoundrels who were running toll plazas by using reflective, clear paint on their licenses. The paint made it difficult for the numbers and letters to be seen by cameras or optical readers.

The court, in an 8-1 ruling, recognized that it was an "uncommonly bad law" because it was written broadly and it probably unintentionally made almost anyone with an encasing bracket – from a dealership, university or football team – in violation of the law. But, the judges lamented, it is what it is.

Judge Cathy Cochran described it as, "a 'gotcha' law because it allows the police to arbitrarily stop, ticket, arrest, and search any person who is driving a car whose license plate frame covers up any portion of that plate's design."

S.

Dude that would suck to get stopped, ticketed, arrested, then have your car searched because of that.

Ahahaha, I would probably be a goof and yell, "I've been framed!", or something to that effect.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Well I actually trimmed the top and bottom edges to make it fit in my Euro rear panel! All those important issues yet to be addressed yet they've clarified that wonderful waste of government resources of a law.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I remember my old MGB it didn't have a front plate and I got stopped about 2 times. So I bought a plate for it, only to find out there wasn't anywhere to mount it and I had to drill my bumber. I was so PO'd.
    Only upside was the hinges were pretty stiff and I could get the plate to hide away anyway and when I got pulled over again, I would just tell the officer that it really is there, and pull it down into view :-D
    Blah blah blah!

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

I have never been stopped for a license plate frame issue but I feel that the law is a waste of time that could be used for more important things, like stopping bank robbers, or drug dealers, or drive by shootings. Honestly it seems to be just another excuse for the police to stop whoever they want whenever they want.

There are plenty of states out there that do not require you to display a front license plate, Florida for example doesn't, they also don't have state inspections ......Ok, don't everyone move to Fl. now.!
    Blah blah blah!