Thread: Cheap tires... what to get?

Default Cheap tires... what to get?

It's about time to get new tires for the Integra (unless somebody wants to buy it.. hint hint..).

I DON'T need any type of performance tire; I want to just get by on them for daily driving. Any good cheapies out there that handle well in rain?

Or, is somebody selling a cheap set of wheels with decent tires which look better than the stock steelies with ugly hubcaps?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    It's about time to get new tires for the Integra (unless somebody wants to buy it.. hint hint..).
    No tire answer for you... but why in the hell did you ever buy that damned car back if all you want to do now is sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    No tire answer for you... but why in the hell did you ever buy that damned car back if all you want to do now is sell it?
    Because I desperately needed something bigger than my Miata to haul my planes

I'm only selling it when I find another, bigger vehicle
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

You need one of these: Linkie

05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    You need one of these:
    Try as I might, I can't find an RC version. Interesting... looks like I could do something nobody else has!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    The words idiot and fumduck come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    The words idiot and fumduck come to mind.

Yes sammm, I can see your point.
    Last edited by sammm; 09-22-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: don't F with mods.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

AST, ASX, SPT Kumhos, Toyo Ziex 912
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Screw all that. Kumho 768 from Discount. Put a set of 4 on the Civic last month for less than $200 mounted, balanced and taxed. *There may have been a mileage adjustment from the last set that only lasted 40k miles.

Remember kids... Go see Al Cavan or one of the other Discount Tire folks we recommend BY NAME. Otherwise, your experience will probably SUCK!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Screw all that. Kumho 768 from Discount. Put a set of 4 on the Civic last month for less than $200 mounted, balanced and taxed.

I knew something was fishy when Midas bragged that their tires were only $100 each...
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Screw all that. Kumho 768 from Discount. Put a set of 4 on the Civic last month for less than $200 mounted, balanced and taxed. *There may have been a mileage adjustment from the last set that only lasted 40k miles.

Remember kids... Go see Al Cavan or one of the other Discount Tire folks we recommend BY NAME. Otherwise, your experience will probably SUCK!
    From speaking with him lately it sucks anyways. He would hardly do any adjustments even with the S2000 club discount, I now just order from edge or vulcan and have NTB mount/balance for 40 cash.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

If you've got a Sam's Club card, they're generally the cheapest "out-the-door" place to buy tires. Of course, you have to deal with the fumduck tire monkeys there, but...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    If you've got a Sam's Club card, they're generally the cheapest "out-the-door" place to buy tires. Of course, you have to deal with the fumduck tire monkeys there, but...
    I agree about warehouse prices are pretty cheap, but you want to watch out for shoddy materials. Such as: When I went to Costco to have my new tires mounted they charged me $40. Several months later I went around a corner pretty quick and merged onto a highway. I noticed the wheel started pulling to the right and I got off at the next exit. Checking the tire, I didn't see anything amiss. The valve stem had split and was dumping air. I changed the tire and checked the other three. All of them had small splits on the valve stem.

Moral of the story is: only use high quality valve stems.

valve stem
    Lee valve stem
    White n/a '97

Kumho 768 from Discount.
    Yes, these are cheap and will last a good while......if you have a good alignment, obviously.
    Also, discount tires sell the "Arizonian" brand. My dad has been using them on his cars for years. Good price, good tread life.

Check out Sumitomo tires.. ran them on my old Civic and the wifes RSX. Great tire for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    asx
    AST's are even cheaper and drive great. They are H speed rated but my wife doesn't top 130mph very often so I felt fine putting a set on her car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    AST's are even cheaper and drive great. They are H speed rated but my wife doesn't top 130mph very often so I felt fine putting a set on her car.
    +1, have a set on the civic. Cheap, quiet and with decent grip.
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".