Thread: Tire options

Default Tire options

Well i was talking to Thomas the other day at the autox event and I am in dire need of tires. My rear tires seem to be the best deal for me as in how much i use the car and for monthly autox. The rears are currently bfgoodrich g force sports with a tread wear of 340AA. Thomas said maybe the dunlop direzza's however they seem the same as the current BFG's except less tread wear and costlier and more ppl don't like them as much as the bfg's. The tire size is: 205/45/16. Opinions?

Well i went to get my car aligned today and it turns out i had positive camber up front, no toe or camber in the rear and my toe was waay off on one side so my thrust angle was off. The car feels a lot better now, we maxed the caster and maxed the camber as much as we could with out sacrificing too much caster.

i just put on the dunlops a couple days ago i really like them. sooo much better than the yoko es100s especially after they wore. bery neutral feeling tire. and they were 57 bucks apiece for 195-50-15

I have nothing negative to say about my Toyo T1-R tyres. The car is mostly a daily driver with some track days but no AutoX.

Good all weather tire with good performance and decent tread wear.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

We had good luck with the Hankook RS2's on the wife's '02. Did a few S2k's AX's and a track day with them they held up great but not a high mileage tire. I also like the Azenis, Onething has a set of 16" on his '01 and they seem to be working pretty good for him at the past few AX's he has attended!

YMMV

I didn't realize the G-force sport was so cheap, just checked the price on Tire Rack. It looks like a good deal. The Yoko Parada Spec 2 is also super cheap and looks like a pretty good tire (a little less than the BFG). I've hear good things about the Fuzion ZRi, but they're a little more expensive.

BTW, the treadware numbers are pretty much bogus. There are no set standards for measurement. They differ between tire manufacturers.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

99.9% of Tire class Miata autocrossers are on the Hankook RS2's or Falken Azenis 615's.

Miatamoto and apex2apex are going to swap tires for half their runs this weekend at the S2K event. Looking forward to the results!

When we were talking on Sunday, Andrew was mentioning that he is going to put a lot of miles on his tires. I think any relatively sticky street tire (no all seasons) would be a good starting point for learning the car.

If mileage isn't a concern, I'd definitely go with the Hankook R-S2 or Azenis like Sammm was saying.

Hopefully we can get some worthwhile data this saturday (pending rain!). Anybody have a GPS data acquisition setup we can borrow???
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

He is running the 16s, I ran the Yoko Parada Spec 2 and the BFG G-Force Sport in the past. Both are ok for mileage, but the nod would have to go to the G-Force Sport. The Parada is very noisy, and if auto-x'd watch the pressures because they like to feather in the heat.

I got more than 10k on the RS2's but the last 1000 was pretty scary in the rain. I never ran more than 15k miles on the Miata tires no matter which tire I ran though.

2 sets ago I had the G force tires and they were nice, but I really like the Falken 512 tires for my everyday all year tires. 380 treadware or more with decent dry and good wet traction and got'em on sale at edgeracing.com for $46 each! On my second set now.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...