Thread: nitrous no start

Default nitrous no start

Like title says, 93 miata on bottle wont start after a heated run in wit a 01 SS. Car is completely stock (unmodified) other than the nitrous kit. Car drove a little funny after the drag race, then died after turning on to my street. Any ideas? What the weakest link in setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Car drove a little funny after the drag race, then died after turning on to my street.
    Can you define "funny?" Was it running rough? Making noise?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I am going to say that there is really no telling what could be wrong. I am gonna guess to check your spark plugs and wires first. IIRC nitrous makes the combustion much hotter, so maybe that did some damage to the spark plugs. That could cause it to run funny.

Next would be cranking the engine with the coil pack or CAS unplugged (NOT with only the plug wires disconnected as you'll fry the coil pack) and with the oil cap off.

You want someone to crank the engine while you look down in where the oil cap was to see if the cams are turning. If they aren't then you simply slipped your timing belt then broke it.

BTW: If you're running nitrous then you'll also want to run a compression and leakdown test. I wonder if you got it hot enough to toast a valve too.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

It was running ruff, kinda like the clutch was slipping (but its not, I have had a clutch go out on my first car when I was 16), not when you are flooring it but gassing it 35 to 70 percent throttle, right when it starts to build power and pull, it doesnt fall on its face but it definately starts to trip over itself, checked the plugs, they're good, my plug wires however look like the original ones that came on the car, pretty chewed up. Cams are still turning, when it died, it felt like it ran out of gas. But for sure its not.

OK...

If Cams are turning... plugs are ok... then do you smell gas on the plugs when you crank it?

If not, then it's probably a bad CAS.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

From my experience with the juice I'd say check the plugs and even your fuel filter.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)