Thread: What Kumho for AX

Default What Kumho for AX

So after a Test & Tune session I found that I have let the cord out of one of my Victoracers.

So it's time to order up some new tires! I run a 14" x 6" rim on my '92, my last tires were a set of 205/55/14 Victoracers I really liked them, but I'm wondering if I should consider a 225 Ecsta, Jon J out of Oklahoma runs them on his E Stock Miata with 14" x 5.5" rims with great success (but his is a better driver.)

Here is a link to Kumho Tires http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/Ptn...mp;mainCatID=1

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Mick

I went through two sets of Victoracers and two sets of Ecsta V700s on my Miata over the last two seasons. I know a lot of people might disagree with me (imagine that ), but I personally preferred the Ecsta V700s. They've got both a slightly different tread compound and a different overall construction with a more rounded shoulder as opposed ot the Victoracers. The two biggest things I preferred about the Ecsta V700s was the fact that they seemed to provide more consistent traction over their lifespan (I always found Victoracers to get hard & crusty about 2/3rds of the way to cord), and the rounder shoulder profile made for more progressive breakaway characteristics. A good thing for me, since I tend to drive a little "slideways".

Only major downside was that they don't last as long as Victoracers, maybe 2/3rds to 3/4ths the lifespan of Victoracers. Still, I say give 'em a try - I think you'll like them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

What about the size difference the Ecsta is only available in a 225/50R14 or a 195/55R14. They don't offer a 205 in the Ecsta....

Looking at the specs the 225 Ecsta are a pound heavier each, but other than that they are almost a match spec wise. Wonder how much more tire the 225 would put on the road? I know tire sizes are not always as the appear on the sidewall.

Now for the most important part of my search time to check prices!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Now for the most important part of my search time to check prices!
    OK Tire Rack shows the price as follows:

Ecsta 225/50/14 are $113.00 ea.
    Victoracers 205/55/14 are $107.00 ea.

The last set of Victos I got I heat cycled myself, and bought full tread. Can I just do the same with the Ecstas?

I would go with the Victoracers in 205 size for your car. To me the Victoracers have a much better steering feel and less side wall wiggle. Also you already know what tire pressures work for you. Also I talked to the Burn's the other day. The MR-2 is in the shop and getting a new stock short block. So no Miata for them in 2004.

Welcome to the forum, General.

So, inquiring minds want to know - what tires will you be running next season? V710s? A3S04s? Victoracers? Some combination of the above?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I Guess a combination of above. Got to use up the old Victoracers and s03's. I am interested in the the new 710 but the heat cycle limit might keep me on the Victoracers for Mineral Wells events. Really just waiting for all you other guys to buy the new tires first. :)

Hey, POS, I'd have to agree with the general. Stick with the Victoracers. I've never run the Ectsa's , but I ran the Victoracers on my Talon and my Eclipse for several seasons. Can't beat the V's for value and reliable performance. :)

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Really just waiting for all you other guys to buy the new tires first. :)
    Figures. :P

Well, I've got a set of 205/50/15 V710s on order, so you'll at least be able to get some feedback on those. They should have two heat cycles on them by the time the Houston Tour rolls around, so hopefully they'll be prime for Jon & I down there. But yeah, based on the longevity comments I've seen elsewhere, I'm already setting money aside for the next set of tires this season - I have a feeling the V710s won't last through April.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    I would go with the Victoracers in 205 size for your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Hey, POS, I'd have to agree with the general. Stick with the Victoracers. I've never run the Ectsa's , but I ran the Victoracers on my Talon and my Eclipse for several seasons. Can't beat the V's for value and reliable performance. :)
    Well if 2 out 3 quick AXers recommend the Victoracer that good enough for me!

I need to hurry up and order them before the big spring rush hits!

Mick

Based on the times from the test & tune, I'd say you need to get a '99 Sport to put those Victoracers on, Mick...

I can't believe we forgot to swap cars after lunch... I guess the post-lunch, cold weather apathy set in.

Well maybe you can get 2 Victorracers and 2 Ectas and just put them on opposite sides of the car and then you could see which performed better.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Based on the times from the test & tune, I'd say you need to get a '99 Sport to put those Victoracers on, Mick...

Hate to say it tailchaser, but I left a good second out there, too, even on those craptacular ES100s. My car was so loose - it oversteered when I got on the throttle, it oversteered when I got off the throttle, it oversteered in the slalom, and it oversteered on the big fast sweeper, forcing me to keep my foot out of it until it straightened up at the back. About the only time it wasn't oversteering was when it was parked in the paddock.

I wish I'd had the tools (and the desire, being sick) to tinker with the front bar. I think I could have picked up a lot of time just by keeping the back end planted a little more firmly. As it was, my car thought we were at a drifting contest.
    Iain

I know that there's not much extrapolation to be done from the times posted Saturday... I never pushed the car through the fast sections, but I was getting wicked understeer that turned rapidly in to wicked oversteer in the tight left-hand sweeper at the start. In the decreasing radius turn that exited into the slalom, I had just a touch of understeer - surprising to me, considering the car has usually been very touchy in long decreasing radius turns.

I too would have liked to have had the tools (and parts) to tinker with the car. However, considering that the cars handling characteristics - particularly steady-state - were unlike any it has previously exhibited, I'm not sure it would have been a great idea.

I'll be certain to have a bigger bar in hand in March for the SCCA test & tune. I plan to take a few runs without, and once I'm familiarized with the course, put it in. I'm guessing that pre-removal of some under-body bits may be helpful.