Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 135i

Default BMW 135i

Is anyone else interested in the BMW 135 that is coming out in the spring of 2008? I know it's "old news" (and there are probably a couple of threads on this board about it already) but I think that car could be pretty cool. It's hard to tell in the pictures I've seen if it looks good or just looks fat. BMWs usually strike me that way - except for the old 8 series, they just don't seem to take good pictures. But stuffing that 335 engine in a smaller (lighter) frame has got my attention. 0-60 times could be sub 5 seconds, and BMW rarely makes a bad handling car.

I'm starting to get serious about replacing my 8 year old CR-V with something a little better (heck, a '72 Vega would probably be better ), and the 1 Series -- including the recently announced droptop (http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...vertibles.html) is certainly on my list. I've been waiting for something to "grab" me, and maybe this is it?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I would be more interested in it if they offered a lighter, striped down version with a 4 cyl in it.

I might be interested in the 128i. It is on the list of replacements for my TSX.

(So was the new Mazda 6 until i found out that while Europe gets a new 6 based on the new Mondeo, we get the old chassis again. Stupid Ford...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Is anyone else interested in the BMW 135 that is coming out in the spring of 2008? I know it's "old news" (and there are probably a couple of threads on this board about it already) but I think that car could be pretty cool. It's hard to tell in the pictures I've seen if it looks good or just looks fat. BMWs usually strike me that way - except for the old 8 series, they just don't seem to take good pictures. But stuffing that 335 engine in a smaller (lighter) frame has got my attention. 0-60 times could be sub 5 seconds, and BMW rarely makes a bad handling car.

I'm starting to get serious about replacing my 8 year old CR-V with something a little better (heck, a '72 Vega would probably be better ), and the 1 Series -- including the recently announced droptop (http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...vertibles.html) is certainly on my list. I've been waiting for something to "grab" me, and maybe this is it?

What you want is a minty clean 05 RX-8 6spd. J/K I think the 135i will be a blast, I heard it probably won't have a LSD which sucks, maybe you will be able to scavenge one from an E46 M car.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

BMW has publicly stated that only full-fledged "M" cars will get real, mechanical limited slip differentials. The 135i will have to make due with selective brake application to simulate a real diff.

Still, it does look like it's going to be quite an interesting car.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    What you want is a minty clean 05 RX-8 6spd.
    Actually the RX-8 is on my short list too, along with the Infiniti G37 Coupe. As you can see, I'm looking mostly at up-scale 2+2 vehicles. The problem with the Mazda is the dealership is too far away (for general maintenance purposes), and I'm too lazy to do more than minor maintenance stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    BMW has publicly stated that only full-fledged "M" cars will get real, mechanical limited slip differentials. The 135i will have to make due with selective brake application to simulate a real diff.
    A modern day, performance oriented car without a limited slip differential?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

My question would be... can you get the 1-series without all that iDrive nonsense? I'm not sure I'd want a strippo 4-banger, but a 128 with just the bare necessities would be nice (AC, pwr windows, cruise, etc)...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Like turning brakes???

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Seems to work well enough for Boxsters and Caymans (which have never been available with a mechanical limited slip and have always gotten by with active braking), but they're mid-engine, so who knows?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Seems to work well enough for Boxsters and Caymans (which have never been available with a mechanical limited slip and have always gotten by with active braking), but they're mid-engine, so who knows?
    Just seems like an overly complex solution compared to a good old fashioned limited slip. My old 7 was prone to zero traction moments in the slippery stuff - so much so that it almost couldn't/wouldn't get out of its own way... esp when the turbo woke up (super-low compression + pretty big turbo = ginormous turbo lag + sudden one-wheel-drive).

Besides, I'd rather not have a computer decide that it's having a bad day and lock up one wheel just for shits and giggles...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

The original Elise offered in the US had no LSD IIRC, it wasn't until buyers (mostly autocrossers if I remember) demanded it that it became an option.

Actually the RX-8 is on my short list too, along with the Infiniti G37 Coupe. As you can see, I'm looking mostly at up-scale 2+2 vehicles. The problem with the Mazda is the dealership is too far away (for general maintenance purposes), and I'm too lazy to do more than minor maintenance stuff.

PM sent.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater View Post
    The original Elise offered in the US had no LSD IIRC, it wasn't until buyers (mostly autocrossers if I remember) demanded it that it became an option.
    The first 05's didn't have them and you could get them as an option at the end of the 05 builds, they were rare. Very few 06's have them as well, it's a bit of a rare option. I drove one that was supercharged on R comps and coilovers no less and it seemed fine without one. Certain people feel otherwise. I probably won't have one on mine, just the sport and touring packages.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Besides, I'd rather not have a computer decide that it's having a bad day and lock up one wheel just for shits and giggles...

For a second there I thought that was Iain posting... and had to look over to see who it really was.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I was actually very disappointed to hear that they wouldn't be selling the BMW 116i wagon. I was thinking lately that as my wife and I started a family, one day it would be nice to own a compact, fuel efficient, 4 seat luxury car. This is a car class that is common and competitive in Europe but non-existent in America. The fuel efficient requirement kinda eliminates the RX-8. I think a BMW 116i Wagon would fit that description handsomely. I only need one fun car, and the Miata is it.

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    I was actually very disappointed to hear that they wouldn't be selling the BMW 116i wagon. I was thinking lately that as my wife and I started a family, one day it would be nice to own a compact, fuel efficient, 4 seat luxury car. This is a car class that is common and competitive in Europe but non-existent in America. The fuel efficient requirement kinda eliminates the RX-8. I think a BMW 116i Wagon would fit that description handsomely. I only need one fun car, and the Miata is it.
    Audi A3 2.0T
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

The 135i seems like a good deal. Lots of power and I've heard from the 335i owners the car makes a lot of power with tuning. 70hp from tuning. This motor with the turbos that change shape or shaft something? Is quite nice and helps them make torque at very very low rpm's, less that 2000rpms it is already making max torque. On another note is does look good.

Correct me if I am wrong on any statements which I’m sure I am.

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    The 135i seems like a good deal. Lots of power and I've heard from the 335i owners the car makes a lot of power with tuning. 70hp from tuning. This motor with the turbos that change shape or shaft something? Is quite nice and helps them make torque at very very low rpm's, less that 2000rpms it is already making max torque. On another note is does look good.

Correct me if I am wrong on any statements which I’m sure I am.
    Not sure about any variable geometry with the turbos... the 335 has two small turbos that spool up quickly to reduce lag. It's also got direct injection and an unusually high compression ratio (10.5:1!). I have yet to drive one, but the specs look really good - it makes max torque from 1500-5000 rpm.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

The engine is incredible. I had a chance to run a 335i on a small autocross course during a publicity event. They let us run it back to back with the G35 coupe and the power of the BMW was great. It made the G35 feel like a slug.

I'm a N/A power junky, but the power delivery was really good. Not much lag at all, but it is still a turbo car. Putting this engine into a lighter car should be a lot of fun.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast