Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tankless water heaters?

Default Tankless water heaters?

Anybody have one of these installed recently? Our regular tank is getting about that age and with the $300 tax credit available, I've been looking at the tankless models. Looks like the one from Home Depot is around $650 + installation.. Anyone have one in their house?

-s
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

I have been looking at the one at Home Depot also, but my gas old tank style water heater seems to have "cured" itself for the time being.

Once it croaks I will be replacing it with a tankless unit. Figure it's worth the extra $$$$ to help lessen my Oncor Gas bill. Forgot all about the tax credit deal, thanks!

Shoefly, which one are you thinking about??

I know a couple of folks that have the tankless water heaters and they can't stop raving about them... the initial cost is more, but in the long run, they end up being alot more efficient.

Very cool. I'm just wondering what the installation is like...

I was looking at the Paloma unit capable for running 2 water sources at the same time. This used to be all home depot offered although it looks like now there is a bosch unit and anothe another listed. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gkg.0&MID=9876

Here's the tax credit info. I'm guessing this means they reduce your income amount by $300 with the credits?

http://www.energy.gov/news/2852.htm
    '97 FMII (previously)

Buyer beware!

1. You can only have 1 shower at a time and provided that the inlet water temp is 55. In the coldest days here, it may not be adequate?!

2. If you are serious about the tax credit, I believe you have to get your claim in early in the year. I heard that the Fed has a ceiling amount of tax credit they are giving out each year, once it is exhausted you are on your own!
    Gabriel

I have a 7 gpm Tagaki. It was recommended by an engineering firm I support and confirmed by a plumbing supply place I support. They both hate the Bosch. This unit runs 2.5 baths fine. My house originally had 2 50 gallon water heaters. I am replacing the other one to run the kitchen another bath and the washer and dryer. Mine is gas, but I put it in last year right before the prices went up, so it was hard to feel any savings. Get the control pad, its cool.

How was the installation?
    '97 FMII (previously)

$400 to my plumber Roger. It's in the attic, so I got a closet back in the house. The other goes in the garage. It's basic gas and water plumbing, but I suck at plumbing. I hooked up the electrical which is just a 110 for the igniter and the control pad. The only power is used for the control pad and when it lights the gas. If you get an all electric you will need a 60amp probably. The control pad is cool. It can show you flow in G so if you run your shower, you know it should flow 2.5 G. This can show if you have a clogged head.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Question

Back from the dead...any current users of tankless hot water heaters? Findings/recommendations to share? I think my current tank is on its last leg.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Back from the dead...any current users of tankless hot water heaters? Findings/recommendations to share? I think my current tank is on its last leg.
    When you get yours buy 2 and put one in my house also!

Thanks!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post

Thanks!
    Otay! As soon as I eat this orange.

The folks put in the tankless bastards during their remodel last year. I made the mistake of asking about them once, and they blabbed on for half an hour about how much they loved them. If you want the speach, stop by next week... they fly in Sunday.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The folks put in the tankless bastards during their remodel last year. I made the mistake of asking about them once, and they blabbed on for half an hour about how much they loved them.

Did they have to run a new gas line to feed it? From what I've read a 1" line is needed and most homes only have 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    You gotta hate thankless water heaters... damned ingrates.
    vBulletin Message
    Sorry Treibenschnell is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.
    Darnit......

Sammy you need to hurry up if you want the tax credit, I think it end the 31st.

http://www.tanklesswaterheaters.com/taxcredit.html

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...ergycredit.asp

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    ... they fly in Sunday.
    The tankless heaters or the folks? Or perhaps the thankless folks? Hmm...

Darnit......
    Love you too, pal!

Did they have to run a new gas line to feed it? From what I've read a 1" line is needed and most homes only have 1/2".
    Yes, but the house didn't have gas prior to the remodel. They did a MAJOR re-model, replacing windows, HVAC, wiring, Sheetrock, flooring, all new bathrooms and kitchen, moving walls, etc. Mom insisted on a gas stove in the kitchen, so they had a 500 gallon propane tank installed with new gas lines ran throughout the house.

I had to research about them last year. I ended up buying a 50 gallon Whirlpool from Lowes with the 12 year warranty. The ones from Home Depot are made in Mexico. I purchased the Whirlpool because it is made in the USA. It runs me about $15/month in the summer for my gas bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer Reports
    Look past capacity. Most water heaters are sold on that basis. But a water heater’s first-hour rating (FHR) is more important, since it tells you how much hot water the heater can deliver in an hour of use.

Determine how much hot water you need based on the busiest hour of an average day. Figure on roughly 2 gallons for shaving, 4 gallons for washing face and hands, 5 gallons for preparing food, 10 gallons for a dishwasher, and 20 gallons each for a 10-minute shower and a load of laundry. Factor in growing children and other issues that can increase your water needs.
    Once you’ve arrived at a total, be sure that the FHR on the new heater’s yellow EnergyGuide label meets or exceeds that amount.

Look for a long warranty. Most cover 6, 9, or 12 years. Heaters with the lowest and highest warranties differ by just $60 to $80 for electric models and $50 to $100 for gas units. But we found much bigger differences inside.

Electric water heaters with 9- and 12-year warranties typically had larger heating elements, thicker insulation, and thicker or longer corrosion-fighting metal rods, referred to as anodes.

Most higher-warranty gas heaters had bigger burners and better heat transfer for faster water heating, along with more anode material and thicker insulation. An exception: Whirlpool’s 40-gallon gas heaters, whose 9- and 12-year models are identical inside.

Longer coverage is especially important considering that warranties typically cover only the heater, not the $200 to $300 you’ll pay a pro to install a new one. You’ll also welcome a longer warranty if you have hard water and use water softeners. These softeners can speed up the rate of anode corrosion. While anodes can be replaced if there’s enough clearance to remove them, you’ll need a plumber unless you’re handy.

Measure before you buy. Last year’s tougher federal energy standards require about 10 percent higher efficiency for gas water heaters and about 5 percent for electric models. But the insulation addded to meet those standards has made some heaters up to 4 inches fatter, a potential problem for closets and other tight spots.

Consider gas. Based on national average fuel costs, gas heaters cost roughly half as much to run as electric models and can pay for their higher up-front cost in as little as a year. Factor in the cost of running a gas line to your home if you don’t have one. Also consider adding insulation to hot-water pipes and the cold water pipe exiting the water heater.

You may have heard about tankless water heaters, which save energy by heating only the water you draw. Those savings can add up to some $50 per year compared with conventional heaters. But even at that rate, it will take more than 25 years for an average household to recoup the extra $1,300 or so those units cost to buy, install, and maintain.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Question

Back from the dead...any current users of tank-less hot water heaters? Findings/recommendations to share? I think my current tank is on its last leg.

Thanks!
    I've been waiting when are they coming over to install my tank-less water heater??

What did ya end up doing Sammy??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What did ya end up doing Sammy??
    nada.....

I think the tankless route is going to be cost prohibitive due to the cost of running a new 1" gas line. I'll probably go back with another standard HW tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast