Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I is painting!... and a question

Default I is painting!... and a question

Well, I broke down and picked up some supplies a little while ago to repaint my brake calipers (from red to black) and my front bumper lip (redoing the stripes and a bunch of cracked areas) and some of my interior. It's going well so far, I'm almost done with the left brakes and about 1/3rd through the lip. I'm not really getting detailed because I'll probably have the entire thing repainted at some point... again. This was a CRAPPY job.

Anyway, about the interior.

How in the HECK to do you get the gauge hood off?

I've tried and tried, but even though I undo both Philips screws under the bottom, it won't come apart and I'm afraid I'll break it. Any help?? This is getting annoying
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Don't worry... no matter how gentle you are, it will break.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Don't worry... no matter how gentle you are, it will break.
    Heh, I just got it figured out... and I didn't break it. Yay me! It's gonna break going back in though, I can feel it

Side note: What can I do about getting the paint off the hood? Some of it feels normal but there's some rubbery-sticky parts on it.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Heh, I just got it figured out... and I didn't break it. Yay me! It's gonna break going back in though, I can feel it

Side note: What can I do about getting the paint off the hood? Some of it feels normal but there's some rubbery-sticky parts on it.
    How the did you not break the damn thing??? I thought I got mine off just fine until I tried to put it back on... and then I noticed it wouldn't stick back in... and then I noticed that large chunks were still stuck in the dash!

Booooo...

Congrats, MadMonkey...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I hope you had a decent coat of wax then hit it up with a clay bar.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    I hope you had a decent coat of wax then hit it up with a clay bar.
    Er... the gauge hood, not that thingy covering the engine bay

EDIT: Another question. Is there a writeup on removing and replacing all the interior carpet? I don't want to dive into something without knowing what I'm getting into. I'm not going to remove the dash to replace it... I know it's possible!

Next Question: Where do I put the lubricant for the speedometer cable? I removed the gauge cluster and I believe I know the answer (in the hole, duh) but I want to make sure. Any suggestion on the type of lube to use?

Thanks guys. She's coming together
    Last edited by MadMonkey; 07-28-2007 at 06:37 AM.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Er... the gauge hood, not that thingy covering the engine bay
    Oh, you could try some Novus plastic polish.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Next Question: Where do I put the lubricant for the speedometer cable? I removed the gauge cluster and I believe I know the answer (in the hole, duh) but I want to make sure. Any suggestion on the type of lube to use?

Thanks guys. She's coming together
    Remove the cable and coat it with grafite. It should be dry, but not rusty. If you see lost of rust, get a new sheath, cause it's toast.(personal experience talking)
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Banned

Denatured alcohol will remove the overspray, if that is what you are describing as "from the painting". If you have painted it, and now want to remove the paint (from the plastic), better off just painting stock color (or color of choice). I have tried lacquer thinners in the past, they work, but too well....turns surface of plastic into a guey mess. Some PVC's can handle it, but I wouldn't trust ruining a good cluster hood. Also, did your hood have three clips, the "book" mentioned these, but did not show how to release them or WHEN to undo them. Good luck getting it together.

Banned

Second suggestion to your edit: All the carpet can be replaced without removing the dash...it is more difficult, but can be done. Hope you have some small monkeys available. Ha! The only downside is the carpet plugs (those little rubber things that stick in through holes to hold it in place) Those usually end up getting destroyed by removal. Some hardware stores carry them and are way cheaper than the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Remove the cable and coat it with grafite. It should be dry, but not rusty. If you see lost of rust, get a new sheath, cause it's toast.(personal experience talking)
    Thank you... now to find some graphite.. I suppose I could grind up a golf club shaft...

Quote Originally Posted by trexmiata View Post
    If you have painted it, and now want to remove the paint (from the plastic), better off just painting stock color (or color of choice).
    Actually I haven't painted it; I'm preparing to paint it. It had some scratches and chips off the stock paint.

The top of the hood is okay, but down around the edges the paint is sticky and rubbery (when I rub it, some of the paint will stay on my finger). I was wondering if there some way to get rid of it so I didn't have to paint over that mess.

Second suggestion to your edit: All the carpet can be replaced without removing the dash...it is more difficult, but can be done. Hope you have some small monkeys available. Ha! The only downside is the carpet plugs (those little rubber things that stick in through holes to hold it in place) Those usually end up getting destroyed by removal. Some hardware stores carry them and are way cheaper than the dealer.
    I found some plugs at Autozone that look like they'll work; I'm going to take one of mine in just to be sure though.

As of now, the brake calipers have been repainted and look much, much better (the car colors match great now).

The front lip looks WAY better than it did, previously it had a ton of chips, dings, cracks, smudges, etc. I gave it a quick sand and masked it (the stripes extend onto it), then blasted it with cheap $2.50-can spray paint. It looks nice, and you can even see your reflection in it! I didn't go into a lot of detail because I'll probably get it repainted when I save up a bit of money.

I'm thinking a bass-boat dark metallic blue with 2 white stripes....
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Lock Smith dry lube is grafite. Should be able to get it at autozone or Home Depot in a little container for a buck or two.

You could also take a pencil and shave the lead out of it.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

Well gee, maybe I could do all this carpet stuff that I'm planning if SOMEBODY hadn't piled the #$% garage full of lawn tools, construction equipment, and other assorted CRAP. I can't even find my carpet and it was in a BIG box, WTF???

My brother: "Ooh I'll tell ya what, we'll each take half the garage, I'll take the front and you can have the back"

Me: "Okay" *suspicious*

A month later, my RC planes were being squeezed out by "necessities" and I'd be finding $1k worth of planes being stacked on each other and piled in corners.

I'm ticked.

Somebody cheer me up
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Banned

I have 4 kids, and that happens to me all time.... not w/ the planes though. I feel I'm being squeezed out by necessity.... Does that helP? :)

Sounds like some Denatured Alcohol might get rid of the gooey stuff and allow you to prep for painting. Denatured A is good for any painting prep as it creates a static repellent to block dust for a bit....

Sounds like some Denatured Alcohol might get rid of the gooey stuff and allow you to prep for painting. Denatured A is good for any painting prep as it creates a static repellent to block dust for a bit....
    I'll try that.

Side note... I asked my brother about the carpet, and it sounds like there's a chance he threw it away.

Let's hope, for his sake, that he didn't do anything so incredibly foolish.

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Actually I haven't painted it; I'm preparing to paint it. It had some scratches and chips off the stock paint.

The top of the hood is okay, but down around the edges the paint is sticky and rubbery (when I rub it, some of the paint will stay on my finger). I was wondering if there some way to get rid of it so I didn't have to paint over that mess.

I know about the goey paint paste you speak of. When I painted mine I used some single edge razor blades and an exacto knife to scrape as much of the paint as I could then I lightly sanded it, cleaned with alcohol and went to town painting it.

Good luck!
    Michael
    1990 Classic Red "C" Package with Hardtop.
    1990 White project from Heck!

I am full of good ideas, just most people don't call it good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Red View Post
    I know about the goey paint paste you speak of. When I painted mine I used some single edge razor blades and an exacto knife to scrape as much of the paint as I could then I lightly sanded it, cleaned with alcohol and went to town painting it.

Good luck!
    Hey, that sounds like it could work. I'm still trying to find the carpet at the moment, but I'll try that. Thanks a lot for the help, guys, I'll let ya know if I need anything else
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Update: Speedometer squeak is FIXED!!! The graphite worked perfectly. And my carpet was located in the backyard toolshed.

Unfortunately, the gauge hood did break on the way back in. But... er... I found out it was actually broken before I even tried to take it off No wonder it was so easy!! Now it looks like I'll need a new one.

Today: Carpet, lighted gauge faces, if there's enough time, headrest speakers. I'll be busy, hold my calls

Thanks again for the help, guys. Further bulletins as events warrant!!!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

QUESTION!

I need a power source for the lighted gauge faces. I'm working on them right now (veeery gingerly); what can I tie in to that will turn them on when the lights are turned on? I don't have a stinkin voltmeter
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Just hook them into the cigarette lighter and they will come on whenever the ignition is turned on. Otherwise, you could use the wire off of the stereo for the dimmer circuit.

Last edited by Radio-Active; 07-31-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add wiring diagram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast