Thread: soft top zipper and window

Chassis Designer

Default soft top zipper and window

Tell me which is the best route to go for a soft top.
    Ours has the back window coming apart at the seam and the part that pulls the zipper closed is gone and it is now coming unzipped .
    Is there a decent place to get the zipper repaired or could I maybe pick up the closer from another top and use it on my zipper ? The wife says she can sew the window back in if we can fix the zipper itself.
    Other than this the top is in great shape no holes or bad spots and is tight ,no leaks .
    Also what is a rain rail on the soft top and is it worth extra money if we buy a new top, or does someone have a good top for sell
    This is a aug 95 build but sold as a 96
    Any help would be appreciated

m2 top and frame, call up mazda heaven
    it is supposed to be a complete bolt in, many have done it, just buy new rain guards and make sure to get the plug for the rear defroster if it has one.

if you can fix the top that is on there, i dont htink it woud be that hard if your wife can sew with some heavy duty thread, and if you get a differnt toip, yes, get new rain guards.

kyle
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

The rain rail is the plastic/rubber gutter that runs along the bottom of the top just in front of the trunk... It's hidden by the carpeting and some metal pieces.

On a car that old if you do anything to the top you'll either need a new rain rail or to repair the old one.

There were some references on the pointy board to some goopy stuff that people were putting in to fix cracks in it.

If you crack the rain rail then you either will have wet carpet or a wet trunk. Neither are good.

As for a new zipper, check with some marine or auto upholstery shops.

I had a Cabrio World soft top (eBay purchase - $225 with shipping) with zip down rear window installed on my 92 B&T by V.O.R.A in Lewisville. They did a great job on it. (This was before I discovered the instructions on the pointy board)

I found a used top that was in good shape except for the rear window that I put on my 92 blue before I sold it. (The old one had holes all over the whole top from hail) There were instructions out on the pointy board that were EXCELLENT and it only took about 3 1/2 hours from start to finish.

My vote would be either on a Cabrio World top or on a good used M2 top & frame. Check the pointy board on installing the M2 one as well.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    On a car that old if you do anything to the top you'll either need a new rain rail or to repair the old one.

There were some references on the pointy board to some goopy stuff that people were putting in to fix cracks in it.
    Been there, done that. I tried to repair my rain rail, and as Raymond mentioned they get very brittle with age. I tried duct tape first, then tried an automotive weatherstrip sealant type goop. I finally broke down and bought a new rail (they aren't cheap though! ) and it solved my leaking into the trunk and back deck. If you do buy a new rail, do not rivet it to the top like the current one probably is. No need to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    If you do buy a new rail, do not rivet it to the top like the current one probably is. No need to do so.
    Please explain how this not riveting thing works. The first top I replaced on my car I was able to reuse the rain rail, but it took as long to get the rain rail lined up and riveted on the new top as it did to pull the frame from the car, take the old top off, put the new top on, and install the frame back into the car. If I remember right it took like 5 hours just to drill out the old rivets and get the rail riveted on straight.

It'll fit without riveting... just slide it in and bolt everything up...

If you feel you must attach it to the rain rail then go get some nylon screws and nuts so you can put it on without having to use a drill to remove it.

Not 100% sure where to get the nylon screws/nuts but you may be able to find 'em at Tanners (first redlight on Valwood Parkway just West of I-35E on the North side of the road.)

Tanners also had some 6 1/2" speakers that fit almost perfectly in the Miata doors at great TCB prices.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    Please explain how this not riveting thing works.
    Instead of riveting, you don't. :P

When I replaced my rain rail, I clipped off all the old rivets. The top is then 'sandwiched' by the rain rain, with the back edge (closest to the trunk) tucked under the weatherstrip that runs the curved back edge. Then you install the 3 pieces of curved metal that go on the inside edge (just under the carpet). There is a tightening sequence for the 12-13 nuts. Don't over-torque or you'll snap the studs off. (Don't ask! )