Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damnit...

Default Damnit...

It still won't turn over... I seem to have power everywhere except the one place I need it - the starter. I think I have all the connections correct... I think.

Time to double check...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What!?!?! You're working on the BUR!??!?!

Did'nt I remmember that you have a missing wire off of the wiring harness that went to the starter soleniod?

Maybe from the ignition switch?

Many eons ago I remember you posting somthing to that effect.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Exclamation

How about this for a problem...

Notice... the connector is on the correct side of the car, however, one has slots for 6 and the other for 5. But it is the correct connector... what the hell should I do now?

About where are those plugs located. It looks like a stereo speaker/ph\ower cable and maybe a center console connector.

It's hard to visualize the connector location in the picture you sent.

Nah... these were over by where the heater/blower would have been. However, they do provide power to the dash lights (got them working!) Here's what I did... I found the old plug (with 6 slots) and carefully disassembled it and the five slot plug, and methodically replaced each lead to it's correct position on the 6 slot plug.

Are you sure you have the correct wiring running to the starter box? I've heard that white cardboard will short out a wiring harness.. you need the ignition system in the same box as the starter, also.

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Bean,

Do you want me to send over the original "monkey"?

Have you tried jumping over to the solenoid and see if all of that is working properly?
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    Bean,

Have you tried jumping over to the solenoid and see if all of that is working properly?
    No need for the original monkey just yet... however, I have tested the battery (11.4 volts) and I'm getting all the lights on the dash to work. Gauges are registering and all lights are functional. She just won't turn over... I'm getting the click click but nothing more. All the connections are made (and I triple checked the connections on the starter motor.)

I'll check the manual for the solenoid test.

Is the starter good?

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Is the starter good?
    I believe so...

Funny thing, I accidentally bridged the leads to the starter and the whole car kicked.

Bean,

I ment to say.... Have you tried jumping over the solenoid and see if all of that is working properly?[/
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I ment to say.... Have you tried jumping over the solenoid and see if all of that is working properly?[/
    And after you've done that and if still not getting results, see if you can turn the engine with a socket on the crankshaft bolt (unhook the battery). Then try to start it. I had a situation once where the starter and flywheel just seemed to be in a lockup, and just a slight advance of the flywheel was all it needed.

No... how do you do that?

Old fords, had the solenoid mounted separate of the starter and all you had to do is place a screwdriver between the two nuts on the solenoid.

At 11.4 volts, you are probably dropping voltage way down below 9.6 volts once you turn the ignition over. Hence the , click click.

I have a battery booster that I can bring right over.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    I have a battery booster that I can bring right over.
    Bean, just for giggles try jumping it off with your other vehicle (running).

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Bean, just for giggles try jumping it off with your other vehicle (running).
    I tried that earlier... no dice.

Unless of course it just couldn't pull off the Accord.

Can you disconnect the hot cable that goes to the starter and then just place it on the hot for the starter. I will spark some when you first place the cable on, but should be ok. Of course make sure that its in neutral and that the key is off, WEAR safety goggles or sun shades and gas or other flammable stuff is NOT around!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast