Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apex at MSR October 6 & 20

Default Apex at MSR October 6 & 20

Apex Driving Academy has Novice and new Intermediate and Advanced groups at $195 for the day. Details are at www.apexdrivingacademy.com, but instruction is included for all novices (which fill quickly and may be full already) and as needed for Intermediate and Advanced. We strictly limit enrollment to ensure a low car count (16 or fewer) in the Int & Adv run groups and are introducing performancebox data acqusition-based instruction for Advanced students. We hav 2 PB units for rent, and I will personally be instructing advanced students. We did a dry run last weekend and the PB is a pretty good GPS-based data acquisition system that actually allows you to see your line on the track map, in addition to speed, lateral and longitudinal Gs.

I am no Michael Long, but not a slouch at MSR and will be sharing what I think I have figured out, with the possibility of actual data of you driving your car (and I can swap seats for comparison if you like).

You will get at least 6 20 minute sessions and have the rest of the weekend for other activities.

We sharply limit enrollment, so do sign up soon. 2007 has been pretty good and we have had wait lists at most events.

Keith Verges
    Apex Driving Academy
    www.apexdrivingacademy.com

Does the "novice" classification apply to all first time apex students? I did the TDR event on the 1.7, and I've done about 50 sessions at Hallett (I'm no pro, but I'm safe and cautious). I'd like to sign up closer to the event date considering I travel for work with no more than 24 hours notice, but if "novice" fills first I may not be able to attend.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 09-14-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Can a 17 year old drive in the novice group? His experience has only been in autocross.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

What are the roll bar rules for Miatas?
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Tim the Teacher and I have done 2 Apex events this year. (may 12 and jun 2)
    I highly recommend Apex over Driver's Edge for anyone that is new to tracking their car; same opinion for experienced driver's.
    Apex is very well scheduled and organized, the instructors are very helpful and the classroom instruction feels very personalized.
    I did my first event as a novice and my second event as an advanced driver. There is a BIG difference between novice and advanced classroom instruction time and the driving skill of the drivers involved in both groups.

For the price and amount of track time, it really can't be beat, locally.

Keith, what direction is being run on the 1.7 on october 20th?

I'm registered also

if I don't get the Miata back in time from being out of town, I'll likely run the Z06 for it's final track appearance

something about more HP on the hills of the 1.3

johnwag, the Apex site shows CCW direction on the 1.3
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Roll bars are not required, but I cannot recommend them more highly. That may change in 2008, as MSR may prohibit convertibles without roll bars.

17-year olds are welcome in Novice, but Novice is sold out for these dates.

With prior experience, we will consider you in intermediate or even advanced, but you must contact us privately to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Keith, what direction is being run on the 1.7 on october 20th?
    Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    johnwag, the Apex site shows CCW direction on the 1.3
    I still wanna know what direction the 1.7 is being run.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    I still wanna know what direction the 1.7 is being run.
    http://www.motorsportranch.com/calen...ate=10/19/2007

Website says 1.7 CW

I might have to attend this event...if I end up going back to dallas as planned next week, and can get into an intermediate group.

So who is going to the Oct 20 event? Since I missed out on the Hallet event. John told me (see below) that he is adding the intermediate run group!

We do have an intermediate group. We are running three groups now and
    working on the website to get it added. Please go to our website and
    register as a user, do not sign up for an event or waitlist yourself.
    Email me your user ID and I will upgrade you and send you an email that
    it is done and then you can sign up.

John
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    Oh, Thanks Mike! I was hoping it was CW. I really enjoy running the 1.7 CW.
    I'll do it if I have the cash and the weather is good.

any slots still open? I can't register on the Apex site of my work computer.

I may have the weekend free, but won't know until this weekend.

Novice is full, we have some intermediate/advaced spots open. Call 214 676 0385 next week and see what we can do, if you are a grad or have comparable experience

I can't do the 6th, but I'd like to try to do the event on the 20th, time permitting.

Keith, I'll contact you offline. I'd like to know how much room you have in the advanced group. At this point, I need to catch up to the car's capabilities...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

so I sent John Holmes an email about running the intermediate group, after we spoke last week, and apparently he's out of office. Keith, any ideas on what I can do to get on the grid for saturday? I can't register on the website at work or home in firefox or IE because of "database errors." Please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    so I sent John Holmes an email about running the intermediate group, after we spoke last week, and apparently he's out of office. Keith, any ideas on what I can do to get on the grid for saturday? I can't register on the website at work or home in firefox or IE because of "database errors." Please chime in.

Just to try to help you out, you may need to call 214 676 0385 to contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Just to try to help you out, you may need to call 214 676 0385 to contact them.
    i know better than to call so early.

john took care of it. I wanted to be sure I could get a slot for saturday.

anyone else here going tomorrow? If you want to see someone be totally embarassed out there...I'm the one to watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast