Thread: Deferred Adjudication?

Default Deferred Adjudication?

Does anyone know how the Deferred Adjudication process works in Dallas? Last time I did this I just paid the fine and sent in a letter requesting it. Has anyone done this recently?

Chris

57 in a 45....$200(or a set of azenis)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

bummer chris.

you gotta love google!

http://www.tickets.dallascounty.org/....html#deferred

That looks like the drivers ed deferrment, but there is a way to just pay the fine and not get a ticket for 90 days and it goes away.....

I usually just pay a lawyer $40 to take care of it for me. To me, it's worth the $40 to not have to drive to the courthouse or wait in court or whatever else they typically require.

I use Ted Tatarevich in Bedford - 817-282-8111.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So when you pay the lawyer, do you still have to pay the fine? are there other costs? just wondering.....

Chris

Yeah, you go to the court and request the info from the clerk... In some areas it's 60 days, some 90...

I prefer defensive driving first as most insurance companies will give you a discount for taking it... AND it gets the ticket off of your record.

Save deferred adjudication for areas that you hardly drive in so you have a less of a chance of getting a ticket again in your probation period.

If you get another ticket... the first ticket price is due - payable in full - and BOTH tickets go on your record.

Deferred adjudication is also good for times when you get a ticket in less than a year after taking defensive driving to get rid of a ticket.

If you do the defensive driving course do yourself a HUGE favor and do NOT take the video based course. What an A%%wipping... take a comedy defensive driving course and make it a fun time.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    So when you pay the lawyer, do you still have to pay the fine? are there other costs? just wondering.....

Chris
    Yeah. Basically I drop the ticket & $40 off at my lawyer's office, and 6weeks to 6 months later I get a lteer in the mail asking me to drop off a money order or cashier's check for the amount of the fine. You can do the whole thing by mail if you prefer, but Ted's office isn't far from where I work, so I just swing it by there.

Other than the $40 "representation fee" and the amount of the fine, there are no other costs. Like I said, the $40 is well worth it to me to skip an afternoon sitting in traffic court, and it results in guaranteed deferred adjudication.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Bummer on the ticket. Yet there is another alternative. Online driver ed. It does not take as long as the comedy driving school. Think you get insurance credit also. You can take it any time.

http://www.idrivesafely.com/?COUPON=EV0LVE

Also I don't know if you guys have seen this but the good ol' state of Texas has started a point system for tickets. Not only do you have to pay the local rip-off now you got to pay the state too!! The bad part they passed this law sometime ago and are making people pay for tickets they got 6 months ago. They just got the computers/people running to keep track of all of this mess. Not sure about this but Texas might be a reporting state now also. It all has to do with a federal law and that is why Texas changed. Yea I bet it is just the money.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

What ever you do, don't wait until the last minute. I did that once and it cost me $200 to get the warrant for my arrest taken care of

My favorite part was when the JP told me "Get a lawyer and fight it. That'll cost you more than the $200." The ticket never showed up on my record, and I know the state never saw any of the $$$. I detoured around that city for the next 10 years and still have the receipt in my pocket to prove I paid.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region