Thread: Aussie Pursuit

Default Aussie Pursuit

I am up at Memphis running at MMP. Today at the end of the practice day they ran what they call an Austrailian Pursuit Race. Ended up where 5 Miatas were entered. We use about 3/4ths of the track (cutting out the dicey walled part.) Two cars would line up against each other and start from a 15mph rolling start. The winner went into the winners bracket and loser into the loser bracket. Three of the cars (including mine) are ITA miatas and the two others were two of the fastest SMs in the South (Jim Drago's & Mark Pombo's with Pat Sandlin driving it.) After the dust had cleared Drago won the winners bracket and I won the losers bracket. Before the race the organizer had said that the loser bracket winner could challenge the winner for a winner take all race (there was a little $$ involved) so I had to challenge Drago. He said he would accept (after a bunch of good natured banter) and we lined up. On the start he had me by a car length or so but by the middle of the front straight I had pulled even and got past before we went into the Carosuel. We were both running pretty old rubber (mine from ARRC in November) and the high speed turn put me in a four wheel drift as we headed down towards the Ms (sharp right, left, right sort of like Rattlesnake.) Drago decided his only shot was to go across the corner in the grass as I went into the first right hander, as I started to setup for the lefthander I saw him in the grass way off to the left cutting back towards the edge of the track (I was laughing outloud at this point) so I just went straight across the grass cutting the L/R combination. Both of our cars were far apart on opposite sides of the track (grass) with the rearends drifting! I managed to gather up and reach the track first crossing the finish line. Everybody there was dying laughing and saying they had never seen anything like it. (It was sort of like Petty & Pearson without body contact, or actually either of our cars being even close together.) As Drago and I are close buddies, it was even more to sweet take the cash away from him. Alas, guess who had to buy dinner?
    This might be something that would be fun out at MSR sometime. I will try to find out how the organizers set it up. It reminded me of that ROC deal they do on the side by side course during the racing off season.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

This thread is worthless without video! Sounds like fun
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Sounds like you had a great time.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Had a great weekend as I won both ITA races. I fixed an overheating problem by taking out the thermostat and running some cooler plugs. The ITA setup is getting better (and me too) with each race. Once I get the better shocks I think it will be about as good as you can make it. If I can learn to manage tires a little better I think those two seconds I need to find will show up. Running ITA lets me be able to watch the SM race each weekend. You really get to see some very good pilots. The SM racers can drive. Another aspect of ITA that comes into play is the mix of cars. Dealing with lapped traffic in a momentum car takes some thinking on the drivers part. If you get held up in the wrong corner, you can lose a big lead quick. Sometimes it is better to brake early and let the slower car make it through the turn well ahead so that you can carry speed instead of looking for lowend grunt that isn't there. I had that happen Sunday on the next to last lap and a big lead desolved. On the last lap I saw the same thing happening and slowed my turn in to allow the other car to give me room and kept momentum that probably won me the race.
    I talked with some of the Ark. Miata Club guys, they are fired up for Hallett.

Mac
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"