Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Link Tuners and HP Predictions?

Suspension Modder

Default Local Link Tuners and HP Predictions?

Here in a week or 2 I'm gonna take the car to get a baseline dyno, then depending on the numbers I see take the car somewhere for a re-tune. The guy I bought the car from hasn't touched the Link in at least 3 years. I'm sure that a pro could probably squeeze at least a few more hp out of it, and make it a bit smoother of a ride.

I'm looking for a person/shop local to DFW that has experience with the Link, and Miatas in general.. Definitely not somebody who can "figure it out". I know TDR has mucho experience with the car, but didn't see anything regarding turbochargers or this ECU on their web site.

The current setup:

FM built 2.0 with all the goodies. 99 intake, GT2560R turbo, FM IC, FM cat, FM turbo exhaust, 550cc injectors, etc, etc.. Right now the boost controller is set for 12lbs at low, and 15lbs at high. After replacing the plugs, I don't have any issues with misfiring or losing boost at high rpms, so at least the tune is decent. I just want to see what extra I can get out of it. Possibly re-tune the high boost setting for 18lbs, what FM says is the efficiency limit of the 2560. Eventually I'd like to swap out the turbo with a 3071, but bills come first. Then if that's not enough I'll end up doing a V8 swap, which is what I originally bought the car for, but it's been too damn fun so far. Just want some more power!

A friend of mine is thinking around 15psi I should be around 270-280ish with the 2 liter engine, that sound about right?

Sounds like a killer car. Which year? You won't gain much by adding a v-8. I bet you're at about 280hp.

Running a data log would be the best bet to see what you have loaded right now. I'm okay with the LINK, but there are several here that are much better. Flyin96M and TurboDuane come to mind.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Suspension Modder

It's a 90, with a 94 bottom end. But pretty much everything else inside and out the car has been replaced. The weather looks like it will actually hold up, so I'll be bringing it out tonight.

RB front bumper, skirts, rear, Simpson cowl hood, moss low profile lights. GC coilovers, Bilstein shocks. Big brakes up front, gp-o evolution wheels, full Defi gauges, red suede seats, lots of other stuff too! :)

If I did the V8 I'd probably SC it. Some people on the big board are getting over 400 to the wheels with their set ups, with gobs more torque than a turbo 2 liter can put out. And that is almost right off idle. That's the only thing I miss about a smaller displacement motor. Same with my old FD rx-7.

Hubba Hubba, sounds super nice! Red suede seats? Sweet.

I wish I could make it tonight.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Suspension Modder

Oh, with 235k miles on the chassis as well

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    ? You won't gain much by adding a v-8. I bet you're at about 280hp.
    Depends on what V8 he goes with. Do an LS1 or LS2 and he'll have anywhere from 350-400 plus the monster torque to go with it.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

yeah, and a lot of extra weight upfront to lift the rear tires off the ground. At that point HP doesn't mean that much if the tires aren't on the ground
    Blah blah blah!

It's really not that much more with all the stuff he has anyway right now. Besides once he goes with the bigger turbo it will be a straight line car anyway.

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M

Suspension Modder

It really doesn't place that much more weight up in the front of the car. The LSx engines sit further back in the bay so the added weight is more evenly distributed.

From what FM has told me the 3071 is actually a better suited turbo for a 2 liter engine, more so than the 2560. So the spool isn't quite as bad as if it were installed on a 1.6.

Quote Originally Posted by cavell View Post
    depending on the numbers I see take the car somewhere for a re-tune. The guy I bought the car from hasn't touched the Link in at least 3 years. I'm sure that a pro could probably squeeze at least a few more hp out of it, and make it a bit smoother of a ride.

I'm looking for a person/shop local to DFW that has experience with the Link, and Miatas in general

The current setup:

FM built 2.0 with all the goodies. 99 intake, GT2560R turbo, FM IC, FM cat, FM turbo exhaust, 550cc injectors, etc, etc.. Right now the boost controller is set for 12lbs at low, and 15lbs at high.
    I too need some Dyno Tuning time. I know Gary is familar with the Link and a while back ATS in Denton had a '99 FM2 Turbo, so they may be another good source.

If your software is old on the Link, you may want to call FM and get the latest version. Do you have a WideBand and/or intake temp sensor?

Do you have Data Log Lab and a Computer?

If you upgrade the software on the Link, you will want to backup your old settings first, then upgrade and re-load those settings. Ask me how I know I've not been able to get my car to deliver the same hp numbers ever since upgrading the software on the Link, which was prior to me having DLL.

Gary told me he doesn't have his own dyno, but rents one from another shop. Maybe we could setup a day to get both cars tuned together to reduce rental cost.

Gary, feel free to pipe in.

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Suspension Modder

A friend of mine, Chris Greene, who works out at MSR told me about Gary, when I asked who he would recommend in town for Link tuning..

No to the wideband, and need to get the Serial Link. Had Todd pull my map last night so at least I can see it now. Not sure if I have IAT sensor or not. My chip is old, from Feb of 2002. Wrote an e-mail to FM asking about an upgrade.

I'd definitely be down for going in together for dyno and tuning time.

You've got a real nice looking car there.

Great to see you there at the GTG last night.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    Depends on what V8 he goes with. Do an LS1 or LS2 and he'll have anywhere from 350-400 plus the monster torque to go with it.
    And everyone forgets how easy and cheap it is to build a 500+hp 5.0 stang motor, and don't forget superchargers as well! I hate rustangs but you gotta respect how easy and cheap to get a lot of hp...for straight line at least!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I'll be the first to admit that I am no expert tuner. I can get the tuning close, but I know that I leave to much on the table. I have also been looking for someone that can fine tune the Link. I'm just to the point that I just want to drive the damn thing and stop dealing with drivability issues. My plan is to upgrade both the Master and Slave (OBDII) chips and then get a really good tune. I have not found any local shops that know the Link but they all say "I'm sure we can figure it out".

Driving to FM has been an option I don't like since they are much higher in elevation and only have 91 octane gas. I have spoken with Ken a little and he still does tuning on the side, but again there is that road trip thing. If we could get enought people that want to get their cars tuned I had thought about seeing what he would charge to come here and do some tuning sessions.

All I can say is when I first got my Link it was fun playing with the different settings and now I just want to drive it without messing with it.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Suspension Modder

Shut up Eric! Especially since you put like 10 miles/month on your car...

I also heard a shop called CTS Racing up by Ft. Worth knows Links. But I also heard they're more for power and not drivability when it comes to tuning Links. The same person who told me that gave another nod to Gary.

With the money that I get from selling a built 2.0 FM motor, plus turbo, plus all applicable mods could probably almost completely finance the parts to make a 500+hp 5.0 or LSx engine.. And no matter what the hardcore Miata guys say, the handling wouldn't be affected *that* much.. At least not enough to wipe the 400+ ft/lbs of torque smile off my face!

sounds like a twisted smile to me...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Amen to that. Nothing better than pulling up to the guy in the in vette and seeing his face when you rev it up and it sounds just like his.

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M

Ok I just ordered my new chips from FM along with a butterfly brace They said there will be no future revision so you might as well get the latest and greatest. Jeremy also recomended ATS for tuning, or at least said they have experience dealing with Link's. Anybody know Arron and want to see if he is willing to do some tuning sessions?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that I am no expert tuner. I can get the tuning close, but I know that I leave to much on the table. I have also been looking for someone that can fine tune the Link. I'm just to the point that I just want to drive the damn thing and stop dealing with drivability issues. My plan is to upgrade both the Master and Slave (OBDII) chips and then get a really good tune. I have not found any local shops that know the Link but they all say "I'm sure we can figure it out".

Driving to FM has been an option I don't like since they are much higher in elevation and only have 91 octane gas. I have spoken with Ken a little and he still does tuning on the side, but again there is that road trip thing. If we could get enought people that want to get their cars tuned I had thought about seeing what he would charge to come here and do some tuning sessions.

All I can say is when I first got my Link it was fun playing with the different settings and now I just want to drive it without messing with it.
    Amen brother! I too have grown tired of trying to get the friggen Wastgate setting right. I just can't get to where it needs to be. If my tuning session doesn't resolve it then I'll get a separate boost controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    Ok I just ordered my new chips from FM along with a butterfly brace They said there will be no future revision so you might as well get the latest and greatest. Jeremy also recomended ATS for tuning, or at least said they have experience dealing with Link's. Anybody know Arron and want to see if he is willing to do some tuning sessions?
    I went to a couple of Dyno days there, and Aaron was a nice guy. At the time he and I were both new to the Link, but that was two years ago. I'm now pretty familar with it, and I'll bet he's even more familar as he has a dyno to play with too.

So, who wants in on a tuning day, and what days are good? Lets start with a day of the week, then we'll find a week that works for everyone.

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast