Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So it finally happened: Rear ended in the miata

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex View Post

I tried to get him to give me new bumper cover and tail lamp, but he refused to. But what he did tell me is the total cost of the reconditioned items, which is around the same cost I have brand new ones shipped from mazdamotorsports.
    I personally would tell them to go jump in the lake and take the reconditioned parts with.

The adjuster called and agreed on fixing it.

The are paying $2424.42 for repairs + $200 for rental.

Estimate is based on the following:

Reconditioned bumper cover and tail lamp.

New hood hinges, finish panel and quarter panel.

I tried to get him to give me new bumper cover and tail lamp, but he refused to. But what he did tell me is the total cost of the reconditioned items, which is around the same cost I have brand new ones shipped from mazdamotorsports.

So my question is: Could I substitute new parts that are cheaper than the estimates? If so, will it cause any problem if the end repair cost is higher than the estimate cost?

TIA
    The adjuster for the woman who rear-ended you is telling you this? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in this instance you have the right to new OEM parts. If this was your adjuster and your policy allowed the use of reconditioned parts that would be a different story.

As far as substituting new parts I don't see why you wouldn't be ahead doing that. Get an estimate or two and explain your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    The adjuster for the woman who rear-ended you is telling you this? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in this instance you have the right to new OEM parts. If this was your adjuster and your policy allowed the use of reconditioned parts that would be a different story.

As far as substituting new parts I don't see why you wouldn't be ahead doing that. Get an estimate or two and explain your situation.
    I bet the adjuster realizes that if they have to spend much more than $2500, company policy is to total it. In order to keep it from being totaled, they are cutting a few corners to keep the price down. If Alen pushes too hard, I can see the adjuster saying take this, or we total it and you get a check for $4000.

That may be true, but if so then the adjuster needs to splain the big favor he's doing him. Then take that $ and shop some body shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I bet the adjuster realizes that if they have to spend much more than $2500, company policy is to total it. In order to keep it from being totaled, they are cutting a few corners to keep the price down. If Alen pushes too hard, I can see the adjuster saying take this, or we total it and you get a check for $4000.
    In which case you should accept the check, purchase new parts from Mazda Motorsport, and deliver them along with your bent car to the bodyshop of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    In which case you should accept the check, purchase new parts from Mazda Motorsport, and deliver them along with your bent car to the bodyshop of your choice.
    But then you'll have to spend money to buy the car back and it will forever have a salvage title which sucks. Either way it's now going to have a wreck on the Carfax report. If it wasn't such a clean R I'd let them total it in a heartbeat and whore it out for as much money as possible to start fresh.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Either way it's now going to have a wreck on the Carfax report.
    Not all states report to CarFax I don't know if Texas does or not, but I had a Passat that had been pretty significantly wrecked before I bought it. Clean CarFax when I bouight it, and again 2 years later when I sold it...
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    But then you'll have to spend money to buy the car back and it will forever have a salvage title which sucks. Either way it's now going to have a wreck on the Carfax report.
    It sounds like they are fixing it, not totalling it. As for the wreck showing up on carfax, who reports that? Ins. Co?

Getting $2400 for a 94 doesn't sound bad as long as its not totalled, hell that's more than what I paid for my 93 nine months ago!

You could come out ahead if you buy your parts from a salvage yard, ebay, forums... etc. There's a place on Harry Hines called New World that sells body parts pretty cheap.

Aftermarket parts are crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    +1111111111
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I have Farmers, used one of their "special" drive through and get fixed places...they screwed me 9 ways from sundown (just me experience)

I have full coverage on a salvage title car, asked about all the additional money I had spent on the car they told me keep the paperwork and I would be compensated for the higher priced parts in addition if the car was filed on.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    I have Farmers, used one of their "special" drive through and get fixed places...they screwed me 9 ways from sundown (just me experience)

I have full coverage on a salvage title car, asked about all the additional money I had spent on the car they told me keep the paperwork and I would be compensated for the higher priced parts in addition if the car was filed on.
    Farmer's fixed mine just fine!
    Last edited by cam76034; 02-21-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Dropped off the car at Frisco Paint and Body yesterday. It is going to be at least 2 weeks for the repair. Hopefully it will come back as new.
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

It is going to be at least 2 weeks for the repair.
    2 weeks, That is ridiculous.

You must not have a rental car

Hope it comes out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Stevan, tell us how you really feel..........
    I can relate, everytime I buy aftermarket stuff I cuss it and wonder it the time spent trying to get it to fit properly is worth the $ saved.

Alan,

As everyone else has already said, sorry.

I have used Caliber Collision Centers, the one in West Fort Worth. The repaired hail damage on my Kia Amanti. So far (6 months) I am pleased with the quality of the work...

RedHot-n-Red

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123