Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entertaining weekend at Hallett

Default Entertaining weekend at Hallett

Novice driver, hoosiers, 120mph loop right before turn 7, backed into the tire wall backwards, flipped front over rear like a punted football. I could see the car in the air from turn 2-3, in the tire wall on the other side of the pond...I bet it had 5' of air. I don't know how the hell he got the car over there, the tire marks didn't tell the story either.

1300 miles on the clock. It was bad ass too. Yellow (carbon?) brakes, exhaust, techart wheels, and all other kinds of cool garbage I can't name that doesn't matter anymore. It will probably live again as a racecar.

Yes, my camera phone is 6 years old.

Every single panel on the car was bent. The hood almost made it out unscathed, but apparently whacked a tire and had a slight crease.

and the runner up...

I came across the most dangerous person on the track I've ever seen. An guido in a c5z (who liked to clutch, brake, then downshift of idle), went in too hot to pass me, went off track, then passed me in a corner (wiped my nose in 4 because he didn't drive the line), put 2 off on 6, I had to brake for him, then put 4 off in 10, and then pulled off in front of me like 100' out of the corner...he turned his head and looked right at me, and I had to take it into the grass at 60mph or so after some created braking...this is all in one lap!

Then he ignored the black flag, smoked a clutch unlike any clutch I've ever seen before on the renegade lap, then he was booted.

lol
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 08-26-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Dang
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Damn...

I hope they put him on the "do not return, ever" list for ignoring the black flag.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

looks like it's a good thing i didn't make it to hallett today

That's the reason I don't like public track days. Too many mouth breathers with a lot more horsepower than skill.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Wow Trey!!!!! Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me too much. We were lucky last month to have a lot of courteous drivers on the track. Doesn't seem like you had that opportunity this time.

What were your lap times like this past weekend? Any improvements?

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Wow Trey!!!!! Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me too much. We were lucky last month to have a lot of courteous drivers on the track. Doesn't seem like you had that opportunity this time.

What were your lap times like this past weekend? Any improvements?
    I cut down 1.5 seconds...I ran a 1:41.

We actually had a really good group though. My limitation is rubber at this point. I am seriously considering r-compounds. I rode/drove with an SM driver/instructor for a session and she pretty much alluded that a few places where I don't have as much steering input as I'd like, could be alleviated by r-compounds.

I've done 9 track days now, 8 at Hallett, and I don't really know if I should get a set of Azenis or NT-01's for the set of 15's I'm picking up to accomidate the "sport" brakes. I am at least going to burn up the 60% of rubber I have left on these azenis first.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post

I've done 9 track days now, 8 at Hallett, and I don't really know if I should get a set of Azenis or NT-01's for the set of 15's I'm picking up to accommodate the "sport" brakes. I am at least going to burn up the 60% of rubber I have left on these Azenis first.
    Great! I was hoping you would hit 1:41!

Before you switch to R-comps, get sways, a PPF brace, and an LSD. Every miata driver should focus on handling and suspension before power. This was, and still is the theory that I go by. Considering how much money that you've spent on the turbo kit that is sitting in your hotel room, take the R-comp money and pay for the suspension mods you need. Drive for a while with a nice handling, fairly quick, naturally aspirated miata and get your CONSISTENT lap times into the mid to high 1"30's, then upgrade your car with more power when you know that your limits have been maxed. More power just means more expenses.

Before you switch to R-comps, get sways, a PPF brace, and an LSD. Every miata driver should focus on handling and suspension before power. This was, and still is the theory that I go by. Considering how much money that you've spent on the turbo kit that is sitting in your hotel room, take the R-comp money and pay for the suspension mods you need. Drive for a while with a nice handling, fairly quick, naturally aspirated miata and get your CONSISTENT lap times into the mid to high 1"30's, then upgrade your car with more power when you know that your limits have been maxed. More power just means more expenses.
    I'm going to take the car home this weekend to do sway bars...I think. You know how lazy I am. I don't know that the sway bars will reduce lap times, but it may make the car easier to drive. 1.8 cars are pulling me pretty hard on the straights though, even with faster exit speeds. Maybe MS will fix that for the track day in September (+/-115whp).

I'm going to take the car home this weekend to do sway bars...I think. You know how lazy I am. I don't know that the sway bars will reduce lap times, but it may make the car easier to drive. 1.8 cars are pulling me pretty hard on the straights though, even with faster exit speeds. Maybe MS will fix that for the track day in September (+/-115whp).
    Well, let's do sway bars and the torsen swap. You did tell me that you had an LSD, didn't you? Also, refer to my post in your sway bar thread.

Being that the BRG was a top of the line SE package, I would think it would have come standard. My Dad was going to buy one until he saw that they wanted an additional $4000 for it!

He opted for the 1991 B package in white with ABS and LSD
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Well, let's do sway bars and the torsen swap. You did tell me that you had an LSD, didn't you? Also, refer to my post in your sway bar thread.
    I have to send the r&p off for cryo first, so that's not going to happen before the next track day.

I just looked at that post. Man, if I could cut 1 more second off, I'd just about have a sezuire.

Time to email gary and drive the subaru back to OKC.

I have to send the r&p off for cryo first, so that's not going to happen before the next track day.

I just looked at that post. Man, if I could cut 1 more second off, I'd just about have a sezuire.

Time to email gary and drive the subaru back to OKC.
    We need to talk about your path to great handling, then buy those parts through Gary. Your car is capable of high 1:30's.

We need to talk about your path to great handling, then buy those parts through Gary. Your car is capable of high 1:30's.
    Do the RB links break or something, why would I need 2 sets of heim joints?

Do the RB links break or something, why would I need 2 sets of heim joints?
    1 pair for the front and 1 pair for the rear.

We actually had a really good group though. My limitation is rubber at this point. I am seriously considering r-compounds. I rode/drove with an SM driver/instructor for a session and she pretty much alluded that a few places where I don't have as much steering input as I'd like, could be alleviated by r-compounds.

I've done 9 track days now, 8 at Hallett, and I don't really know if I should get a set of Azenis or NT-01's for the set of 15's I'm picking up to accomidate the "sport" brakes. I am at least going to burn up the 60% of rubber I have left on these azenis first.
    What suspension and brake pads are you running at the track?
    I squeezed out a 1:37:99 on azenis while cooking the first and last set of HP Plus pads I'llever buy! I'm running GC with AGX at full stiff on the track.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Lol, uh yep more power=more likely to break stuff=more $$$! First lap of Hallett's SM/PA class race last month, blew a seal and was smoking like a bat out of hell! and I was cutting 1:34's in the practice sessions with that crappy suspension we have on the race car!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    What suspension and brake pads are you running at the track?
    I squeezed out a 1:37:99 on azenis while cooking the first and last set of HP Plus pads I'llever buy! I'm running GC with AGX at full stiff on the track.
    jesus christ!

I have 450/385 w/bilstein GC's and hp+. Those are the only mods on the car. It has "Lanny's" alignment. I don't know where I'm going to find another 3 seconds.

jesus christ!

I have 450/385 w/bilstein GC's and hp+. Those are the only mods on the car. It has "Lanny's" alignment. I don't know where I'm going to find another 3 seconds.
    You and I are gonna have to trade cars for a session. Or maybe you should let Chris or me drive your car with you in it. I would count on Chris being a faster driver considering his many years experience at Hallett.

You and I are gonna have to trade cars for a session. Or maybe you should let Chris or me drive your car with you in it. I would count on Chris being a faster driver considering his many years experience at Hallett.
    I get really nervous when other people drive my car, and vice versus. All it takes is one missed gear and the car is done.

It kinda sucks that I've managed to go from enjoying the track to hating every minute of it because I can't seem to get faster. I guess I'll just get back to reading in a futile attempt to escape the "more money than brains" designation...especially considering I don't have any money.

I've pretty much told myself that I'm not going to install the turbo motor until I get into the 1:30's...considering a 1:37 is attainable, I'm dropping it further.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast