Thread: Power Steering fluid change necessary?

Default Power Steering fluid change necessary?

Is the power steering fluid something that should be changed at regular intervals? I notice that sometimes on longer slaloms the wheel feels like it momentarily gets heavier like going from power steering to manual steering and then back. Does the p.s. fluid need to be checked/changed like brake fluid etc? I figure mine it might be dirty or low or it might be unrelated.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Elderly Miatas are know for the steering stalling issue on slaloms. My '92 did it a few times, I changed the fluid and it still would do it on occasion, fixed it at an evolution driving school where I was told to make smother inputs, which also help.

You may also want to change your belts out with some new and see if you may also be having some belt slippage issues.

I get this on occasion, too. From those to which I have talked, there is not a lot you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Elderly Miatas are know for the steering stalling issue on slaloms. My '92 did it a few times, I changed the fluid and it still would do it on occasion, fixed it at an evolution driving school where I was told to make smother inputs, which also help.

You may also want to change your belts out with some new and see if you may also be having some belt slippage issues.
    LOL, all my car problems seem to be tracable back to the nut behind the wheel. I'll check the fluid level and belts to day and see, it's not really frequent maybe once an autocross or so.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I just did away with the fluid altogether.

......and put a manual rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I just did away with the fluid altogether.

After driving Apex2Apex's 94R with manual rack I'd rather go back to FWD than go through that. I can't even imagine how bad it is with the the slower ratio power steering rack.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Dang... now that I've actually been to an auto-x I can't imagine using manual steering... that would kill me!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Dang... now that I've actually been to an auto-x I can't imagine using manual steering... that would kill me!
    Especially with your little girlie arms!

Especially with your little girlie arms!

You wouldn't say that to my face!

with your girlie voice...

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Is the power steering fluid something that should be changed at regular intervals? I notice that sometimes on longer slaloms the wheel feels like it momentarily gets heavier like going from power steering to manual steering and then back. Does the p.s. fluid need to be checked/changed like brake fluid etc? I figure mine it might be dirty or low or it might be unrelated.
    I'll just chime in with my non-Miata experience (since my Miata does not have this problem). I've had the same thing happen in several vehicles over the years and it's basically due to an undersized pump. It's a hydraulic problem, not a fluid quality problem. So POS's advice is good; by slowing down your steering inputs, you are reducing the demands on the system and you avoid the power/no-power/power steering effect.

Did you search the pointy board? I didn't but I'll bet there's better info there. You're welcome
    Last edited by Darron65; 08-13-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: tried to improve my explanation

DING DING, round 2
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Default Question about the....other board

Why is it referred to as the "pointy board"?

rlt

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rob76turbo View Post
    Why is it referred to as the "pointy board"?

rlt
    http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...ointy+board%22

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Gee - I thought you two had met before.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

So, on a similar note related to the title......I went to Hallett on July 22. After every track session I had power steering fluid all around the reservoir. As the day progressed, more and more fluid was boiling over.
    Have any of yall changed the power steering fluid? Is it difficult? I've never looked to see what is required to do so.

Believe it or not, when I started AutoX I was driving a 1991 Honda Civic sedan with manual steering.

Pointies will tell you to De-flower your rack.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    So, on a similar note related to the title......I went to Hallett on July 22. After every track session I had power steering fluid all around the reservoir. As the day progressed, more and more fluid was boiling over.
    Have any of yall changed the power steering fluid? Is it difficult? I've never looked to see what is required to do so.
    I had a little coming out the reservoir at MSR, but I checked the level after each session and it never was down enough to really worry me.

Pointies will tell you to De-flower your rack.
    The ones who don't AX might, but I'm with CosmoPower on this one; PS is a good thing on an AX car.

johnwag the POSII had the puking problem, turned out the old o-rings on the cap had seen better days replaced them and it limited the amount of puking.

As far as changing the fluid goes does anyone have a good way of doing it?? I drained the reservoir with a hose and refilled a few times to help refresh the fluid, it helped some but the Evolution driving school I took did more to solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I had a little coming out the reservoir at MSR, but I checked the level after each session and it never was down enough to really worry me.
    I had a little coming out there, as well, but I had puddles coming out at Hallett. After checking the fluid, the dipstick measured near the bottom of the grid.

The ones who don't AX might, but I'm with CosmoPower on this one; PS is a good thing on an AX car.

johnwag the POSII had the puking problem, turned out the old o-rings on the cap had seen better days replaced them and it limited the amount of puking.

As far as changing the fluid goes does anyone have a good way of doing it?? I drained the reservoir with a hose and refilled a few times to help refresh the fluid, it helped some but the Evolution driving school I took did more to solve the issue.
    Considering the age of my car, that's a good idea. I would like to put some synthetic fluid with a high boiling point in its place.