Thread: Improving AX Events

Default Improving AX Events

We’ve all noticed throughout the years that troubles in the Trailer can – and have – caused big problems at our autocross events. I’d bet this is true everywhere, not just in the DFW area. Well, I’d like to suggest two steps that I feel could go a long way to solving this problem. I’ve mentioned this in eMails to both the ER Board (I’m one of them now, so I’ll be pushing this there) and the SCCA Board, and I thought I’d share my idea with this wider audience. Lots of autocrossers in the area -- not just Miata Pilots -- read our forum.

Warning: This is a long post, so if you are easily bored or distracted, just move on to the next thread about the next MME get-together (GTG) or how to change your blinker fluid.

First, let’s define the problem. Very simply, it is a lack of expertise in the Trailer. There are certainly some folks who have worked the computer, timing, and/or control for many years, and know all the ins-and-outs of Trailer operation. When they are in the Trailer, things run quite smoothly. But there are many more folks – and I’m one of them – who are either new to these jobs, or were never really trained on these jobs. They do their LEVEL BEST to do a good job, but they simply don’t have the tools to succeed. And when they have problems, we all have problems.

So I recommend two steps to help alleviate this issue:

1) Train the Trailer
    2) Don’t rush the Trailer

Train the Trailer

• People erroneously believe that the problem is always with “the computer” (or Computer Operator). This is not always so. There are three positions in the Trailer that are critical to a smooth-running event: the Computer Operator, the Timing & Scoring, and most importantly Control. Each of these positions takes someone who is properly trained and motivated to do a good job.

I recommend holding a series of training classes for all three positions. This isn’t a one-hour “hunt-n-peck” bull session. It should be serious classroom and “lab” classes, designed by current experts in our area, and held over several weekend days during the winter months. Classroom sessions would cover the procedures and responsibilities for each job, the theory of how to run a good event, how to handle problems, and how to communicate effectively within the Trailer and with the Course Workers. A written test for each position would be given, and each trainee would be required to pass the test.

The “lab” session(s) would take this “book-knowledge” to the field. Set up the computer, printer, timing lights, display. Hand out radios to “course workers”. Run cars on a course (I envision this being held in a school’s gymnasium, with large remote control cars being run on a short course to simulate a real event). At first, the event would run smoothly, with few problems. Then additional problems would be thrown in: Timing lights being hit. Printer going on the fritz. Unregistered cars showing up to the starting line. Course worker running through the timing lights. Course workers not doing their job properly (Control should take a strong hand in admonishing these slackers, and keeping the event running smoothly). Cables to the timing lights get frayed. And so on. The Trailer’s reaction to these problems would be evaluated by the Trainers, and suggestions made. Problems would be re-run, so that improvements in communication and actions could be made. Things would be repeated over and over… as many times as needed.

At the end of this course – again, consisting of classroom training and a significant amount of “hands-on” training – the Trainers would evaluate (on a Pass-Fail basis) each student. Those that pass the course would receive an official Certificate of Completion, something that should be officially recognized by both Equipe Rapide and the SCCA.

Why would anyone put themselves through all this? For two reasons. First, to get a permanent job inside the shaded, semi-airconditioned Trailer. Second – and probably more importantly – because they would be given 75% off a year’s pre-registration at SCCA and ER. Yep, you read correctly. As “compensation” for mature, serious people taking the time to properly learn how to manage an event and work the Trailer, I’d give them a financial incentive… it’s that important to have well-trained Trailer operators!
    Don’t Rush the Trailer

• In our haste to get and keep an event running, we often rush things in the Trailer, either at the start of the event, or between heats. I know that I – as a Computer Operator – have on several occasions not been ready to have cars hit the course, but they went out anyway. “It’s OK, you’ll catch up... we've gotta get going!” is usually said. This is not acceptable, and in the end it causes more delays… when things go wrong, or at the end of the day when scores/times are reviewed and numerous mistakes need to be corrected. Rushing the Trailer is never a good idea.

I suggest that at the end of each heat, the Computer Operator, Control (who also tallies penalties), and Timing (who writes down times) be allowed to quickly review the results of that heat. It’s a simple thing of the Computer Operator reading out each car number, it’s time, and any penalties. Discrepancies between the three key Trailer personnel should be fixed then and there. Once the three are in agreement, the heat’s data should be saved (as a separate file), and the Trailer can be officially turned over to the next heat’s Trailer Operators. All in a controlled, orderly fashion.

I believe this would only take a couple of minutes – 5 or 6 at most – and would save a TON of time at the end of the day. Trophies could be handed out 20 minutes after the last car ran, instead of 45 minutes to 2 hours (yes, it’s been that long sometimes) after the event is over. It would also make the full post-event audit much easier, and allow for quicker posting of results on the websites.

Those are my two suggestions for improving “autocrossing life” for everyone. There are other “challenge areas” – registration, course work, car numbers (not being clear), etc. Others who are closer to those areas might have ideas for improving them as well. But problems in the Trailer affect everyone at an event, and solving them will go a long way to making our events more fun.

Rich Keesecker
    Kestrel Racing
    ’99 Miata 4CS

It may be adventageous to have all three people in trailer ops verify that they are ready before the starter sends the next car. This may only take a couple of seconds, but it sounds like it could save a tremendous amount of time.

I posted the following registration related info in another thread:

I worked SCCA registration last year, and I can point to several things that cause a slowdown.

1. People that do not know what class they are running
    2. People that stand in the wrong line in registration
    3. One list of car numbers that is being maintained by someone that is
    also registering entrants
    4. Multiple drivers driving the same car that are not sure of what number
    they want to run
    5. Lost registration cards
    6. "What numbers are available?"
    7. "I'm paying for my buddy too, but he is in the other line."
    8. "My buddy paid for me, but he was in the other line."

There are some other things as well, but these are the ones that stick out in my mind the most.