Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a '97 Miata is wanted

Engine Builder

Default a '97 Miata is wanted

I'm looking for a '97 Miata. Does anyone have feelers out for where I might find some. I've been around the generic internet car sites and have found three in the Dallas area so far that I can check out. I didn't know if anyone here knew of better places to look or knew of anyone wanting to part with theirs.

SK

Just curious but why only a 97?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Engine Builder

For several reasons:

A) I don't have money and an older miata would be more likely to have problems pop-up out of the blue.

B) I want that body style, so '98 and up is out.

C) Before I bought my '97 in 2001 I did a lot of research and the data stated that the '94 and the '97 years were the best quality wise, but the '97 had additional safety features that previous models did not have.

Quote Originally Posted by saffikeagan View Post
    C) Before I bought my '97 in 2001 I did a lot of research and the data stated that the '94 and the '97 years were the best quality wise, but the '97 had additional safety features that previous models did not have.
    The only safety feature it has over the '94-'96 Miata is that the door panels have more cushion near the passengers arms. Not much more safety than other models.

For several reasons:

A) I don't have money and an older miata would be more likely to have problems pop-up out of the blue.

B) I want that body style, so '98 and up is out.

A) A well cared for 90 would be a better deal than a ragged out 97. Don't limit your options based on year. There are plenty of well cared for Miatas out there if you are patient and year model is no guarantee of anything.

B) Agreed! NA (90-97) Miatas are the best Miatas!

C) See above. A padded door panel is not a significant safety feature. As far as best year, 1994 is the best because it's the only 1.8 with a real working Oil Pressure Gauge. This is easily added to any Miata. Any manual 94-96 above the base model had Torsen Differentals. Torsen not as easily available on the 97. 96 and 97 added OBDII. Depending on your point of view, this is either a good thing or a bad thing. OBDII is easier to diagnose problems but more finicky to after-market engine upgrading.
    ...and across the line.

Engine Builder

Thanks for all the info. My expertise is in computers not cars so advise is always welcome.

Thanks for all the info. My expertise is in computers not cars so advise is always welcome.

Always glad to help. That's why were here, well that and to F*ck with Titus. Collectively, we have decades of Miata/car experience. I'm sure if someone has a techie question, you'd chime in.
    ...and across the line.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

My search started out with a '96-'97 in mind. I found a great, well cared for '94. I bought the '94 and am very pleased with the car. Find the best car for the money you have to spend, don't get hung up on a year model or a color.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Always glad to help. That's why were here, well that and to F*ck with Titus. Collectively, we have decades of Miata/car experience. I'm sure if someone has a techie question, you'd chime in.

Engine Builder

Okay I've got a stupid question. Out of curiousity, I ran the Kelly BB for some of the Miatas I've seen and am considering. The asking price from the private parties is about 1-1.5k over what KBB recommends. Is this normal? Is it a supply and demand thing?

Very normal... Not sure why.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The asking price from the private parties is about 1-1.5k over what KBB recommends. Is this normal?
    This is the time of year a convertible will bring the most money. You could have probably picked one up cheaper this past winter.

you should get a 98, 97 was a bad year.

KBB has always been questionably low for their values.
    My Credit Union and most banks use nadaguides.com to source used car values/trade-in/etc. NADA will have the most accurate pricing.

Here's what could be a nice example in Austin(no pic): http://austin.craigslist.org/car/336038822.html

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    This is the time of year a convertible will bring the most money. You could have probably picked one up cheaper this past winter.
    Miatas in California are also much cheaper than the rest of the country. as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    you should get a 98, 97 was a bad year.
    ...and across the line.

Engine Builder

Well, the car I was driving died yesterday, so I'm convertible shopping now. I'm just so excited about being able to get back into a Miata. I had to sell my last one when I moved abroad for a few years. I think I've found a good one.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=52

"you should get a 98, 97 was a bad year."

If it doesn't have popup headlights it just isn't a true Miata in my mind. I love those headlights. Heck, I love everything about the old style miata.

If it doesn't have popup headlights it just isn't a true Miata in my mind. I love those headlights. Heck, I love everything about the old style miata.
    I like this guy.
    ...and across the line.

Engine Builder

I'm trying to keep an open mind about the tan on tan miatas because there are a lot of them for sale, but I'm having a hard time.

Engine Builder

What should I think if the person says that the engine has just been rebuilt with all new parts. Is this a good thing, bad thing, or need more information/take a mechanic type thing?

Well, the car I was driving died yesterday, so I'm convertible shopping now. I'm just so excited about being able to get back into a Miata. I had to sell my last one when I moved abroad for a few years. I think I've found a good one.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=52

"you should get a 98, 97 was a bad year."

He was pulling your leg, there was no 98 year model miata.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast