Thread: NA aftermarket steering wheel "reach"

Default NA aftermarket steering wheel "reach"

Question for you guys that have aftermarket steering wheels (BR? johnwag? anyone else?):

Was there a noticeable change one way or the other in the reach to the wheel compared to the stock airbag wheel? I measured the depth of the airbag wheel, from its mounting surface back to the face of the wheel it's 125mm. So, what's the total depth of your steering wheel, including the hub adapter? What kind of wheel and hub adapter are you using? (Dakai Boss, right BR?)
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Question for you guys that have aftermarket steering wheels (BR? johnwag? anyone else?):

Was there a noticeable change one way or the other in the reach to the wheel compared to the stock airbag wheel? I measured the depth of the airbag wheel, from its mounting surface back to the face of the wheel it's 125mm. So, what's the total depth of your steering wheel, including the hub adapter? What kind of wheel and hub adapter are you using? (Dakai Boss, right BR?)
    Dunno about the measurements and I've had it on too long to remember what the stock wheel is like. I don't recall it being significant.

I have the Daikei Boss Hub from RSpeed.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Cool... thanks for the feedback. I do believe I've made a decision on the wheel...

...the MOMO Fighter Zebrano:
    Last edited by trickyrix; 04-24-2007 at 10:39 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Nice! I love my Momo.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

johnwag has a MOMO hub with his wheel. This combo increased the reach to the wheel. Same story for the Dino equipment in my Porsche. In both cases, it not only made the reach farther, but the wheel was lower (closer to the thighs/knees) and there was significantly reduced gap between wheel and turn signal/windsheild wiper stalks. If I ever drove the Porsche anymore, I'd use a quick release or a deeper wheel to get the desired reach.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    johnwag has a MOMO hub with his wheel. This combo increased the reach to the wheel. Same story for the Dino equipment in my Porsche. In both cases, it not only made the reach farther, but the wheel was lower (closer to the thighs/knees) and there was significantly reduced gap between wheel and turn signal/windsheild wiper stalks. If I ever drove the Porsche anymore, I'd use a quick release or a deeper wheel to get the desired reach.
    Interesting... I ordered the Dakei Boss adapter with my MOMO wheel, so we'll see if I end up with the same situation. I could honestly stand a little more distance between me and the wheel, so this might be a good thing for me.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

My ebay wheel/hub brought it almost a little too close to the turn signals, but I never had any problems, I think a hub + quick release should keep it about stock reach.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR