Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trunk leak... still

Default Trunk leak... still

After this last big round of rain we had, I opened my trunk to find about 2 gallons of water sloshing around - AARRRGGHHH! Well, I finally found the drain plugs in the trunk, so those are out until I can keep the water out. Now, needless to say, I cringe every time it rains a whole bunch.

Anyhow, I poked and prodded around inside the trunk after the rain the other day, and I think I have water coming in around the driver's taillight - at least I'm pretty sure that's where the drips were coming from. So, today I'm going to hunt down some new gaskets and see where that gets me.

The question remains (and I may be beating a dead horse here), where else can water get into the trunk, besides the trunklid and the taillights?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Rain rail. Check the drains inside the car (near seat belt towers).

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Rain rail. Check the drains inside the car (near seat belt towers).
    OK I'll check those today too. Can the drains just be blown out clean with an air hose?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

I would get it good and dry, lay newspaper all over, close it up, hit it with a hose, and then check to see what areas of the paper are wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I would get it good and dry, lay newspaper all over, close it up, hit it with a hose, and then check to see what areas of the paper are wet.
    +1

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Can the drains just be blown out clean with an air hose?
    I use a mini-blind 'tilt wand'. Something thin and flexible that you can push thru it and clear out the crud (if there is any).

Talking

I used that same process with an old girlfriend of mine...

I was going to suggest getting in the trunk with a flash light next time it rains but I suppose that works too.

Rick,

I have a drain brush or you can use a coat hanger to clean out the drains. Also, an incorrectly installed rain rail will cause trunk leaks as well as the tail light gaskets. The tail light gaskets are cheap at Town North but they need to order them.

Come out Wednesday and we can look at your car and try the drain brush. Either that or swing by during the day.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Rick,

Come out Wednesday and we can look at your car and try the drain brush. Either that or swing by during the day.

Maybe you can find someone willing to climb into the trunk while you go through the carwash

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Maybe you can find someone willing to climb into the trunk while you go through the carwash
    Sounds like a job for Wags!

its a stretch, but did you check the antenna? my cousins miata was leaking through there.

I plan on being out there for the Wed Nite thing, so we'll turn the hose on Wags and put him in the trunk with a flashlight.

John, you up for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    its a stretch, but did you check the antenna? my cousins miata was leaking through there.
    That was a thought too, but it appears to be leaking mostly on the left hand side.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

I'd guess tail light gasket then but the drains or rain rail could contribute.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I'd guess tail light gasket then but the drains or rain rail could contribute.
    Ah, so the drains and the rain rail are two separate issues? I'm getting ready to go out and check here in a sec... finally.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Ah, so the drains and the rain rail are two separate issues? I'm getting ready to go out and check here in a sec... finally.
    yep.

Here is a drain brush. I have something similar to this. An incorrectly installed rain rail is harder to describe but I can see if it is not installed right. If it's cracked, the only way to tell is to remove it.
    ...and across the line.

All right... did a little field research and here's what I found out so far.

Both rain drains appear to functioning just fine. I poured about a quart of water on to each side of the top and let it drain down into the rain rail, then down onto the ground. The water flowed nicely down each drain hole. On the flip side, I saw water that appeared to be seeping out from behind the rain rail. That led me to pull up the carpet on the package tray and stick a paw up under there. It was pretty damp and funky, but not rusted or anything. Soooo... can this water somehow find its way into the trunk? It looks to me like that area is sealed off from the trunk. I R confused...

Taillight gaskets look a little old, so I'm going to go ahead and replace them for the hell of it - a cheap easter egg hunt. Also, now that I look at my trunklid seal, it seems to be a little flat-spotted in some places, so I may go ahead and swallow the $50 for that, too... couldn't hurt, I guess. I'd like to take a look at someone else's before I order it, though - someone with a dry trunk!

Thanks for the help so far...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

On the flip side, I saw water that appeared to be seeping out from behind the rain rail. That led me to pull up the carpet on the package tray and stick a paw up under there. It was pretty damp and funky, but not rusted or anything. Soooo... can this water somehow find its way into the trunk?
    Yep that water can make it back to the trunk!

The purpose of the rain rail is to collect water running down the back of the top, and channel it to drain tubes that empty to the ground just behind the doors. With time the plastic becomes brittle and cracks. If it leaks, water will drain onto the rear deck below the carpet, and from there into the trunk. Remove the rear deck carpeting and check the padding below. If it is wet, that is the cause. Without removing the carpet, if the car smells "damp" inside, there is a good chance this is the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Yep that water can make it back to the trunk!
    Yikes! Where does it come through???
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Yikes! Where does it come through???
    Opps sorry added more to my above post!

Let's review : The purpose of the rain rail is to collect water running down the back of the top, and channel it to drain tubes that empty to the ground just behind the doors. With time the plastic becomes brittle and cracks. If it leaks, water will drain onto the rear deck below the carpet, and from there into the trunk. Remove the rear deck carpeting and check the padding below. If it is wet, that is the cause. Without removing the carpet, if the car smells "damp" inside, there is a good chance this is the cause.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast