Thread: Need to buy manual trans.

Default Need to buy manual trans.

There are noises coming from beneath my car, and I have a bad feeking the wick is short on this bomb. If anybody has or knows someone who has a trans laying around, I'm willing to talk. By the way, are any parts required (driveshaft, clutch plates, etc.) to switch a 6 speed from an NB into a 1.8 NA? If not, I'll take one of those "weak" 6 speeds off some supercharged/turbocharged guy's hands.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

I'm actualy curious as to wether or not you can put a 6 speed in a mx5 that had a 5 speed in it before without major modifications.
    Blah blah blah!

I believe Kags1969 has (or is preparing to) put a 6spd into a 5spd Miata. I think there were a few other bits that needed to be addressed, but I don't recall what. Perhaps the starter? If you are interested in going that route, I would start by PMing Kags for information.

Anything other than direct swap might be above my emergency repair budget. If anybody knows for sure, or has any leads on 5 speeds, I'm game. Good news winter is over and I can put the car down for a while.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    Good news winter is over and I can put the car down for a while.
    You just jinxed yourself. You better knock on wood.

I'd guess a 6-spd conversion would need at bare minimum the drive shaft as well.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The 6-speed is a 100% identical install, but you want be happy since you are going FI. Are you sure it is the trans and not the clutch or throwout bearing, they can make a serious racket when they go?

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

So can the rear differential... just ask BAM!

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

OK... a quick search of the board shows that you need the transmission and a 6 speed shifter. The mounting plate and starter from the 5 speed are re-used, but you can only use 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the starter in. The drive shaft does not need to be swapped. The other issue is gearing. The 6-speed comes with a 3.909:1 rearend but the 5-speeds came with 4.30:1 or 4.10:1 depending on the year. If you don't change to the 3.909:1 rear, you'll have a nice tree stump puller.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    OK... a quick search of the board shows that you need the transmission and a 6 speed shifter. The mounting plate and starter from the 5 speed are re-used, but you can only use 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the starter in. The drive shaft does not need to be swapped. The other issue is gearing. The 6-speed comes with a 3.909:1 rearend but the 5-speeds came with 4.30:1 or 4.10:1 depending on the year. If you don't change to the 3.909:1 rear, you'll have a nice tree stump puller.
    A tree stump puller? whats that supossed to mean?
    Blah blah blah!

It means that the gearing will be VERY short. First gear is useless
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Default transmission

Hey, I just saw your post and wanted to let you know there were two Miata transmissions on CraigsList last week. Do a search.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog View Post
    The 6-speed is a 100% identical install, but you want be happy since you are going FI. Are you sure it is the trans and not the clutch or throwout bearing, they can make a serious racket when they go?

Gary
    FI is not in the cards right now. Not the diff (gear whine changes with gear shift). Not the throwout bearing (again with the gear whine). Gear whine is very quiet, but there. The big symptoms that made me think it was a trans problem were: First, the shifter was extremely reluctant to go into 1st and 2nd gear (until I gave it some tough love, which seems to have remedied that part for now); Second, the trans (gears themselves) temporarily locked while idling through a parking lot In first (remedied by selecting neutral and re-selecting first...for now). I haven't driven the car since, thanks to mother nature.

If you don't have any luck on the forum or Craigs list, the salvage yard may have one for a few bills or you can look up the local engine sellers, such as Eric Japan. I've purchased an engine and now a tranny from them, FWIW you get a 90 day warrenty as well. $400 for the tranny I believe, not sure I got mine for $200 since it was attached to the engine a friend bought.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

You could try http://car-part.com/ it is an online used parts search engine thing. The least expensive one I saw on there was like $125.00 and it was in Grand Prairie.

Quote from the "Wheels America Miata Parts Bin"

$150 for a core tranny...or $800 for a rebuilt one. 5-spd
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Default 6 spd. Conversion - pulls no stumps

just a FYI to those who might consider this mod. I have a 01 that had a 5 spd. Put a 6 spd in it. (kept the orig. 4.3 rear gear). and 1st gear is by no means "worthless"....car still won't pull stumps....DAMNIT, was looking to get into the stump pulling business...but there is some of esp on the worthless roads of Lubbock.

Car pulls much better, feels quicker, and sat right on a friends RX8 rear bumper through 3rd...fwiw. mod is doable. and if u enjoy shifting, and can get a 6spd. cheap. GO FOR IT. (I wouldn't have, except the 6spd. was F.F.F.FREEEE)

This Kags I hear of is this the Kags that used to live in Lubbock, w/ a red NB w/ JRSC? can't believe there'd be more than one...

I have a lead, I'll keep you all posted.

fixed.

Details?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)