Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard is to swap out the dampers?

Default How hard is to swap out the dampers?

Now I have decided to revalve my Bilsteins. The next question is how hard it is to take them off and put them back? I think most of you around here already know how mechanically challenged I am. I have read the Garage Section of the Pointy Board. There are several steps I am not sure and also a few steps seem to require some tricks and a lot of elbow grease.

For those of you that has "been there and done that", what do you think? I am all for having some one like Stevan to do it for me, but I am not sure he want to have car over his place while we are waiting FCM doing the revale!

Gab
    Gabriel

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

A question for the more experienced. Is changing the shocks on an NB very much different from an NA?
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Is changing the shocks on an NB very much different from an NA?
    No.

Gabriel,

Drop me a PM. I'm not far down the road from you, and I could probably help you yank the shocks one weekend soon.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Gabriel,

Drop me a PM. I'm far down the road from you, and I could probably help you yank the shocks one weekend soon.
    Me, too.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Now I have decided to revalve my Bilsteins.

Gab
    What sort of a setup are you going with, I have a set of Bilstiens on a shelf that I have been thinking about having revalved.

I'd be game to help also!

Wow I just found the pricing, may leave those Bilsteins on the shelf a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/
    Bilstein standard revalve: for your desired spring rates, using stock digressive pistons

Revalve labor cost - $155 per damper
    Installation of needle valve to make damper serviceable - $14.95 each
    Shock fluid (2 bottles for 4 shocks) - $20.50 for 4 dampers
    S&H from FCM - $35 approximate (insured shipping)
    Total - $735.30* shipped to your door

Bilstein custom rebuild: uses a custom piston and tighter tolerances on damping forces for your desired spring rates. Includes (1) free revalve.

Rebuild labor cost - $155 per damper
    Installation of custom linear piston - $75 each
    Installation of needle valve to make damper serviceable - $14.95 each
    Shock fluid (2 bottles for 4 shocks) - $20.50 for 4 dampers
    S&H from FCM - $35 approximate (insured shipping)
    Total - $1035.30* shipped to your door
    http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Wow I just found the pricing, may leave those Bilsteins on the shelf a bit longer.

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/
    Wow!?!

With those prices, why not get a set of the PSS coilovers from Goodwin Racing? That way you can adjust the settings yourself and you aren't wihout your car for however long it may take.

Linkie
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Wow!?!

With those prices, why not get a set of the PSS coilovers from Goodwin Racing? That way you can adjust the settings yourself and you aren't wihout your car for however long it may take.

Linkie
    The price is very steep. I suppose you'd be paying (in part) for Shaikh's R&D into the optimal damper curves, etc - which might be more important if you're running high-rate springs, etc. I've been thinking of picking up a set of used Bilsteins and having them valved to match my Ground Control spring rates, but FCM is awfully spendy.

With a stock Hard-S car, I'd be inclined to have Bilstein rebuild them to OE spec - what's that, $65 each? Then again, for stock springs, the Bilstein HDs are supposed to be nice on an NB car. <$400, no down time...
    '96 M-edition

Looks like new ones are about the same price, wonder if the "sport" ones listed are the same as what Mazda bolted under my car back in Japan??

http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_...reYMM=storeYMM

Interesting, I'll be watching the results and see if the shocks lost much performance. Mine have 167 on the clock and they're the factory R pack bilsteins. I'm not paying 700 to revalve though, 65 might be do-able.

I also might yank the Konis/springs out of the RX-8 so if we do a party thing I may stop by
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Thanks for the offers from altiain, POS and Cone-Cerned. I will PM you guys once I have decided what to do. I have no idea it is this pricey to revalve!! I like to keep it OEM, but I think it is financially not the smartest thing to do. I am like POS not sure those on the Bilstien website are the same in my car. I also find some $93 Bilstein here. They have different part numbers from those on the Bilstein website. If they are the same from the factory. I may be better off buying new Bilstien instead of revalve. Anyone has any idea what are part numbers of the OEM Bilstein? Are those dampers on MazdaSpeed website are Bilstien? They go for $139 each corner too.

The other option is to get something else. Any suggestions? Gary has the TEIN Super Street Coilover for $950. It is possibly over kill for me, as I am not that sophisticated to adjust them. I guess I can learn. Good Win has the TOKICO Illumina $540 for dampers and $589 for damper + springs. The Koni from Good Win is $560. Of course the TCB KYB is an option, but I think the Bilstein has better ride quality. MazdaSpeed has the 99 SPEC MIATA SUSP KIT for $1280, which I have no idea what are in this kit. $950 is the top range I want to spend. Somewhere in the $500-600 range is my comfort zone.

Please, please give me your vote.

Thanks,
    Gab
    Gabriel

be careful of the KYB adjustable shocks

the only ones I've owned were too stiff even on the softest setting, and the adjuster knob did both compression and rebound together -- not normally what you want

the Tokiko adjustment is the same unless it has changed

if you go with replacement shocks, I like Konis and the yellow singles are about $550 or so

don't know anything about the Tien, no experience with them

the Spec Miata suspension includes some Bilstein shocks, Ground Control coil over setup, and the Eibach sway bars

the Bilstein part numbers that are on my Spec shocks are F4-B46-1488-H1 front, F4-B46-1489-HO rear
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    The other option is to get something else. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Gab
    I have a fully assembled set of Hard S Bilsteins & springs. Quick swap & all. If you want 'em (TCB pricing applies), shoot me a PM.
    Unsure of the mileage, but...uh, how should I put this?
    They sure are the stiffest things I've ever ridden on!
    Something tells me they've got plenty of life left.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

If you daily drive the car and you're a TCB, I'd suggest just replacing the shocks. A lower, stiffer Miata may look cool and might turn slightly quicker laptimes, but a stiff set of coilovers can really compromise daily driving comfort. I loved the Teins I had on the track... not so much on the street.

The Konis are definitely a great shock for a good price. If you do buy Konis, I'd opt for new ones, just to get the lifetime warranty coverage.

The KYBs may not be quite up to the quality of the Konis, but I still think they're a pretty good shock on the NBs, especially for the money. I ran a set on my '99 Sport for about 2 years, dialed to 2f/1r for the street and 3f/3r for autocrossing. Managed to trophy with that setup at a couple of Tours!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I like my Koni Sports. Only $400.

I also think POS Racing used some to score a 1st Place on the National Tour this season.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Looks like new ones are about the same price, wonder if the "sport" ones listed are the same as what Mazda bolted under my car back in Japan??

http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_...reYMM=storeYMM
    Check out eshocks . They sell new Bilsteins for a good price. I have AGXs on while I am looking at the Bilstein revalve, but the price of a set of new sport Bilsteins is very attractive.

I found this on the Bilstein website "Conventional shocks slowly lose efficiency and eventually fail over a period of time, causing excessive tire and suspension component wear. Bilstein shocks continue to deliver optimum performance for life." Is this means that it good until something falls apart?
    Gabriel

If you want to stick with Bilstein, you can get the HDs for under $400. It's NOT the same shock (nor is the Bilstein Sport) that came on the car from Mazda, but it IS a good shock, and you can swap them out in an afternoon and not be without a Miata for any length of time.

Bilstein will re-build your hard-S shocks to OEM specs for less than $300. But you'll have to be without the car while they do it.

IMO, Koni's ($500?) would be a nice upgrade that won't completely break the bank.

Springs & coilovers are another story completely. A whole bunch more options, likely a whole bunch more money. (And no more stock class autocross, if that matters to you) For a street-driven car (especially around these parts) I'd not bother - unless you're just dying to lower it. In that case, Teins (Basic or Super Street) would be a decent option.

The Spec Miata kit is not suitable for a street car.

My $0.02, YMMV
    '96 M-edition

I think my choices are down to KYB, Bilstien HD. Koni is out for 2 reasons. It is $600/set and I do not like the adjustment knob on the top that I have to cut into the lining of the trunk.

The out of the store price for KYB is $328 and Bilstein HD is $372. I am leaning toward the Bilstein. The $ difference is not that much. Plus the fact I don't like to get under the car to make the adjustment each time I AX. I have the KYB on my the other Miata and burnt my arm once on the hot muffler!

I hope the Bilstein HD is close to the OEM Bilstein in ride quality and performance. By the way, it has lifetime warranty!

Gab
    Gabriel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast