Thread: Where are all the good roads; I've found one so far.....

Default Where are all the good roads; I've found one so far.....

My wife and I recently moved back to TX after 10 years in the Navy and living all over. I spent the last 7-8 years in WA state near Seattle. There are tons of windy mountain roads to blast along there.

Our '92 Miata has FM springs, AGXs, 16x7 K1s, Azenis, '94 brakes, Axxis pads, and speed bleeders. I may or may not add power. If I keep the car, I'll add power, but I have to admit an Honda S2000 seems like a mighty tempting package given my 30 mile a day one way commute to work right now. I could use a little refinement on the trip.

But anyway, where are all the good Miata roads? I know of FM 4 from US 180 to I-20 (Palo Pinto to Santo). It's quite nice with a decent number of 25, 35, and 40 mph curves.

Are there other good roads nearby?

For those that might be interested, I'm working in Stepheville as a supervisor at a food plant. It isn't all that..... to say the least. I'll probably start working on my PhD this spring at UTA. The state will pay my tuition thanks to the Hazelwood act, so I'd be dumb not to continue my education. We live in Granbury, so the nice stretch of FM 4 is only about 30 miles away.

My Azenis are worn to near nothing, and I have some Yoke AVS ES100s in the garage to do a tire swap in the next month. I'll be painting my K1s gunmetal then too. I'm sick of Axxis brake dust on white wheels.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Welcome! Sounds like you've got a pretty sweet little car. I rarely have time to go on fun drives, so I can't help you much with the road situation.

Welcome to the forum & area!

It's not TOO close, but there are some GREAT roads up in SE OK and in Arkansas.

I'm hoping to get to go with the Arkansas Miata Club on their 3-Mountain Tour again this year. That was a BLAST!

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

It's a pretty nice car. I actually have other stuff done to it too, like white face gage faces, the mandatory Voodoo knob, and custom red painted vent rings to match the exterior.

I ordered a bunch of Zaino today. I'm tired of the Meguiar's 3 step process to make the bumpers shine on the Classic Red, which is near impossible in this heat. I hope Zaino can do the trick.... we'll see.

If I end up keeping this car, and I sure might, it'll end up getting gobs of power from a 5.0 swap (heresy?) or I'll hold out for the 1.6 Ubercharger.

I have retrofitted A/C to the car, but I don't have a vacuum pump to pull it down and leak test it so I can charge it.

I definitely need a new top. I'm gonna hold out for a nice used '99 and up top, preferably an '03 or '04.

I also have a HardDog Sport bar, but I want to ditch it and get the HardCore too....

It's only money right?

If you ever see a really low Classic Red '92 with white racing stripes (soon to be charcoal to match the wheels after repaint) a HardDog sport bar and a blonde guy driving, that's me.

Oh yah, there is the 320W of stereo (RMS, which is about 500 W peak). I have 4 6.5s in the car, two in the door (stock location), two custom cut into the rear parcel deck under carpet, and a 10" sub in the trunk. All of this is driven by a 5 channel Alpine amp. My head unit wasn't terribly expensive but it has an input so I can plug in the iPod and have 1000+ tunes available. I found out real quick, that if you want to hear your stereo when blasting down the road at 80 mph, you need some power there too......

I hear RM32 between US 281 and I-35 near Austin / San Antonio is also a blast to drive. There is a section in there called the "Devil's Backbone." I'll visit it on my next trip to my parent's house in San Antonio.
    AnthonyS

ok, a few questions for you, what is the voodoo knob? and im interested to see your stereo setup, i have a jl 10w6 and an alpine amp i want to put in but im not sure where etc, maybe some pics?

kyle
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    what is the voodoo knob?
    kyle
    OK... We'll forgive you for this since you are a newbie...

http://www.crazyred.com/cri/pages/voodoo.html

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    ok, a few questions for you, what is the voodoo knob? and im interested to see your stereo setup, i have a jl 10w6 and an alpine amp i want to put in but im not sure where etc, maybe some pics?

kyle
    I'm only 5'7", so the amp fits behind my seat mounted at an angle right on the chassis. The sub is in an off the shelf box in the trunk aimed at the cabin. I can snap some digital pics later. Heck, I might even have a few around already. I'll look later on my other computer.

The Voodoo knob is the first and best mod you'll ever make......
    AnthonyS

Who recomended the sight?

:)

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

i had a metal knob in my last car for a while, and it got hot in the summer, and freezing in the winter, i dont know.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    Who recomended the sight?

:)

Chris
    Someone on the tejasmiata mailing list. I found it via miata.net forum.
    AnthonyS

I think we need a section added to this forum with various drive routes..... I often want to know where to go driving... I would like to know about good roads in Arkansas up in the NorthWest area.
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

You're more than welcome (even encouraged) to post routes in the Events & Drives section of the forum.

Eventually, I'll be adding routes, maps and other info on the main site for use as reference when planning a group drive or if you just want to spend an afternoon cruising.