Thread: 95 Integra - Brake Trouble

Default 95 Integra - Brake Trouble

Well, time to get the brakes fixed on my new (used) Integra.

When stopping, the brakes will catch if you push them down with any decent amount of pressure, but after you let up even a little, they'll sink all the way to the floor on the next push.

Also if you gently press the pedal it will sink to the floor with very little braking effect.

Yesterday I picked up a vacuum bleeder so I could bleed the brakes myself, and after a couple of tries and near-misses I managed to complete the task (clean fluid all around!). I'm proud of myself for that (you can laugh at me, I'm just not much of a mechanic... yet...). However, the brakes seem only a little better. If anything, they're a little smoother while sinking to the floor, which leads me to believe (I'm so smart) that there's another underlying problem that I'm not getting. Any ideas?

This is my new DD so any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to have it in good working order before the Miata goes out of commission for some... "special"... work

Thanks for any help. I'm sure you intelligent people will chime in.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Have you checked your break lines? They are more than likely rubber and might be swelling when you pump the breaks.
    Blah blah blah!

If there are no fluid leaks then I'd say bad hose or bad master cyl.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

No leaks that I can find, hoses seem to be working properly. I was afraid it would be the master cylinder, means I have to take it to the shop
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

its not hard to replace the seals in the MC and a lot cheaper than a new one.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    its not hard to replace the seals in the MC and a lot cheaper than a new one.
    Hmm, didn't think about that. Think I'd be capable of doing it myse- wait, cancel that, there's no way I would do that alone. I'm an idiot

Are these seals something that could be picked up at Vatozone?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

One question: Does the car have ABS?

If so there might be air in the module or the valves could be leaking in it.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Yeah it has ABS..
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

ABS or no, I say master cylinder (but Nexus has a point I hadn't thought of - is the ABS light on? can you lock the brakes up?)... a rebuilt unit from VatoZone can't cost too much. And if you're smart enough to bleed your brakes (and you have a little patience) you can put that on yourself...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    And if you're smart enough to bleed your brakes (and you have a little patience) you can put that on yourself...
    Why would I put it on myself? Shouldn't it go on the car?

I did some panic stops to check the ABS and it seemed to be working okay. I'm guessing master cylinder though I have no idea wtf I'm talking about
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Why would I put it on myself? Shouldn't it go on the car?
    Actually, it should go in the car. From your findings, it looks as if the ABS module is OK and most likely free of air. I would agree the MC is most likely the culprit.

Next questions. How did the old brake fluid look in the resivour? Were there any sparkles in it? Was it nearly black? Did you siphon the old stuff out before bleading the brakes or did you just suck it all into the system?

Sparkles/glitter in the brake fluid denotes wearing on the piston and the body of the MC. Best to get a remanufactured MC and call it a day.

Black fluid means the seals are worn as they are starting to break down. Replace seals, bench bleed the MC, and install.

It's always best to suck as much of the old fluid out of the resivour because that is the fluid with the highest concentration of moisture and other contamination. This way you don't suck it into the lines, calipers, and ABS module.

Just my 2cents.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I have no idea wtf I'm talking about

That is the most honest statement you have ever made
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    Actually, it should go in the car. From your findings, it looks as if the ABS module is OK and most likely free of air. I would agree the MC is most likely the culprit.

Next questions. How did the old brake fluid look in the resivour? Were there any sparkles in it? Was it nearly black? Did you siphon the old stuff out before bleading the brakes or did you just suck it all into the system?

Sparkles/glitter in the brake fluid denotes wearing on the piston and the body of the MC. Best to get a remanufactured MC and call it a day.

Black fluid means the seals are worn as they are starting to break down. Replace seals, bench bleed the MC, and install.

It's always best to suck as much of the old fluid out of the resivour because that is the fluid with the highest concentration of moisture and other contamination. This way you don't suck it into the lines, calipers, and ABS module.

Just my 2cents.
    The brake fluid actually looked surprisingly good. No sparkles and it was pretty clear too.

Guess that's the problem. I'll be looking for a master cylinder now

Thanks for the help, guys.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata