Thread: Cloth Top has wrinkles,Why?

Suspension Modder

Default Cloth Top has wrinkles,Why?

Evening folks,
    Got a question about my cloth top.
    I wash my car pretty regularly (once a week minimum) I always use the "foam brush" at the car wash after I get the heavy dirt off of it and gently use it on my top. It has developed loose looking waves fore and aft between first and second rib on top when it's up. Is this normal? if not, I got the car at Hiley Mazda in Hurst. I read the horror stories posted about them and if they can't fix a radio without a problem, I'm screwed. Any advice would be appreciated.....Dogg[/b]
    "Never pee off the angle deck"

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Not normal. Not sure I'd use the brush on the top. My dealer said water only when I bought mine, but there are some who swear by some of the aftermarker prep stuff.

Hiley in Arlington is a long way from Hurst in service and distance.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I'm not as familiar with the cloth tops, but the top shouldn't be loose in any way shape or form when up, especially on an '04. My OEM '99 vinyl top has six years and 90,000 miles of abuse, and it still stretches taut when closed.

As much as I hate to say this, I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to take a look at it. At least with an '04 you're likely to get a loaner with a working radio.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

There shouldn't be any wrinkles.

Do not use the brush on the cloth top. Do not use regular soap on a cloth top.

The only thing I have ever used on my top is <http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=kits> kit 2>
    You can buy it at local boat shops.

Chris

Suspension Modder

Thanks for all the help!
    I will have Hiley look at it. They got a tech named Mark, he has a turbo 04 Miata and is with LSMC seems to know his stuff. I assume that I shouldn't take "it's normal" for an answer. I sure won't use soap on it anymore either....Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by twodoggs
    They got a tech named Mark, he has a turbo 04 Miata
    Do me a favor and ask him if he remembers working on the radio of a Vivid Yellow 2002 Miata, if he says he does punch him in the back of the head for me!

isnt a turbo 04 just a MSM?
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    They got a tech named Mark, he has a turbo 04 Miata
    Do me a favor and ask him if he remembers working on the radio of a Vivid Yellow 2002 Miata, if he says he does punch him in the back of the head for me!
    I was going to suggest using Botox... but the car may be a bit too young for that.

Suspension Modder

Default Back to Hiley I go...

Hmmm,Botox, Well It may just do it... I'm going to Hiley this morning. If Mark recalls the Yellow 02 with radio problems, I'll head butt him in proper Scottish tradition....Dogg

Default Re: Back to Hiley I go...

Hmmm,Botox, Well It may just do it... I'm going to Hiley this morning. If Mark recalls the Yellow 02 with radio problems, I'll head butt him in proper Scottish tradition....Dogg
    Thanks my wife will appreciate that!

Suspension Modder

Default Go Figure

So, here I am, ready to go on my quest to get my top issue dealt with. I am also prepared to head butt a tech for correctly answering the 64 dollar question about a yellow 02 with radio problems and lo! the wrinkles are noticably smaller that yesterday and I figure ok, a wrinkle (even a small one) still don't cut it on a new car. I head out and after a few miles I get out to gas up and (you guessed it) NO MORE WRINKLES. I sheepishly turned around and went home. In my defense, They were there for over a week and very large. I don't get it. Any input?....Dogg

As Geoge Costanza would say....

IT'S SHRINKAGE!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Perhaps they upped the tension on the top?

I'd bet the car overheard you saying you were going to the service department to get it looked at and it fixed itself rather than have some ham fisted yahoo mess with it!

BTW. What color is your Miata, do you call it Christine???

What a bad movie that was...

Suspension Modder

Default Replies to many questions

Sorry folks, I was on the road for a couple days and apparently missed all the fun! Well, the car is sunlight silver (is there any other color?)with a black cloth top. The top,once again, is displaying the usual array of wrinkles and seems to be dependant of tempature. Warm weather seems to make em smaller instead of the other way around. As for the "Christine" reference I'll just say the car is only posessed when I get it to some really cool twisty sections on back roads (I do live for that)I'm thinking of gathering some intel on what might be the problem with the top from say, a top shop, before Hiley sees the car, that way I will able to spot any monkeyshines from them right away and call them on it on the spot. What do ya'll think? I just need a "top god" to help me out. Anybody know one?....Dogg