Thread: Anybody have Data Log Lab I could borrow?

Suspension Modder

Default Anybody have Data Log Lab I could borrow?

Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with hot re-starts of my car (Link ECU) and have exhausted all troubleshooting I can do. FM asked me to send them the car's map so they can see if anything is wrong. Unfortunately I won't be able to buy the DLL software and Serial Link adapter for another couple weeks.

If anybody has these things that would let me stop by to just pull a map for sending to FM I would be eternally grateful! My car has been down and undrivable for a few weeks and I reeeeally want to try to get it up and going soon. Current issue is after letting the car sit for 2-5 hours the car will not start short of pulling the injector fuse, cranking, replacing it, then trying to start again. Sometimes that doesn't even work and a push start is necessary. Checked the RC 550cc injectors and no leaks at all.

Thanks in advance!

Where are you located? Any chance you can make it out to the Wed night meet in Plano? If so, I could bring my laptop and serial link.

Suspension Modder

I'm in Plano, about 5 minutes East of 75 off Park. I should be able to make it out to the meet, if I can find a spacer for a fuel rail bolt that mysteriously disappeared when I was testing out my injectors. I'm just REALLY hoping it didn't fall in to the just removed upper intake plenum. (have a 99 intake on my 90) Probably be finding a dentist's angeled mirror to see down there.

Quote Originally Posted by cavell View Post
    if I can find a spacer for a fuel rail bolt that mysteriously disappeared when I was testing out my injectors.
    It's probably in the same place as mine...

I'm about ready to pick up the car, turn it upside down, and shake until it falls out. That, or I'll go over to the dealer and pick one up. It's less than $4 - but they'll have to order it.
    '96 M-edition

Suspension Modder

When I was taking it off I was so busy checking to make sure I didn't lose any o rings I didn't even notice that those spacers weren't permanently installed on either the rail, or the engine. I've probably spent well over 3 hours searching from the top, under the car, front, rear, everywhere. I'll get another one no problem (think they're the same part or size on an aftermarket rail?), but I just want to be damn sure that it didn't fall in to the intake. Hopefully the mirror will work out, because I definitely don't want to remove the entire intake from the side of the engine looking for this little black plastic annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    I'll go over to the dealer and pick one up. It's less than $4 - but they'll have to order it.
    There are some lessens that we do not want to learn through our own error. I believe in this case, we should look to the experiences of others before proceeding. If there is any chance it went into the intake plenum, I would not give up the search.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    There are some lessens that we do not want to learn through our own error. I believe in this case, we should look to the experiences of others before proceeding. If there is any chance it went into the intake plenum, I would not give up the search.

I've seen that story before. YIKES!

When I swapped the suspension on my car, I noticed that one of the shock nuts under the hood was mis-matched. Wondered about it, but went ahead with my suspension install - the nut was the proper thread and all. When we pulled the engine, I found the lost shock nut stuck in the oily-dirt-goo on the subframe behind the steering rack. Who knows how many miles that thing rode around down there, including crappy Dallas streets and a track day!

I may never see the insulator again, but at least I'm sure it ain't in the motor. On my '96, I can pull the fuel rail and injectors without pulling the manifold. It must be somewhere ON the engine - or the starter - or the subframe - or the...
    '96 M-edition

Suspension Modder

I'll for sure check everyplace that I can, for the 5th time before I get a replacement part. I think the 99 is different, taller and pointed more towards the driver's side of the bay, not allowing the rail to come off.

I wish there was a magnet for plastic that I could just go fishing with!

Suspension Modder

Okay so the little angled dental mirrors wouldn't let me see jack inside the intake. Think my next attempt will involve a bunch of duct tape around a long zip tie, sticky side out. See if putting it down the runners will find anything. Then if unsuccessful, jack up the car again and tap on everything to try and dislodge something that may or not be there.

Damn piece of plastic!

Craig - The 99 intake sits up a lot higher and since the fuel rail bolts come out diagonally the upper intake needs to be removed in order for them to be taken completely out.

Craig - The 99 intake sits up a lot higher and since the fuel rail bolts come out diagonally the upper intake needs to be removed in order for them to be taken completely out.
    Indeed it does - plus the '96 intake won't split in half like the '99. Hope you find the insulator.
    '96 M-edition

Suspension Modder

Didn't find it, but took out the plugs and turned the engine over with a breaker bar about 5 times. Didn't hear any nasty sounds and it was smooth the whole time so I'm assuming that it didn't fall down there... Will pick up a can of air on the way home to blast out anywhere else in there to see if it stuck somewhere. Considering I already cleaned the garage floor lookin for it.

Didn't find it, but took out the plugs and turned the engine over with a breaker bar about 5 times. Didn't hear any nasty sounds and it was smooth the whole time so I'm assuming that it didn't fall down there... Will pick up a can of air on the way home to blast out anywhere else in there to see if it stuck somewhere. Considering I already cleaned the garage floor lookin for it.
    Yikes... Good luck. If you get her running, PM me and I will send you my address... a couple of us will be wrenching in my garage tomorrow night and we can try to get a data log for you.

Suspension Modder

Awesome man, thank you! I'll be picking up the spacer this afternoon at the McKinney Mazda. $6 for that little piece of plastic.. If it's not raining I'll for sure bring it over. Soft top tends to leak a little, and putting the hard top on is a pain in the ass for 1 person.

Suspension Modder

You gonna be around your house any time after 5 or 6 this week Todd? It was raining wayyyyyy too hard Friday night to take the car out.

You gonna be around your house any time after 5 or 6 this week Todd? It was raining wayyyyyy too hard Friday night to take the car out.
    Yep... usually home around 6:30 each evening... just give me a call on my cell and let me know you are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    just give me a call on my cell and let me know you are coming.
    That's what she said...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    That's what she said...

2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Suspension Modder

Think I'll just let you know when I'll be on my way... Prob tomorrow would work for me.