Thread: PCA Maverick TT #3 and #4 5/19-5/20 at Mineral Wells

Default PCA Maverick TT #3 and #4 5/19-5/20 at Mineral Wells

There is not another AX until June and I have the whole weekend free on 5/19 and 5/20, so I am going to try the Porsche Club of America Maverick Region's Time Trial (TT) events on those days. I have not done a TT, so it will be a new experience for me. I guess it will be like a Lonestar BMW AX since I believe a TT is pretty much a coned road course.

Anyone else want to join me? I suppose others will be jonesing for some racing, so come on out and be a newbie with me! Looking at the pics from the last one, it looks like Lisa Savage and Gabby Garner race in them, so I know there will be a couple of familiar faces.

I also noticed that a PCA membership is $43 and you save $15 per event if you are a member. Since I plan to do both TTs plus at least one AX this season, I went ahead and joined. Now if I can just get me a mid-80s 911 in either black or red, but without a rear spoiler...

More info and registration links at http://mav.pca.org/Events/Calendar.asp.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Do you own a Porsche?
    If you have a Porsche and would like to join, we invite you to learn more about our organization. You can even join online at the PCA national website.
    Online, they want the VIN of my Porsche.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Online, they want the VIN of my Porsche.
    I just put 'na' in each of those sections. Worse case, they deny me and I end up paying $2 more over the course of the three events.

Or just look up some fantastically rare and desired Porsche in the auction news (which includes serial numbers) and use that.

Well, so much for joining the PCA and getting a discount, as they require a Porsche. Snobs.

Anyway, I guess that just means I limit myself to three PCA events a year so it will be a wash (plus $2).

Sounds like a good time, I wanted to do the last one but didn't make it. Would register but I just realized I made an appt to drop the RX-8 for some warranty work this afternoon. I don't think it would be very fun on my 500 treadwear all seasons that the miata is wearing either.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Wow, that was a lot of fun! I guess it is pretty much like driving a road course. You get to take practice laps at 50% speed in the morning (as many as you want in the allotted time), then you get three runs on the track where each run you get a warm-up lap and then three hot laps.

If you do not have plans for tomorrow, come on out and try this. Get there at about 7:45-8:00. You can register at the site.

RPMChris, it was great to see you out there. As promised, here is the route that I take:

- Take I-30 west past Fort Worth.
    - It will merge with I-20.
    - Stay on I-20 west.
    - About 40 minutes past downtown Fort Worth, exit on 113.
    - Take a right on 113 and head towards Millsap.
    - In Millsap, you will go over railroad tracks and through an S-turn.
    - After the S-turn, take a left on 3028.
    - You will eventually go up long hill on 3028 and reach a stop sign, which is 1195.
    - Take a right on 1195.
    - Go a few miles to the stop sign, which will be the entrance to Mineral Wells Airpark.

Later,
    Jerrett

Wow, another fun day. Too bad I was the only Miata out there, as I really do not have anyone to which I can compare myself. You guys should try one of these sometime. We got 10 hot laps today, plus three warm-up laps, plus practice. You really cannot beat it for track time.

I will attend more of these.

I thought Maniac Mitch was a regular at those events. He's got a supercharged NA that you could chase. Otherwise I think you could compare your times to the 914's.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    I thought Maniac Mitch was a regular at those events.
    Yep, Mitch was my instructor on the first day. Gabby was my instructor the second day.

Something broke on Mitch's car on his first run of the first day. He was able to limp home though. I hope it is nothing too serious.

Some other stock Miatas would have been nice for comparison. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yep, Mitch was my instructor on the first day. Gabby was my instructor the second day.

Something broke on Mitch's car on his first run of the first day. He was able to limp home though. I hope it is nothing too serious.

Some other stock Miatas would have been nice for comparison. Maybe next time.
    If you let me borrow some tires I'll bring mine and and we can compare times next time since we both have the 85 whp hamster fell off the wheel 1.6 engine
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car