Thread: NC tires

Suspension Modder

Default NC tires

I plan on getting some rims later this year but my OEM tires are about to go. I was thinking about getting some all season tires for the time being and getting the nice summer tires on the rims I'm getting this summer, is that a good/bad idea? The falkenziex512 specifically.

I don't drive aggressively enough for the summer tires and with all the bad weather we're having around here, I figure the all seasons might be better. Or am I just stupid?

I have Kumho SPT and they perform very well in both dry and wet conditions. I think they are a great bang for the buck. My size is 225/45/17 and they cost abot $85/ea. I'm pretty sure others will symapthise. Other brands/models that will probably be suggested are Hankook RS-2 (summer) and Falken Azenis (dry summer), but most good tires will be a welcome improvement over OEM rubber.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Summer tires are great, but there are plenty of good all-season tires out there that have more than enough grip for street driving.

The Falken Ziek 912 is the replacement for the 512 and is supposed to be superior in all ways except it's a little heavier.

I've also had good luck with the Kumho ASX and AST. Both are great street tires but I actually like the lower speed rated (and lower priced) AST better.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    The Falken Ziek 912 is the replacement for the 512 and is supposed to be superior in all ways except it's a little heavier.
    I like my 512s on my Acura, although they might be wearing a little fast. I would suggest the 912 for a good "street performance" tire.

And my Miata's OEMs are still going strong at 7k+ miles. I think I may wind up getting about 10k miles out of them which at my current rate of driving will be sometime later this year.

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    And my Miata's OEMs are still going strong at 7k+ miles. I think I may wind up getting about 10k miles out of them which at my current rate of driving will be sometime later this year.
    I guess I didn't drive correctly as I'm about to hit 20k this week. I don't know what I'd do if I had to get new tires every 10k. Probably sell it.

Or maybe I am misguessing how much longer the tread will last?

It's possible

Driver
    Blog Entries

A few months ago, (August or September,) I asked 2dayparts.com about their 512 stock, and they said they had over a hundred in 195 and 205 50R15 sizes. I don't know how many they have left, but it might be worth checking if you really want the 512s

I have 205/50R15 912s on my NB now, and have driven a friends NA with the 512 205/50R15 (or was it 215?) on it, and I liked the 512s a lot better. It could be the car, but it seems to me that the 912s don't grip well when it is real hot, and the 512s did. (I drove the 512s in the Mojave in the summer, so the roads were extremely hot.) On the way home, the car is more surefooted on the 635W to 35E southbound transition when it is cold than when it is hot. I have about a 110 degree turn (angle, not temperature) after a stop sign on my way to work, and the rear breaks loose more often than not, no matter what the temperature. If I had to do it again, I would probably go with 512s, or bite the bullet and pay for Yokohama Avids.

Or, the whole tire difference could be that my rear end is out of alignment - I haven't had it checked, and my rear tires wear faster than my fronts, although the wear is even across the tread.

Hope at least some of this is helpful.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio