Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awwww.... Hail!!!

Default Awwww.... Hail!!!

The roadster got left outside in the hail while I was at work tonight. We mostly had pea-sized hail but had about two minutes of marble sized hail mixed in.

I don't know if I have any damage. We'll see when I wash it again if anything happened.

How big does hail have to be to leave dents?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    How big does hail have to be to leave dents?
    I'm not an expert mind you, but my experience has been marble size wont dent the sheet metal on your car. It needs to get a little bigger, say the size of a quarter, before you see dents.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Banned

I beg to differ, a bird fart can dent our aluminum hoods, and my fenders are paper thin. But, Roadster, where do you work? We, being in the bananna belt of McKinney got like two drops. Wanted more for the lawn, but I guess I'm gonna have to pay to water now.

We were driving back from Granbury about 7:30 on 377 when the hail hit (literally!). We could see holes in the cloud cover off to the north so we sped up to get to cresson to turn north. It was the correct thing to do, as the hail lessened and soon stopped going up 171. Most everyone else was stopping on the side of the road, and every place in Cresson that had any kind of roof was packed with cars. Shelley says the SIX has damage, but I haven't looked yet.

Unfortunately, that storm continued due south and right over the Granbury house. I'm scared to go back down and look for damage.......

It was pea/marble sized hail that left the 10-15 dents in my hood and trunk lid back in 2000.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Marble sized hail hit my one year old 1999 Nissan Frontier and left several dents all over the vehicle. They were'nt too deep, but still noticable. I was ticked by the insurance adjuster.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Eek, no one got any damage right?

I was driving down Renner in the S2000 and was stopped at the light to go past the 75... then got a nice "WHAM" on the windshield. The light turned green and I flipped to the left turn lane under the freeway and did the little "waiting-cop-u-turn" every time I got a green arrow for about 45 minutes until the hail stopped.
    After like 5 minutes I had a train of a CTS and a new Mustang GT following me.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

I got no damage, but when I was driving out toward the airport last night, I heard some plinking and saw everybody diving under the overpass at LBJ and MacArthur. I slowed down and looked real hard for bouncing ice, but there wasn't so I just kept going.

...but apparently there was a tornado just minutes away from the pizza place (see the West Side GTG thread)!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    where do you work?
    East Plano
    ...and across the line.

I was driving home from work yesterday evening around 7:15pm going through Plano. The hail started on Plano Parkway right before Coit. Traffic started slowing down, as I sped up to 60+. I didn't get out of Hail until I got to 75. I was not happy. I haven't inspected the car yet.

We lucked out and didn't get any. For a change...
    My last three vehicles have been in hail storms and two of them were totaled. I had just finished restoring my '83 RX7 Limited and got caught in the big Mayfest storm in Ft. Worth some years back. Here's a pic of my Nissan truck windshield after the storm that caught us while camping. Scary! We retreated into the truck for cover (safer than the tent). Had to recline the seats and brace the windshield with our feet to keep it from coming in from the hail hits! You wouldn't believe how much flex is (was) in that windshield. The stones in question were golfball to racquetball size. The ones that took out my RX7 were softball sized.

Remind me again why we live here??

At least you did'nt have the optional moon roof in the pickup, like mine has.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    At least you did'nt have the optional moon roof in the pickup, like mine has.
    Hadn't thought of that! Wow, that would have really sucked. And hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    I had just finished restoring my '83 RX7 Limited and got caught in the big Mayfest storm in Ft. Worth some years back. ... The ones that took out my RX7 were softball sized.

I know the feeling. I will put up pics later of My Ford Probe that was at Mayfest '95
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Sure enough. Called the Insurance Company. Waiting for Claim Adjuster.

The hood is peppered, the front fenders have a few and the trunk lid. That's all I can see for now as it's dirty.
    ...and across the line.

Ack that sucks BR!

But least your top survived and your interior didn't get wrecked!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

The hood is peppered, the front fenders have a few and the trunk lid. That's all I can see for now as it's dirty.
    Well, !
    I was hoping you got away dent free.
    Didn't the guys have a big PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) gathering a while back? Everyone sounded pretty happy with his work. Once you get an insurance check, it might be worth checking him out.

Banned

Man, sorry to hear the news. I was stuck in the garage w/ the wife's SUV needing tires to be rotated. Looked pretty ominous? from the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    Well, !
    I was hoping you got away dent free.
    Didn't the guys have a big PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) gathering a while back? Everyone sounded pretty happy with his work. Once you get an insurance check, it might be worth checking him out.
    It's definitely time for another one.

That sucks dude...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast