Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Autocross 102 - AX102 - Mineral Wells - Saturday, March 6

The hardtop will not be any problem at all.

But if You're Mick Harrison, I thought you had a roll-bar???? You can run top down. They don't do any broomstick stuff for AX and TT...only at DE events. Just a good ol Hard Dog or other full loop bar. If it looks like a style bar you'll be hassled...since they don't let their Boxster drivers run top down with the factory double hoops.

Look forward to seeing you and the other 6 Miatas registered for the school on Saturday, only 4 on Sunday ;-(

Maniac Mitch

I'd probably be up for Sunday were it not for the fact that I will probably be out of tire by the end of the day on Saturday...

Bummer if your tires won't last the week-end!!

Saturday morning will be excercises like at Pennington, then Sat afternoon will be an AX with a pivot cone and a box. Sunday morning will be where we take Time-Trial course #1 and break it into sections, practice the hell out of each section, then run the actual time-trial in the afternoon.

If your tires look up to it, you may be able to register for Sunday Saturday afternoon...see Wendy or Lisa. Just make sure you have enough tire to get home!

I believe the event is full...at least Saturday is. You can check by emailing (without the spaces) wendy @ shoffit.com Each day is considered a different school. If you have AX experience, you may not want the do Saturday, but just Sunday, etc.

If anyone has any more questions/concerns let me know. If you want to get more info also check http://www.mavpca.org/autocross/schools/

Maniac Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch

But if You're Mick Harrison, I thought you had a roll-bar????

Maniac Mitch
    I am Mick Harrison But I never did add a bar, so far I've just been a lot of talk....

Just make sure you have enough tire to get home!
    Ayup... That's why even "street" tires get to ride on the trailer

If you have AX experience, you may not want the do Saturday, but just Sunday, etc.

Maniac Mitch
    Please clarify!

I've been playing autocross since 2001, not that I'm any good but I do have some experience!

I'd disagree with that. Even if you've got autocross experience, AX102 is going to be a good learning exercise for you.

Granted, you probably won't see anything you haven't seen before (skidpads, slaloms, braking exercises, etc.), but you will benefit from the input of an instructor, both on the morning exercises and in the afternoon autocross. The whole point of having an instructor is so you can get feedback on your technique (or lack thereof :P ), and get some insight on how to improve.

Iain
    (who will be out instructing on Saturday, but not Sunday)
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The whole point of having an instructor is so you can get feedback on your technique (or lack thereof :P )
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

And seat time never hurt anyone... I'm looking for some feedback. I also need to get my feet (tires?) back under me.

My comment about Sunday verus Sat was for Tailchaser who is tire-poor. I agree with Iain that both days are well worth it. However.....if.....I had to choose only 1, I'd choose Sunday due to it's higher speed format. I make no bones and do not try to hide that I like TT events more than AX. But I recommend a newbie start with AX and work up to TT then MSR type events. But again, only if you have to choose one or the other. Do both and you'll really get a massive amount of seat time.

Clear as mud???

Maniac Mitch
    Who'll be out there both days instructing.

Clear as ever

I enjoy the high speed stuff, but I excel at the lower speed stuff... At the moment, I need to spend more time getting the car to the ragged edge on the low speed stuff. I tend to be very lazy on the higher speed stuff, and I need to avoid doing that.

I'm hoping that I'll still have tire (and energy) at the end of the day on Saturday and that there will still be a spot on Sunday. We'll see.

Looks like panamericano, onething, POS Racing, gabkwong, sammm, JRW, and tailchaser are signed up for schooling at this school and/or the TT school on Sunday... Not a bad crowd... Though probably not the one your mother would want you to hang out with, either...

Did those of you note the following passage from Wendy's e-mail, "As for lunch, as an extra-added value, we will provide sandwiches at the track for you, free of charge. What a deal, huh? Oh, and remember… if you are a 2-day student, you will get a shirt, as well. We will have some extra shirts available for single-day students to purchase (at or very near our cost)."

Free lunch & the opportunity to score some cheap shirts! Skweet!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Free lunch & the opportunity to score some cheap shirts! Skweet!
    ya' cheap bastage! I was thinking the same thing when I read mine!

I'm really stoked to see that all 7 (that'd I'm aware of) of the Miata entries for Sat are on this list!!! Way cool!

We only started having this event listed as two separate events just last year....before it was just one two day event. We used to give out a free T-Shirt for this event, but absorbing the cost in the one-day fee was tough that's why the two day entry restriction.

Now the free lunch is new this year. I always say that "the best food is free food"!!!!!

I'm glad they developed the tech form. It should make the tech inspectors job a lot easier and FASTER.

Iain and I look forward to seeing you guys this week-end. Let me know if there are any more questions.

Maniac Mitch

*** ALERT ***
    There's a little problem with the Mav event this week-end. They don't have enough workers. So if you know someone who would like to come out to help...if you know someone that can ride out with you and help out like a significant other (Mick?) please email Wendy Shoffit at wendy @ shoffit.com (without the spaces).

In Wendy's words she needs: "Warm bodies are perfect. We need cone shaggers, people to run flags and watches. It's easy, inexperienced work."

I'm concerned that if they can't get enough workers, then instructors will have to be used and they'll have to reduce the entries accordingly. Since most instructors get two students, the need for 5 people to help out could eliminate the last 10 people who entered the event. Please email her with anyone that can help out...better yet, get them to email her. Get them to tell her when they'd be available (Saturday or Sunday or both) and if they have any experience at this sort of thing or not (what they did before). But...no experience necessary!

This is such a popular event each year that they've accepted more applications than usual and are now feeling the pinch. Email me direct at Mitchwil @ flash.net if you have specific questions about this.

thanks,
    Maniac Mitch

I have been put on the waiting list. My plan is show up in MW and see if I can go 'stand-by.' If no seats open up, then I'll work the event. They will load me up with goodies, lunch, other free stuff and fun runs.

Wendy was so down with all of that...

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    Wendy was so down with all of that...
    Wendy is always extremely nice...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Mick, the tech is at the track in the morning, and the main thing is fresh brake fluid and a secure bat.

Unfortunatly something has come up and I won't be able to attend Saturday. I figured the best way to stay out of the dog house is not to attend a driving school on the wife's birthday! On the otherhand I can't think of a better present for me on my birthday than kicking some old mans ass on Sunday!

FLYING,
    I'd rather see you there on Sunday anyway...and kick away...I wear my padded britches! I wanna see you beat most of the Porsches!!!

Joe.Miata, thanks for planning to stick around and help...hopefully they'll get enough help for get you in the event.

To any others that didn't make it in the event... The Mav region is really good about helping novices. If you go to either their AX or TT events and declare at registration that you're a novice and would like instruction, they will hook you up with an instructor who can walk the course with you and ride with you during the AX, and better yet at TT events, they get an instructor for you and you drive the course several times before the event starts.

Maniac Mitch

Well that coment was ment for IThing for no other reason than it is just plain fun :P See you guys on Sunday, and hopefully one of the Miata pilots got my slot for Saturday.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast