Thread: Rear brake disk removal

Default Rear brake disk removal

I am ready to get the bearings on my rear wheel fixed, so I am trying to remove the brake disk. I have the lug nuts, wheel, caliper, and axle nut removed, but the dang ol' brake disk won't come off. Should I just use some penetrating oil and let it sit overnight? Anyone else know a trick getting the disk off off?

Thanks,
    Jerrett

That's the best part. You need a bigger hammer!!!!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

There is a tapped hole in the rotor, put a bolt in it and tighten it up. It will pop it off nice and easy!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    There is a tapped hole in the rotor, put a bolt in it and tighten it up. It will pop it off nice and easy!
    Or crack the rotor. The hammer is more satisfying!!!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    This method worked for me. Bo tried the hammer with no luck while I was digging through my misc. Mazda bolt drawer. Once I found one that worked, the rotor popped right off.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Or crack the rotor. The hammer is more satisfying!!!
    Yes its always more fun when you can introduce a Hammer into a project!

A little PB, couple of bolts, and a tappy tappy with a rubber mallet and Presto. They should come right off.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Well, it turned out there were better issues waiting for me. I'm sure anyone who has done this is probably good laugh by now, but here we go...

While I was waiting for help on the disk, I decided to use the puller I rented from Autozone to get the drive axle free from the hub. Yeah, right. The axle was not moving. I talked to POS Racing about this and he sent me a link to a article on Miata.net (http://www.miata.net/garage/axle.html) that talks about having to use an air hammer to get it out! Not having one, it suggested pulling the whole axle and taking it (with the hub attached) to a shop that does, so that is what I have done now. The whole darn assembly is on my work bench, so now I have to find a place to separate them. Hopefully the guy at the axle place can, but if not, then I'm sure I will find someone. Sigh.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Jerrett

A great way to get the rear brake discs is to use the bolt that holds the spare tire in. It'll make a loud pop. Good luck with the repairs.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I soaked it in WD-40 for an hour and THEN beat the out of it with a hammer. Very satisfying only if you're replacing the rotors...

...but don't forget the earplugs...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I soaked it in WD-40 for an hour and THEN beat the out of it with a hammer. Very satisfying only if you're replacing the rotors...

...but don't forget the earplugs...

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    While I was waiting for help on the disk, I decided to use the puller I rented from Autozone to get the drive axle free from the hub. Yeah, right. The axle was not moving. I talked to POS Racing about this and he sent me a link to a article on Miata.net (http://www.miata.net/garage/axle.html) that talks about having to use an air hammer to get it out!
    When Bean and I were swapping my diff the other night, we had to pull the axles. One slid right out, the other didn't. I pulled out the air hammer that came with my compressor tools starter kit. Once I figured out how to assemble it and after Bean stopped laughing from my inexperienced first try, it took all of 15 seconds to pop the axle out. Very cool tool!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I pulled out the air hammer that came with my compressor tools starter kit. Once I figured out how to assemble it and after Bean stopped laughing from my inexperienced first try, it took all of 15 seconds to pop the axle out. Very cool tool!
    Titus was close to putting some speed holes in the side of his car...

When Bean and I were swapping my diff the other night, we had to pull the axles. One slid right out, the other didn't. I pulled out the air hammer that came with my compressor tools starter kit. Once I figured out how to assemble it and after Bean stopped laughing from my inexperienced first try, it took all of 15 seconds to pop the axle out. Very cool tool!
    Great! Will you be over tonight with it or do I need to wait until tomorrow night?

I really need to get an air compressor some day.

Sure looks like a front rotor to me

huh?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    huh?
    The discussion was on rear rotors, but the pic you posted was of a Front rotor.

The discussion was on rear rotors, but the pic you posted was of a Front rotor.
    Ah yes... duh. Well, that's the only one I got a picture of, but all 4 were seized on...

But ya get the idea...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days