Thread: 1.8L Engine Swap

Suspension Modder

Default 1.8L Engine Swap

I am looking into doing a 1.8L swap into my 1991 Miata. I see a lot of these Japanese inport used motors around. Please forgive my ignorance, but are these acceptable or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

They should be acceptable, but try to get a compression check and leak down done on the engine before putting down your money, or make sure to get some sort of guarantee. Also be sure to budget for a conversion kit from Flyin' Miata. Makes the job much easier.

I think Rogue has done this swap on one or two if his Miatas. Check him out at www.miatasolutions.com if you are looking to farm it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I think Rogue has done this swap on one or two if his Miatas. Check him out at www.miatasolutions.com if you are looking to farm it out.
    That's a long drive from Richmond, TX.

Icepenguin66 has done one on his too.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I did it on mine using the flyin miata kit. Just to warn you, that kit does require some fabrication to make it work. You would think that for $190 it wouldn't need any....

I got my engine from Mazda/Nissian Heaven out off Mansfield hwy for $500 and its been a great engine. Its survived a year so far!

You can also check out this place. http://risingsunengines.com/ They bench test all their engines and have pretty decent prices.

If you need any help installing it let me know. I may know a trick or two that will safe you some time and grief!

I've also done the swap. Its not that hard, but I did not use some of the parts in the Flyn Miata kit. I used the egr plate, throttle body adapter, cable and coil bracket, thats it. I needed the O-ring for the old water outlet. You defiantly want to do the water pump and timing belt. Anything else that you can afford to do while the engine is out (clutch, slave cylinder, gaskets ect.) I would do also.

Paul
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I did the swap several years ago & have helped a couple other people do it as well. Let me know if you need any help. I have a write up somewhere on my computer that I added my notes to.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...