Thread: 3rd sign of the apocalypse (Discount Tire)

Default 3rd sign of the apocalypse (Discount Tire)

If you've known me for awhile, please sit down before you read the following:

I had a great experience at a Discount Tire store today. Great enough to recommend them to someone else.

Jeremy ordered a fresh set of race tires from Todd Eady's Discount Tire store (Trinity Mills in Carrolton) last week. Not only did Todd match Tire Rack's advertised price, but he included mounting and balancing at no additional charge. Considering how much time it takes to mount the 35-series race tires we use (it took the last shop six hours of labor to mount a set, this time it was four hours of labor), I was impressed by this. They also have a heat-cycling machine on site, and charge the same as Tire Rack - $15 per tire.

Anyway, when I went to pick the tires up today, everything was ready to go as promised, there were no hidden charges, and the service was top notch. I will use Todd Eady's store again.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Exclamation

No freaking way!

Wow... that is good to know. That is the one right by Crystal, right? When I went in there last year to ask them about matching their own online price for my 615s, they told me they couldn't match it and they recommended that I order them online. I guess I spoke to the wrong person. They did give me a decent price on the tires on my wife's Sharpie's wife's MPV though.

3rd sign of the apocalypse (Discount Tire)
    I am digging a bunker now!

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

wait why does it take 4 hours to change a set of Gen 4 tires? super small side walls and a very anal balancing job?
    Last edited by altiain; 04-25-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Whoops - meant to hit quote button

So, who should we ask to talk to get such a great service?
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    wait why does it take 4 hours to change a set of Gen 4 tires? super small side walls and a very anal balancing job?

245/35-18 V710 R compound tires, with a very short, very, very, very stiff sidewall. It's all about the tire - larger sizes of the V710, especially those that are 30- or 35-series, are just very difficult to mount. Heck, we're not even trying to cram them on a narrow wheel - my SSR's are 18"x8".

Balancing doesn't take any longer than any other tire, 'cause the '8 isn't as sensitive to out-of-balance tires as a Miata. It takes that long just to mount them and get the bead to seat properly.

Gab, ask for Todd Eady. He sponsors the annual Kumho and Hoosier race tire giveaways at Texas Region SCCA and Equipe Rapide events.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    245/35-18 V710 R compound tires, with a very short, very, very, very stiff sidewall. It's all about the tire - larger sizes of the V710, especially those that are 30- or 35-series, are just very difficult to mount. Heck, we're not even trying to cram them on a narrow wheel - my SSR's are 18"x8".
    HAHAHAHA Yeah, it's a bitch to get those tires mounted... I have 215 35R 18's on my Miata. Those things DO NOT want to pop the bead onto the rim when installing. What a PITA.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

95 psi will do the trick, but you didnt hear it from me!

I had a good experience at the Cedar Hill store earlier this month, they matched Edge Racings price with no fuss at all, did it all over the phone & faxed them Edge's web page, & sent my 17 year old daughter to do the deed.
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Quote Originally Posted by pliablemoose View Post
    ...& sent my 17 year old daughter to do the deed.

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pliablemoose View Post
    ...sent my 17 year old daughter to do the deed.
    Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post

You know, you don't always have to set these up for MervthePerv to knock down...

I try to do business with Todd but have had issues 3 times in a row now. Very frustrating. I keep asking myself what my incentive to go back is?

Buy 4 race tires and have them mounted. 2 of them mounted backwards. The metal valve stems I specifically told them not to remove have been removed and replaced with rubber ones.

Buy 4 race tires and have them mounted. 1 of them mounted backwards. Worse, wife picked them up for me and doesn't know to check for such things. I have to make another trip back.

Buy 4 street tires. Am told tires are in stock in warehouse and will arrive next day. I tell them no sweat, I won't be back until Saturday morning. I walk in Saturday and......no tires. Why couldn't you have called me? Good question. They don't know. When will tires arrive? Good question. They don't know.

Maybe if I walk in and see anyone's face other than Todd's I should tell them to pound sand and get Todd.
    I am the Cookie Monster, not the macaroni monster.