Thread: Aerodynamics

Default Aerodynamics

Will the factory chin spoiler help on a 94 at speed. It seems that the car wants to try to float above 85. Will the chin spoiler correct that or do I need to look at other alternatives like a racing beat nose job?

Gary's splitters look effective, but I don't have any data to back that up.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Will the factory chin spoiler help on a 94 at speed. It seems that the car wants to try to float above 85. Will the chin spoiler correct that or do I need to look at other alternatives like a racing beat nose job?
    I'd start by checking for loose ball joints/tie rods/etc and making sure the alignment is in spec...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That's the first time I've ever heard that, especially at 85. What tires are you running at what pressures?

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

I noticed a surprising improvement with the OEM chin from as low as 50-60mph. But is it possible you have zero toe or slight toe out in front?

Its always done this since we got it a year and a half ago. I am hypersensitive to handling and other quirks in a my cars. This is not a pronounced problem and does not effect its driveability. This is simply an issue I would like to correct.

The FM springs with AGX shocks did not change it. Even AJ's pattented alignment did not change it.

Tie rods are a definate possibility, as are ball joints. But it seems to me to be wind pushing the car around versus a mechanical thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Gary's splitters look effective, but I don't have any data to back that up.
    The splitter requires you to have the spoiler already.

Is AJ's patented alignment toe-in/out/ or zero? Are you running crap tires or UHPs?
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Alignment toe-in
    Tires are not what everyone calls UHP but they are not crap either. Yokohama AVID T4 maybe.

Its not my DD and I honestly don't remember a purchase I made over a year ago.

Alignment toe-in
    Tires are not what everyone calls UHP but they are not crap either. Yokohama AVID maybe.

Its not my DD and I honestly don't remember a purchase I made over a year ago.
    Those are crap. I used to like them, but then I learned there were better options... Steering response/turn-in on my Civic went from MUSHY to sharp when we went from those to the MUCH cheaper Kumho 768 for $22 each at Discount. Borrow somebody else's tires and see if it feels different. I bet it will.

When I put my GV lip on I noticed some difference.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Those are crap. I used to like them, but then I learned there were better options... Steering response/turn-in on my Civic went from MUSHY to sharp when we went from those to the MUCH cheaper Kumho 768 for $22 each at Discount. Borrow somebody else's tires and see if it feels different. I bet it will.

I appreciate the response but I don't think the tires are what I am feeling. My 7K lb ram does not do this with Michellin's even over 100 MPH. I used to have a HOnda CRX with crappy dunlop tires that was rock solid at 95.

If it was a turn or soemthing else then yes I could see it. But I am talking on a nice smooth straight away.

Why not test drive another NA to see if it's the same. Maybe switching from a jacked-up CJ to a Miata is throwing you off.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I appreciate the response but I don't think the tires are what I am feeling. My 7K lb ram does not do this with Michellin's even over 100 MPH. I used to have a HOnda CRX with crappy dunlop tires that was rock solid at 95.

If it was a turn or soemthing else then yes I could see it. But I am talking on a nice smooth straight away.
    I've seen tires do stranger things - most recently when I put a set of Falken ZE-512s on the Odyssey.

It had a strong pull to the right, which wasn't there with the uber-crappy no-name tires that were on it when we bought the van. Checked pressures, all good. Had the van aligned, still pulled right. Swapped the front tires right to left (They were unidirectional, so were now rotating backwards) - the van pulled left. Exchanged the Falkens for Michelin Symmetry (OE replacements) and the pull magically disappears... (So now I have mediocre Michelin OE tires, but at least it drives straight.)

At any rate, I suspect the factory air dam or an equivalent (Ratsback, Garage Vary, Home Depot brick paver edging) might well help with the stability at speed. Certainly there's some anecdotal evidence to that effect on the :Batman: board.

I think tweaks to the alignment could change the feel as well. Increased caster should help with on-center feel. Don't know how your toe is set, but 0 toe or slight toe out in front may be great for turn in, but can also make the front a little nervous.

I personally like the looks of the OE spoiler, so I'd use the potential handling benefit as justification for the spoiler. But I think Bean's suggestion makes for a great experiment, just to see...
    '96 M-edition

So anyone have a set of UHP tires/wheels they would be willing to loan me for a quick high speed run.

put some willie bars..
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    I've seen tires do stranger things - most recently when I put a set of Falken ZE-512s on the Odyssey.

It had a strong pull to the right, which wasn't there with the uber-crappy no-name tires that were on it when we bought the van. Checked pressures, all good. Had the van aligned, still pulled right. Swapped the front tires right to left (They were unidirectional, so were now rotating backwards) - the van pulled left. Exchanged the Falkens for Michelin Symmetry (OE replacements) and the pull magically disappears... (So now I have mediocre Michelin OE tires, but at least it drives straight.)

At any rate, I suspect the factory air dam or an equivalent (Ratsback, Garage Vary, Home Depot brick paver edging) might well help with the stability at speed. Certainly there's some anecdotal evidence to that effect on the :Batman: board.

I think tweaks to the alignment could change the feel as well. Increased caster should help with on-center feel. Don't know how your toe is set, but 0 toe or slight toe out in front may be great for turn in, but can also make the front a little nervous.

I personally like the looks of the OE spoiler, so I'd use the potential handling benefit as justification for the spoiler. But I think Bean's suggestion makes for a great experiment, just to see...
    I've gone through 2 sets of the Falken 512's (being replaced by the 452) and they are directional tires, so maybe that's why they pulled from swapping left to right.

Not that it is the solution to your problem HudsonHawk but the R package front air dam, rear air dam and deck spoiler made the R package NA have a slightly better coefficient of drag over the base model. Can't remember the specs but remember reading it in an old MT or R&T.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...