Thread: '93 Isuzu Trooper

Default '93 Isuzu Trooper

My cousin has a '93 Trooper that she's let sit for, oh, about 4 years (don't ask), and now she wants to try and get it running again. So, being the resident "car guy" in the family, I'm going to go over and try to raise it from the dead next week. So here's your question: Is there any way to drain the (most surely bad) gas out of the tank, short of pulling a fuel line and letting the pump do the job? My old BMW actually had a drain plug on the tank - imagine that!

Anyhow, this thing will probably be for sale if anyone's looking for one...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You could siphon it out. Get one of these -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3878

Banned

Yes, I would suggest siphoning and then use some Barryman cleaner in the intake and turn over a few times to loosen up the gunk that's at the engine. Even go so far as to pull plugs a squirt some into the ports, not a lot, just wet enough to loosen stuff up. It'll start as long as you have fuel, air, and spark, but sitting for that long, every seal on the car will start puking after a few hundred miles.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    You could siphon it out. Get one of these -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3878
    So is that the New & Improved Oklahoma Credit Card?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Default Trooper Update...

Alright... I had to post with an update here...

My dad and I went to go rescue this Trooper yesterday, and it could have gone better... First off, we checked all the fluids, sniffed the gas (not too spoiled), then hooked a booster battery to it and got it to crank over - so far, so good. Next, my dad insists on pulling the air intake hose and spritzing carb cleaner down it as starting fluid - yes, yes, I know we're not dealing with a '64 Falcon here, but whatever. So with the carb cleaner trick, we get the motor to light off and run for about a second. We have spark! Thinking that we're on to something, my dad sprays another round of B12 down the intake while I turn the key. The motor spins and spits and catches a couple times, then... FOOOMP! - just about the time I let off the key. Then I see the old man jump back, slightly dazed, brushing himself off - the Trooper backfired, BIG TIME. I jump out and see that the old man's arms are now bereft of any hair, and the air cleaner has caught fire - good times. Now we trade places, and I take the B12 away from him. I monkey around under the hood and find the fuse box where, sure enough, the fuel pump fuse is blown. Swapping the fuse doesn't help, so I swap the fuel pump relay - still no dice. I'm guessing at this point that the fuel pump is kaput - I can't hear it run, but I'm not sure if it's the type of setup that runs the pump to prime system when the key is switched on. Anyhow, I told my cousin he should probably take the Trooper to a real mechanic before we burned it to the ground...

'94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days