Thread: 3000 miles........10 days.......

Default 3000 miles........10 days.......

Make that 9 days, I can't count..............
    I will update this thread as time and ability allow, I am old and slow with some of this new fangled computer stuff...........My Deals Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokey Mountain, Barber Motorsports trip is over. For those of you that have never traveled by Miata its the way to go. The Interstates suck but the back roads rule. I have been taking motorcycle trips for over 25 years and did this trip just like I was on a bike. Since it is so early in the vacation season we had no crowds to contend with anywhere, it was the best vacation I have had in a few years. Anyway lets see if I can get a pic posted to start this thing........
    All this will fit in the trunk of a NB with no problem, plus we had a insulated bag between the seats on top of the console with our snacks and drinks in it. Two BIG soft bags, a laptop, several books, etc, etc, (the rabbit was actually picked up on the trip, the pic was shot after I got home).
    My GF and I had a little contest to see who could spot any Miata's in our travels.....she saw this pair of Roadster's sitting in rual GA so I had to give her a bonus point. I knocked on the door but nobody was home. Since I just sold my Datsun 2000 to pay for my NB I had to take a pic.....
    More to come
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VFR750; 04-29-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: poor in math...........

+1 on the backroads trip. I went Lubbock-College Station last weekend by way of backroads, and it was awesome. Fun roads, and when I got past Abilene, there were actually curves! Fun stuff
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Sounds great!

Perhaps you'll be hanging on to the Miata after all. While also a fun car, a cross country trip in a 60's Camaro just isn't the same thing.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

BTW, what kind of car is that in front of the Miata?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Since I just sold my Datsun 2000 to pay for my NB I had to take a pic.....
    Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Woo-Hoo Miata is the only way to do a road trip. As much fun as you can have on 4 wheels and more dependable than any sport car I ever heard of.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

It's his Datsun 2000 roadster. DUH!!!!.

Thumbs up

it's a Datsun 2000 roadster...

Huge Thumbs Up to your trip... sounds like a blast! Big hairy road trips are GREAT in a Miata. Stay off the interstates and you're golden.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    It's his Datsun 2000 roadster. DUH!!!!.

Ohhh, so close, but no cigar for you. Craig sold his Datsun to buy his NB. While on his first trip in the NB, he saw someone with an NA and a Datsun together. That is what is in the picture... someone else's NA Miata and Datsun. If you want to see a pick of HIS Datsun with HIS NB Miata, look at his avatar.

Titus gets the prize!!............the white Datsun in the pic is a 66 or 67 1600 we stumbled upon in rural GA.

We covered almost 3000 miles in 9 days in my NB. It sat one day and did not get driven..........so thats about 375 miles a day average, not bad considering at least half of the trip was on back / mountain roads. We took I30/I40 from Dallas to Memphis when we left and I20 from Meridian MS to Dallas on the final leg home. Our gas mileage averaged 27 to 32, pretty good considering two people, a load of luggage and I was either flogging it in the mountains or buzzing down the interstate at 70 to 80 MPH.
    The first senic shot was heading to the fun going north from Chattanooga, the second shot is on the Cherohola Scenic Skyway. We had the top down five days out of seven...............

Sounds like an excellent trip! Mayhap I should look into something similar.

Oh, and uh...your trunk seems to have latching issues.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I have a big ole digital camera, you guys would laugh at it........
    I kept it in the trunk, it was kind of tight in the cockpit.
    I would highly recomment a trip of this type, I would even lead such a trip from here to Arkansas for a Sat / Sun if enough people speak up and want to do it. We could leave Sat lunch time and be back Sun afternoon.
    More pics....the first three are at Deals Gap, the last one is the Blue Ridge Parkway just north of Ashville, NC.
    Hopefully this link to killboy.com will work, I am on page 5, 6 & 7 on 4/17/07.
    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...667&g=00&s=100
    Last edited by VFR750; 04-29-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    Sounds like an excellent trip! Mayhap I should look into something similar.
    Hell, I've got a motorcycle-riding buddy that wants to go "ride" with me now...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Ohhh, so close, but no cigar for you. Craig sold his Datsun to buy his NB. While on his first trip in the NB, he saw someone with an NA and a Datsun together. That is what is in the picture... someone else's NA Miata and Datsun. If you want to see a pick of HIS Datsun with HIS NB Miata, look at his avatar.
    Haha. I WAS referring to his avatar. I didn't realize that there was a pic with another datsun in it.

I was trying to figure out why BR said the datsun was "in front of the miata".
    I guess I deserve this:

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Here are pics from a couple of road trips I've taken in my Miata. The luggage rack and weatherproof luggage make for a lot of extra room, but if I had it to do over, I'd buy the suitcases designed to strap on the trunk without the rack.

Cadillac Ranch

How much stuff can a Miata haul?

Are we there yet?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

That trip to Moab must have been fun...hopefully you did not have to stay on I40 the whole time. I am looking forward to running up to Talimena drive sometime in the next month or so........
    Three more pics and then I am done, I took the first pic on a bridge and if you look above the car you can see two more bridges we crossed coming down the Blue Ridge Parkway. The second is the gas pump at Barber Motorsports, need some 112 octane for $7.05 a gallon (leaded)? The last shot is the Honda factory pit setup at the track, I went to the AMA National races Sat and Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    That trip to Moab must have been fun...hopefully you did not have to stay on I40 the whole time. I am looking forward to running up to Talimena drive sometime in the next month or so........
    Three more pics and then I am done, I took the first pic on a bridge and if you look above the car you can see two more bridges we crossed coming down the Blue Ridge Parkway. The second is the gas pump at Barber Motorsports, need some 112 octane for $7.05 a gallon (leaded)? The last shot is the Honda factory pit setup at the track, I went to the AMA National races Sat and Sun.
    Hey, pics are ALWAYS good! Keep 'em comin!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days