Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time diference between r-comp and street tires

Default Time diference between r-comp and street tires

In another thread that should remain dead someone brought adjusting the PAX for the tire class at ER events. The big issue is how much should it move. CSP pax is .856 and STS2 is .818 bouth are on the tough side dif. .038. Houston adjusts .017 for street tires. I think it should be .025. What do you guys think? ER is not thinking about doing this. I was just thinking what should it be.

.025 on a 60 second course would be 1.5 seconds, I think that would at least get it into the ballpark. Most people say that R comps are worth somewhere in the 2-3 second range depending on course and conditions on a 60 second course which would be .033 to .05?
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 01-23-2008 at 12:47 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I think .025 would be about right.

Cosmos,
    I heard that when I started about 5 yrs. ago. I think that street tires have gotten alot faster the last couple of years. More comparsons between st and sp. STX .820 and DSP .843 .023 dif. STU .830 and BSP .858 .028 dif.

Looking at STX and DSP .025 may have been to much.

I think ER would be willing to adjust the pax but they don't want to open a can of worms. No matter what they used some people would think it was too much others would think it was not enough.

CSP to STS2 is a difficult comparison to make. It might make sense when you look at most of the CSP cars, but a fully prepped CSP has way to many advantages over fully prepped STS2 car.

A real diff, "high compression" stock 1.8 engines, better flowing heads, lightweight dual-disk 5" clutch and flywheel assemblies, no emissions equipment, no MAF, IRTBs, fender flares with riduculously sized tires, no softtop...

Sorry, just remembering why I left CSP
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Cosmos,
    I heard that when I started about 5 yrs. ago. I think that street tires have gotten alot faster the last couple of years. More comparsons between st and sp. STX .820 and DSP .843 .023 dif. STU .830 and BSP .858 .028 dif.

Looking at STX and DSP .025 may have been to much.

I think ER would be willing to adjust the pax but they don't want to open a can of worms. No matter what they used some people would think it was too much others would think it was not enough.
    You have a good point, the new crop of AD07, RE-01R type tires are quite a bit faster than the older models. I think R comps have gotten abit faster as well though. Before the V710's and A6's came out R comps weren't nearly as fast (or durable). It is subjective though and I do think it might open a can of worms.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I agree Miatamoto I was just using the STS2 to CSP to get the biggest diference of .038. If the PAX is correct (and we all know it's not, but it is the best we have) the adjustment would have to be less than .038. As you pointed out alot less.

Thanks for reminding me why I did not take my miata to CSP.

Last year or the year before their was talk of adjusting the ER tire class PAX. Anybody know what hapend with that?

Not that concerned about it sense I run open. Just felt like sturring the pot.
    But it would be nice if we could give the tire guys a fair chance in PAX.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I agree Miatamoto I was just using the STS2 to CSP to get the biggest diference of .038. If the PAX is correct (and we all know it's not, but it is the best we have) the adjustment would have to be less than .038. As you pointed out alot less.

Thanks for reminding me why I did not take my miata to CSP.

Last year or the year before their was talk of adjusting the ER tire class PAX. Anybody know what hapend with that?

Not that concerned about it sense I run open. Just felt like sturring the pot.
    But it would be nice if we could give the tire guys a fair chance in PAX.
    It's easier to just jump ship and get on some R comps :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    It's easier to just jump ship and get on some R comps :)
    Easier, yes. Cheaper, no.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Ain't that the truth, actually it's not easier either especially if you drive a 2 seater car.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Sometimes R-comps are in fact nearly the same cost. Depends on your tire size.
    I am the Cookie Monster, not the macaroni monster.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Prova7 View Post
    A set of 15" R's would cost me about 2x more than a set of 15" Azeni's.

A set of 15" R's would cost me about 2x more than a set of 15" Azeni's.
    A set of Advan Neovas for an STU RX-8 cost $50 more per tire than B-stock V710s. Like Prova said, it's tire size dependent.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Prova7 View Post
    If you run STU on AD07's, most smaller STS/STS2 sized RE-01R's generally won't cost less than V710's. Also you don't need to pay for a hitch, trailer, jack etc for street tires of course that could all be amortized over say 5-10 sets of tires but still.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

If you run STU on AD07's, most smaller STS/STS2 sized RE-01R's generally won't cost less than V710's. Also you don't need to pay for a hitch, trailer, jack etc for street tires of course that could all be amortized over say 5-10 sets of tires but still.
    If you want to win (more than just local stuff), you'll add the cost of shaving, a trailer, a hitch, jack and extra wheels for STS/STS2.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    So it's cheaper if you grow a beard, eh?
    I'd love to see that. Even some F1 drivers like Jenson Button have beards and those teams spend millions to cut a few pounds off the car.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I'd love to see that.
    Because you can't grow one?

I think autocrossing on street tires works out alot better for small low hp cars than it does for big high hp cars. When ever the topic of banning r-comps in stock and sp comes up some of the vett drivers swear that it's cheaper to run r-comps. Probably why we see so many miata's and so few vetts in tire class.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Because you can't grow one?
    I'd rather not be able to grow hair on my face then on my head like some people *cough cough*
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast