Thread: Letting the Professionals Handle It

Default Letting the Professionals Handle It

I'm interested in installing "euro-style" gauges, an auto-dimming rear-view, new dash bezel, and a gauge bezel in my car. But the instructions I've read online make gauge installation look like brain surgery. Hair driers to loosen the glue? Marking how much fuel is left so the needle can be set? And all those tiny but vital parts that could spring out and get lost. As a perfectionist, I'm tempted to just hire someone to do it for me. Or am I being too much of a wuss? Is it not really that bad?

I don't really know if a typical repair mechanic would do this sort of thing. Who would I go to? Is there a shop in the metroplex that handles this sort of thing? Do they charge a lot?

What year is your car?

I just changed out my gauge faces and it's not as bad as it sounds, depending on the brand. I didn't bother with my bezel... I bought one off Ebay but decided it would look better without it.

What brand of gauges did you buy? More info plz!!

Oh and

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

The auto dimming mirror is a piece of cake. The hardest prt is findin a way to route the temperatre gauge through the fire wall. I mounted my thermocouple on the rock guard which I installed to protect the raditator.

I love my auto dimming mirror. It was the best money I spent on my car so far. No more blinding headlights from SUV's. I purchased the aftermaret Gentex brand from the Mito corperation with the compass and built in temperature gauge.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    What year is your car?

What brand of gauges did you buy? More info plz!!

My car's a '99, and I haven't actually bought any gauges yet. Do you have any recommendations? The LEDs on my head unit are blue and red, so I'd prefer blue and red gauges. But I'd be okay with solid red or solid blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    My car's a '99, and I haven't actually bought any gauges yet. Do you have any recommendations? The LEDs on my head unit are blue and red, so I'd prefer blue and red gauges. But I'd be okay with solid red or solid blue.
    Don't know about any solid red gauges yet but I've had experience with both ends of the spectrum with indiglos. The cheapies from Ebay (around $30 or less with shipping) seem to work just as well as the more expensive brands. I'm currently using the Ebay reverse indiglos and they look great.. plus they have blue and red in the same set

Solid blues are a bit easier to see the needles if you don't do anything extra to the needles.. I haven't decided what to do with mine yet. I'm replacing the stock cluster lighting with blue but I haven't tested it yet to see if it will affect the needle visibility.

I do have a secret idea that I'm considering though to fix that
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

If you need to tweak the needles and repaint them use Testors model paint. They have a transparent red that is used for model car taillights that works great on the needles.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!