Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pad & rotor recommendations?

Default pad & rotor recommendations?

It's getting to be about time to put brakes on the car, so I'm fishing for recommendations. I'd like to stay with stock-type rotors and upgrade the pads to high-performance street pads. At most, I may be doing some autocrossing, but there's no serious track time in my future right now.

...and I'd like to keep it reasonable priced - is $30-40 per rotor too cheap?

What should I get? Where should I get it?

Thanks!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    It's getting to be about time to put brakes on the car, so I'm fishing for recommendations. I'd like to stay with stock-type rotors and upgrade the pads to high-performance street pads. At most, I may be doing some autocrossing, but there's no serious track time in my future right now.

...and I'd like to keep it reasonable priced - is $30-40 per rotor too cheap?

What should I get? Where should I get it?

Thanks!
    You can get rotors at Autozone, O'Reilly's etc...

I bought mine from Adreneline Racing. Marketed as Spec Miata rotors, I got them because they supposedly had a protective black coating on the non-contact areas. It didn't last a month.

Pads I use are HPS from Trackdog. Good street/track pad for non-FI Miatas.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    You can get rotors at Autozone, O'Reilly's etc...
    I wasn't sure if the VatoZone rotors were crap or not... but that's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Pads I use are HPS from Trackdog. Good street/track pad for non-FI Miatas.
    I'll hit Gary up for some pads in the next week or so...

Thanks!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

I don't want to steer business away from Gary because he's a great guy, but Planet Miata has a really good deal for rotors and HPS pads. This is what they posted on clubroadster.net:

We are now carrying HAWK HP+ pads and adding them to our brake special.

HPS SPECIAL 79.00 WITH ROTORS FRONT OR REAR
    HP+ SPECIAL 89.00 WITH ROTORS FRONT OR REAR
    BLUES SPECIAL 99.00 WITH ROTORS FRONT OR REAR
    DOT STAINLESS BRAKE LINES 99.00
    SPEED BLEEDERS 30.00 FOR SET FRONT AND REAR(one man brake bleeding)

www.planetmaita.com
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Banned

Have had some good results w/ some el cheapos from Autozone. Just the pads, the rotors are still original w/ several turning sessions on them. The pads replaced OEM but are same, just get lifetime warranty w/ them. I do Autocross alot and would like to upgrade to some more aggressive pads and rotors, but budget keeps me at Autozone for now. Since you do not frequent track alot or flogg every weekend, I think anything your budget allows would be just fine. Miatas don't need huge brakes or really aggressive pads to be competitive, unless you have some horsepower.

I just picked up HPSs (front and rear 1.8s) for $104 cash and carry from Gary. Napa sells 1.8 rotors for less than $70 for 4. It probably works out close to the same as Planet Miata when you consider shipping, but that is just a guess.

I've got lifetime warranty rotors from OReilly's. You'll pay a little extra, but it's all worth it in the end. Every time I need to change pads, I can change rotors for free.

I've got a full set of slotted and drilled rotors (front and rear) that I no longer have use for. If anyone is interested, make me an offer.

I like to keep my bidness local whenever I can... so I'll probably go with the NAPA/TrackDog option on the pads and rotors. In my experience, when you figure in shipping to some of these mail order joints, that kinda makes it a wash.

Thanks for the input!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    I've got a full set of slotted and drilled rotors (front and rear) that I no longer have use for. If anyone is interested, make me an offer.
    PM sent
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Try GReddy's website. They had Brembo stock replacement rotors on sale for $22 each when I replaced mine last year. Don't get the Hawk HP+ pads unless you love that "I haven't changed the pads ever" squeal that can be heard for miles! I may try the "performance" pads from vatozone, EBC, or Axxis pads next time.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I think I'm all set for parts now - thanks guys!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Just wanted to say thanks for the recs/tips on the brake parts and install (and thx John and Gary for the goods) - the little car stops so hard now it'll almost make you puke!

...and, yes, if you follow the bedding instructions on the box for the HPS pads, you will see excellent results - good times!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    I don't want to steer business away from Gary because he's a great guy, but Planet Miata has a really good deal for rotors and HPS pads. This is what they posted on clubroadster.net:

We are now carrying HAWK HP+ pads and adding them to our brake special.

HPS SPECIAL 79.00 WITH ROTORS FRONT OR REAR
    HP+ SPECIAL 89.00 WITH ROTORS FRONT OR REAR
    BLUES SPECIAL 99.00 WITH ROTORS FRONT OR REAR
    DOT STAINLESS BRAKE LINES 99.00
    SPEED BLEEDERS 30.00 FOR SET FRONT AND REAR(one man brake bleeding)

www.planetmaita.com
    Is that 79 for the HPS if you buy rotors along with them or 79 for the front rotors and pads? The rotors on my 93 are warped I think, they brake ok after I flushed the fluid out yesterday but at very low speeds before the dead stop it's a bit jerky
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Is that 79 for the HPS if you buy rotors along with them or 79 for the front rotors and pads? The rotors on my 93 are warped I think, they brake ok after I flushed the fluid out yesterday but at very low speeds before the dead stop it's a bit jerky
    That is the price for both rotors and pads together. Looks like a good deal.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

What's the shipping on that?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Call Planet Miata for a shipping quote. I'm not sure how much it is.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I wonder if they're new rotors - that place looks more like a junkyard to me...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Yeah it is, looked on their website and only saw that package with Hawk blues. Guess I'll give them a call. Anyone know what is involved in converting 1.6 to 1.8 brakes? Are they the same caliper with a larger rotor or does everything need to be replaced?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    does everything need to be replaced?
    You can use the same calipers, but you will need the bigger brackets to use with the bigger rotors.
    Last edited by sammm; 04-27-2007 at 07:19 AM. Reason: correction.

hmm...the planetmiata link is invalid...they still around?
    Never heard of that place till this thread...
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast