Thread: Topeka Race weekend

Default Topeka Race weekend

I went to Hallett weekend before last and Topeka this past weekend.
    Hallett was semi wet, but not enough for treaded tires. The IT suspension is a vast upgrade from the SM setup. Much easier to be a better driver since we figured out the binding up problem we had with the bushings. Finished 1st on Saturday, so Sunday I didn't qualify and started at the back. I got all the way to 2nd but the leader did a nice job of holding me off to get the win.
    Topeka was hot and dry. I paddocked with Travis Norwald (SM / ITA) from KC, and Ren Tucker who had Rick Elsie with him. Both of them are Ark, Miata Club guys. I think they usually help with the Hallett Miata day. Ren runs a 1.6 SM and is getting faster each race. They do an extra good job on their setup and mechanicals. (Good guys to hang with.)
    Friday we ran the same layout of last years Runoffs. I think I was about 2 seconds off the good SM times from last year. I had trouble in the last couple of turns from Friday until the last three or four laps Sunday. When I got them right it was by accident!
    Saturdays race was on a shorter configuration that had a left turn for T1 instead of the sharp right we used on the practice day (and on Sunday.)
    I managed to just inch out Travis and a BMW for the ITA pole. On the start the BMW smoked us and we were chasing him and some ITR cars the first two laps. Our cars are so much faster in the turns that if we time it right we can beat the BMW power. I was able to squeeze by both Travis and the BMW coming out of the Bus Stop and got a nice run through the back side of the track. This gave me a really good start for the next lap which turned out to be my highpoint of the day (track record.) I hit all my spots and with the BMW and Travis fighting each other I got a clear track. A missed shift on the next lap left me fighting to hold the lead (and overdriving the car.) Trying to stay ahead I went into the next to last turn and spun right in front of 4 cars who dodged me and left me in the dust. Now I really started pressing and on the next lap spun in the same place again! Next time around I got the furled black flag. Not really thinking I drove into the pits and the Steward asked me if I felt ok or if the car was damaged. I told him no I had just been over driving the car. I went back out and got my timing back down and turned some good laps. Travis finished first (his first ever win) which was great if I couldn't win. Sunday was another new configuration for me and I got a lot of info from the locals about how to attack it. Travis and I drafted in the Q session and he was on the pole for our class and 3rd overall. I was next to him with the BMW behind. We planned to try to hold the inside line together on the start trying to hold off the BMW. Travis missed a shift on the start and I moved over on the inside of the entry to T1 (going right this time) and beat the BMW through T1 & T2. He closed on me a little in T4 as I was downshifting into 3rd (Later in the race I started using 4th through T4 and picked up a half a second.) He made a run on my inside on the short straight before the Bus Stop, but made a good move tucking in behind. The Bus Stop is no place to late break. It is sort of Kinky (you know one of those spots on the track where you want to hit the exact spots to do it right, like the KINK at RAmerica.) Determined not to have a repeat of Saturday I made sure I was fast everywhere except at the short approach to the last two turn complex. I used a little extra caution after spinning there repeatedly. I think this helped me get through the final turn on to the front straight more in control and helped my times. Mid way through the race Travis climbed on to my tail and drove the heck out of the his 1.6. With him right behind I went even faster and we gapped the BMW. Next to last lap he gave a look at going inside before the Bus Stop, but decided he was only to my back wheel, checked up and followed me through. We finished one and two which was great. Heartland gives TR certificates out which is a nice touch. Shannon Mc. told me the Saturday configuration is how they use to run the Pro races.
    Our buddy Ren from Little Rock was with us at the start (they ran SM with the IT groups) but got nailed by another SM on the start.... on the straight! The car hit him hard and knocked him into the wall. His car is totaled so he won't have it at the Hallett Miata Day. Good news is he wasn't hurt ( God bless the Hans) and he was looking for a cheap donor today. Racers are crazy. He and Rick told me they look forward to seeing the Texas crowd at Hallett.

Mac
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

So where has this big improvement come from, Mac? Car prep or driver?
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Merv,
    It is a combination. After 7 or 8 years I guess some stuff starts being second nature that I use to have to think about to get it done. That coupled with a car that has been prepped well, and also built with suggestions from a guy who probably has the best ITA Miata in the country. I am no world beater by any stretch, but with a car that is easier to go fast in the turns, I have improved my driving. As with anything at my age I have good days (last Sunday) and days that are not as good (last Saturday). I always remember my best races came when the car was easy to drive no matter if it was my car or someone elses. Way back in 01 Jim MacKay and I shared his car at RAtlanta in one of those SARRC /ProIT / ECR weekends. Saucier had prepped it at the time and it was a dream to drive. I was three seconds faster then I had been in my own car. In a straight line my old SM was as fast or faster, but his was twice as fast making a turn. The ITA trim miata feels that way or more so. Another thing that probably has made a difference, is at Memphis and at Topeka I was running with local guys in miatas who could really get around the track. Roger Johnson up at Memphis has a million laps in all kinds of cars at MMP and has a well prepped ITA miata. He and I battled each race there. At Topeka, Travis Norwald has a pretty dang fast SM and a lot of track time at Heartland. As said above we went at it the entire weekend. Being able to hang with and sometimes beat those guys has given me a little more confidence in my driving ability. The car probably can't get a whole lot better (although with an expected new ECU rule coming it might) but maybe fine tuning the setup is a place to get better. I know that driver consistency would be the the best place to find improved results, but that may never happen.
    I always have fun racing no matter where I finish, but being involved in the MidAM points race has added a little more "will to try to win" to each race weekend. Getting that 75 cents checkered flag to hang out your window on a victory lap puts a smile on your face if nothing else. I can tell you the winning aspect is nice, but not very high on the list as far as what was fun about the weekend. It is the people you hang with in the paddock and at the track party. The stories you hear and the the crazy stuff you see. That is by far the best part of a race weekend.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"