Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Silver '06 Miata Sport

Default New Silver '06 Miata Sport

About the beginning of December, I became the proud owner of a brand new 2006 Silver Miata Sport, with a 6 speed stickshift. I am a 25year old Engineering grad student and programmer. Prior to the Miata I owned a 1991 Honda Civic DX sedan and a 1992 Nissan 240SX base, both with 5 speed stickshifts. Overall, I think that the Miata is the best car I have ever owned, although I still think that the Civic was the perfect car for me at that particular time in my life.

I used to do autocross with my Civic, and never got the pleasure to do so with my 240SX. I would like to do so with the Miata, but I would also rather not put too much strain on the Miata until I get out of school for a 2nd time. So for now I am just driving to school, enjoying driving top down, trying to go easy on it but still have some occasional small fun.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Welcome!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Welcome!

run away while you still can!!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome to the forum. Isn't the weather great now. Top down for sure.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new MX-5!

Perfect weather for the drop-top! Welcome aboard!
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

I like silver for the miata :) Welcome.
    Blah blah blah!

Welcome, bring it out to an autocross sometime.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Welcome aboard!! Good choice the Miata over the Honda.
    You didn't quite read what I said right :)

I didn't choose the Miata over the Honda, the Civic was LONG gone before I bought this Miata. I sold it when I bought the Nissan, when I decided it was time for me to upgrade to something sportier.

The Civic was the perfect car for me in highschool and college. It handled great, didn't have enough power for me to get into too much trouble, was reliable, got great gas mileage, and above all took my abuse with a smile. However, if I had it now, I would not be happy with it.

Welcome! Join us on Wednesday Nights.

(Look in the Impropmtu Events section)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    You didn't quite read what I said right :)

I didn't choose the Miata over the Honda, the Civic was LONG gone before I bought this Miata. I sold it when I bought the Nissan, when I decided it was time for me to upgrade to something sportier.

The Civic was the perfect car for me in highschool and college. It handled great, didn't have enough power for me to get into too much trouble, was reliable, got great gas mileage, and above all took my abuse with a smile. However, if I had it now, I would not be happy with it.

Welcome to the board! I think you will like the Miata... Maybe even better than the Civic. I currently have both and if it weren't for the shot rear caliper in the Miata I would be driving it now and not the Civic.... Both serve their purpose though. The Miata is fun to drive and the Civic is more practical for toting the kid and wife around ( as I can't fit them both in the Miata). I enjoy the Civic but if I had my choice I would rather drive the Miata.

Welcome to the madness!

The occasional autocross isn't going to do any damage to your car. About the only thing you can expect is a little extra tire wear, but the mechanicals will hold up just fine. Besides, college isn't an excuse - I ran 20+ autocross events a year while finishing my engineering degree.

Where are you going to grad school?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Another engineer?

Just kidding. Welcome to the board. Sounds like a beautiful car.

S.

Drive the car like you stole it and don't worry Welcome to the board
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Welcome
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Welcome! from yet another engineer

Talking

You didn't quite read what I said right
    Yes. Yes I did. And I still say choosing a Miata over a Honda (rather the Honda be present or not) is still a good thing.

...if I had it now, I would not be happy with it.
    See what I mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Red View Post
    Welcome to the board! I think you will like the Miata... Maybe even better than the Civic. I currently have both and if it weren't for the shot rear caliper in the Miata I would be driving it now and not the Civic.... Both serve their purpose though. The Miata is fun to drive and the Civic is more practical for toting the kid and wife around ( as I can't fit them both in the Miata). I enjoy the Civic but if I had my choice I would rather drive the Miata.
    Or in my case, the Civic more served as a "trainer". Like I said, I autocrossed the thing, and damn that thing could handle. It was great for demonstrating the basics. I still think the Civics with double-wishbones front and rear (the ones made 1988 to 2000, with the best probably being 1988 to 1995) were the best Civics ever produced.

Oh, and I study at UTD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast